Midwest Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

I agree! The parking lot is like the hotel ****ty. I will probably not attend next year. I usually bring between 3 to 5 cars. I guess we just got spoiled being on the other side of the highway.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They should have called it the Indian Uprising Off-Roading Adventure. lol

I live close by and The Pheasant Run has been in decline for years. Even in its glory days, it was running on past reputation as "the place to go". The rooms were horrible and the restaurants just sucked. I don't know if they still have the "Bourbon Street" shops in the resort but that was pretty run down too last time I was there (years ago).

The show-field parking was a bit tight. I got there late on Saturday and had plenty of room but Sunday was packed. It was just OK but then I am not one to spend a whole day at car show. I'm good for a couple hours, pickup a shirt and I'm gone. Met some really nice people, though. I didn't quite understand the all-brands cruise-in deal. I assume they got to park and show off their cars also at no charge (?).

Here's a pic of my car (parked in the rubble of what used to be an asphalt lot). It was Saturday and the herd was already thinned out so I didn't even try to keep it between the lines.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 08-14-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's one from the show that my head scratching. Original 455HO motor was rebuilt and freshly painted, new brake lines visible under the hood also. Had a bit of "patina" and $19K in shoe polish on the windshield.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefidee View Post
Facebook has taken over. Several Pontiac/GTO groups on there and tons of people. I hardly check on here anymore...or at least like I used to. It is killing our V-8 Buick site for our Pure Stock cars.

Jody
Yep. Exactly the whats going on. Ive been posting here all year with no responses. I post on Facebook and get a million.

Talks are underway about the lot for next year. Ill just leave it there.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 08-16-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
There was a unrestored 1974 T/A SD 4 sp with original paint parked just down from me I don't think he was happy with the conditions between the lot itself and trying to stuff as many cars into it as possible ( see my picture above). If they are staying there maybe they need to limit the entries to what the venue can hold. If they need to raise the fee $5.00 per than do that. Once its sold out its sold out, but the 2 1/2 to 3 feet betweeen cars is just not enough. These cars are worth too much to risk damage every time someone opens a door. The closeness also makes it very hard to look at the cars and of course walk between them. I hope that Paul addresses some of the concerns posted here, after all we have supported this show strongly for a very long time. I certainly love going to this show I hope to continue for a long time. The Crusin Tigers do a GREAT job other than these few but IMPORTANT issues. I hope they don't get to big and just blow off the concerns of the car owners that make up the show.
Im not sure why you come to the show Craig. You always have a complaint. And then You're still not happy.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 08-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
They should have called it the Indian Uprising Off-Roading Adventure. lol

I live close by and The Pheasant Run has been in decline for years. Even in its glory days, it was running on past reputation as "the place to go". The rooms were horrible and the restaurants just sucked. I don't know if they still have the "Bourbon Street" shops in the resort but that was pretty run down too last time I was there (years ago).

The show-field parking was a bit tight. I got there late on Saturday and had plenty of room but Sunday was packed. It was just OK but then I am not one to spend a whole day at car show. I'm good for a couple hours, pickup a shirt and I'm gone. Met some really nice people, though. I didn't quite understand the all-brands cruise-in deal. I assume they got to park and show off their cars also at no charge (?).

Here's a pic of my car (parked in the rubble of what used to be an asphalt lot). It was Saturday and the herd was already thinned out so I didn't even try to keep it between the lines.

The rooms in the tower which represent most of the room at the hotel have been renovated. The facility needs a facelift but it's not a dump as in your description. The staff is excellent to work with.

We rely on donations that night to earn money. We get quite a bit. If we didnt have the cruise, its a ghost town. You are the firts one to question the reason. More and more people come out every year. They have fun and go home. We like it and apparently, 8900 other people like it too.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 08-16-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont post here anymore because its a dead zone. And the few that do, just post complaints and don't post anything that they liked. We need to hear the good stuff to so we can decide if we need keep that around.

So does anyone have anything positive to say?? Just sorta curious.

Last edited by Old Blue 66; 08-16-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs4ever1971 View Post
I agree! The parking lot is like the hotel ****ty. I will probably not attend next year. I usually bring between 3 to 5 cars. I guess we just got spoiled being on the other side of the highway.
Sorry to hear that. You must like the swamp area after a rain storm or the wet grass in the morning. We got a lot of complaints about that too. Now its a VW dealer. Do you have a suggestion as to where else we can hold a show that needs the holding cap for at least 800 cars with an indoor facility? Im listening.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
The rooms in the tower which represent most of the room at the hotel have been renovated. The facility needs a facelift but it's not a dump as in your description. The staff is excellent to work with.

We rely on donations that night to earn money. We get quite a bit. If we didnt have the cruise, its a ghost town. You are the firts one to question the reason. More and more people come out every year. They have fun and go home. We like it and apparently, 8900 other people like it too.
The Pheasant Run let you down, not me. I came, I paid my way, it was an enjoyable experience. I've attended the Bloomington Gold event that was held on the grass and that is not a solution given the variability of Chicago weather. Yes the rooms in the high rise are better but the rooms in the 2 story leave a lot to be desired.

Honestly, all the Pheasant Run needed to do was run a sweeper through the lot and most would have been much happier. I agree that your choices are limited for that many cars. I'm sure you have been at this long enough to have run out of options for that many cars, though Grand Geneva Resort might be an option.

The fact that Pheasant Run has washroom facilities, a paved lot and indoor show floor for featured cars pretty much eliminates other venue options.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 08-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Illinois.html

Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel

Mecum Auto Auctions have held many events/auction here they have the room for cars indoors/outdoors, rooms are nicer, located just off of the expressway, plus many different places to eat (more to choose from than St. Charles area)

Last edited by Adecco; 08-16-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: opps
Old 08-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Here's one from the show that my head scratching. Original 455HO motor was rebuilt and freshly painted, new brake lines visible under the hood also. Had a bit of "patina" and $19K in shoe polish on the windshield.

Anyone check the #s on that car. I noticed the emissions sticker on the core support was for a 400. Core support could have been replaced but it was as rusty as the car itself, so...

Old 08-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Was their Saturday during the day more cars than i can remember on a saturday.
Came back saturday night for the Cruise, the lot was packed from one end to the other.

Quote:
So does anyone have anything positive to say?? Just sorta curious.
Came back Sunday and yes it was crowded, parking lot was crap , most people were careful from what I saw. Had a great day with old friends and a few new ones.

Couple short videos and the only pictureI took

https://youtu.be/11dNv8Fgnuk

https://youtu.be/oRydfXHY7v8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	form7475ta.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	461320  

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 08-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Im not sure why you come to the show Craig. You always have a complaint. And then You're still not happy.

Paul, You know I love the show and always praise the charitable efforts of the Club and participate in them. Even with its recent warts it is one of the top Pontiac show in the country but the conditions will keep the nice cars away at some point. Some SD's have already made that decision. If that is your goal you will succeed if the show continues this way. In any of my posted concerns can you quote one that you don't think is valid? If so please do, so we can open them to debate of those here that participated. I have supported this show long before you were ever even a thought. You have done a great job growing the show in size but with that comes the responsibility of quality as well.

You know that I am no fan of the BLACKTOP parking lot show and stated as much from the day the show moved . With my car being damaged the first year at the site it didn't exactly endear me to it. We used to be friends but now its nothing but the cold shoulder, I can only think that the damage to my car and the way the club handled it is the cause. I can deal with that and if I'm unwelcome by you to participate in the future I can deal with that too. My comments are only meant to make this a better show for the participants and it befuddles me that you don't care to discuss the issues that the show has or do you feel that there are none? You seem offended that some have issues with the show and point them out. I am far from alone in my observations and concerns. The Club did fix its one year ban on canopy's and it did make the Black top a bit more bearable. So please list my and others concerns that in your opinion are not valid points. I am bit interested in what you deleted from your post. I will be waiting for your response. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	461340  

Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adecco View Post

Mecum Auto Auctions have held many events/auction here they have the room for cars indoors/outdoors, rooms are nicer, located just off of the expressway, plus many different places to eat (more to choose from than St. Charles area)
If we went there, your registration cost would be double. Its very expensive. And this event is a charity event. Proceeds go to the kids. OUr show is just fine at PR

Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Paul, You know I love the show and always praise the charitable efforts of the Club and participate in them. Even with its recent warts it is one of the top Pontiac show in the country but the conditions will keep the nice cars away at some point. Some SD's have already made that decision. If that is your goal you will succeed if the show continues this way. In any of my posted concerns can you quote one that you don't think is valid? If so please do, so we can open them to debate of those here that participated. I have supported this show long before you were ever even a thought. You have done a great job growing the show in size but with that comes the responsibility of quality as well.

You know that I am no fan of the BLACKTOP parking lot show and stated as much from the day the show moved . With my car being damaged the first year at the site it didn't exactly endear me to it. We used to be friends but now its nothing but the cold shoulder, I can only think that the damage to my car and the way the club handled it is the cause. I can deal with that and if I'm unwelcome by you to participate in the future I can deal with that too. My comments are only meant to make this a better show for the participants and it befuddles me that you don't care to discuss the issues that the show has or do you feel that there are none? You seem offended that some have issues with the show and point them out. I am far from alone in my observations and concerns. The Club did fix its one year ban on canopy's and it did make the Black top a bit more bearable. So please list my and others concerns that in your opinion are not valid points. I am bit interested in what you deleted from your post. I will be waiting for your response. Thanks
The club handled it absolutely the right way. We paid you you to fix the car with in a week. And I never said you were not welcome at the show. Thats never been said to anyone.

Craig, You live 10 minutes from me in the next town over. Message me with your fav beer and we'll bench race with both cars in the driveway at my house. I don't participate in web debates, ever.

And to the rest of the people reading this, We are in desperate need of committee members for show planning. Please reach out if you have ideas and would like to present them. We are a fun group and welcome new friends.

I'm east bound and out.
PW

Old 08-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

What about Kane county fair grounds? Or better yet, park on the golf course like the vett guys get to do

Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

While I was unloading my car in the filled trailer spots, I still had to deal with golf carts passing by the car and trailer and most important my Son. I gave the show which I love a 2nd chance at PR. 1st year at PR my son almost gets hit in the head by golf ball. I will see how I feel if the parking lot gets repaved if I will attend next year.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may be a minority in this thread, but I enjoyed myself! The parking lot is what it is as far as I'm concerned. The car probably saw worse when I drove it there. Lots of nice cars, and great conversation with like minded folks! One suggestion, is to see if some repop vendors, such as Ames would bring a trailer with parts for sale. I brought cash to spend with some if they wrre there, but no luck! I'll be back next year though, along with my buddies that came with!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

Originally Posted by Adecco

If we went there, your registration cost would be double. Its very expensive. And this event is a charity event. Proceeds go to the kids. OUr show is just fine at PR

I know of several Speed shops/engine builders in the area that would more than be interested in attending this event but only if at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel, and before you say "no" attend Mecum on Oct 5-7th.. ..I like St.Charles and PR, but it is maybe time for a change of venue....

Old 08-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Move it back across the street where it was before and park on the Grass where we car put up Canopies and strech our legs. I believe Ames was there one year. That show had 500 cars one year with room to spare. I might even come back.