Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Pontiac Tri-Power Carburetor Information

Some background information:

I worked for the Ford Motor Company, for 39 years, at their Research & Engineering Center in Dearborn Michigan.

Across the street, from the R&E Center is the HENRY FORD MUSEUM of AMERICAN INNOVATION. Inside the Museum is a 1965 Pontiac GTO with a Tri-Power Engine and the hood is open for all to see the special Tri-Power Engine.
A sign above the car says the car represents "POWER".

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/

I used to eat my lunch inside the Museum occasionally and sat close to the 1965 GTO.
I did not really pay much attention to the car as it was a 1965 GTO and I owned a 1964 GTO.

One day I actually LOOKED at the 1965 GTO engine and noticed that there were several GLARING ERRORS with the way that the 1965 Tri-Power Intake and Carbs were assembled and mounted on the engine.

I spoke with the Curator (manager) of the 'Automotive Displayed' vehicles and told him there were some things wrong with his 1965 GTO.

So we went to look at the car and I showed him each one of the mistakes on the engine.
He was not happy (as they had paid a bunch of money for this 'restored" 1965 GTO.) I will not mention the amount.

So I offered to correct the mistakes on the Engine Tri-Power System.
I would do this for free but I would try to get donations of parts and information from Pontiac people
and from GM Rochester Products Engineering that might be available.

I will not add any thing else to that story except to say that Rochester Products was one of the companies who offered to help with the restoration of the carburetors as well as carb rebuild/ CALIBRATION information.

Pontiac Engineering no longer exists and neither does the Rochester Products carburetor Division,
they disappeared during the GM bankruptcy.

The other thing is Rochester Products Sent Me The Information vs someone stealing the information from a GM location. This was so I could make sure the Carburetor calibrations were "Spot On" for the Museum car and the
1965 Tri-Power system. My daughter, the Lawyer, says I have no issues with providing this info to Pontiac members.

So who would like to know what the real Tri-Power Carb calibrations looked like?
I provided a lot of the Holley Carb Info on the Holley Carbs in another thread.
I worked for Holley and they gave me the "BOOKS" with the info.
This thread would be a similar format.

Once we got past the "interested or not interested posts" I would start the
passing on of the carb info for the 1964, 1965, and 1966 Tri-Power Carb systems.

Post up your thoughts.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 02-29-2020 at 11:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: