Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Default ideas on buying a floor jack

I am looking at new floor jacks and was looking for any input from some who have purchased one recently. It seems like all I can find is "Made in China".
I only need to lift a car or pickup.
I have to be able to carry it between garages.
Reasonable Price
The last Craftsman I purchased lasted about 3 years.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Exhaust Guru

I bought a Made in USA Hein-Warner. Heavy and strong!
Tom

Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Buy the best one you can afford. If you buy a cheap one and it collapses the best you are going to get out of it is damage to your car and the worst is someone could get hurt along with damage to your vehicle.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Tom
I was looking at hein werner jacks, it says they are usa.
They are now owned by Shinn fu of tawian. I was also looking for a lighter jack to carry and a two piece handle for close quarters.
Jim
What brand did you buy?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I still have an old craftsman that's getting very old. I too am hoping someone has a good suggestion for buying one as I need a new one too. I don't care about light because I'm a big guy. I care about strong, and made in the USA is a very good addition too.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My harber frieght, sams club, autozone, jacks all lasted about three years of pretty constant use. For the 50.00 to 60.00 bucks I am very pleased with each. All still work they start leaking fluid after a couple to three years keep fluid full no problems. We use NAPA lincon at work [dealership] they are a better jack but cost 250.00 up new ones are not as good as the ones they replaced but better than the cheap ones. For home use I wouldnt hesitate to buy the cheaper jacks just always use jack stands. I have heard the aluminum racing jacks are not real good over on the HAMB. My thoughts Rod Cole

Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 PM

I bought my last one at Carquest. It's a good unit.

From what the Snap On dealer told me when I was shopping around. The jacks with the U joint in the release mechanism are the better ones on the market. THe ones with the gear driven release are made cheaper and won't last as long.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I heard the offshore units have a decent pump and will last if you take them apart and clean them out when you first get them. Buddy says he finds metal shavings in them???? I have a collection of older US stuff, BlackBird etc. and some offshore stuff and the big difference is the spare parts availability. Just bought an old Nor-Co tranny jack, made in Asia but for some reason has a US parts depot??