THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-07-2022, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default delco speedo cables

I chose to put this question (hopefully a discussion) in the lobby, because I believe that all the model sub-forums might benifit from it.

I delve down little rabbit holes to look for the correct parts, and one that I have had poor luck on is establishing a correct speedometer cable.

Yesterday I found the original part number for a speedo cable applicable to my car in an assembly manual.

This is the entirety of what I found and complied yesterday:

• original GM part number: 6477217 (assembly manual)
  • replacement GM number: 64778177 (nov '74 MPC; noted as type CC-536)
  • replacement GM part number: 6480215
  • replacement Delco part number: CC536
  • later GM/Delco replacement number: 88959477

This link was of great help
;
It told me that the original cable should be 65" long.
It also gave me two "new" part numbers which cross referenced against the Delco CC536 number, while also explaining which number was for whom.

My first question is:

Did speedo cables have their own separate delco catalogs?

I have these giant binders (pictured below) that I picked up at the PDX swap meet years ago, I believe they belonged to a zone rep for Delco, but I cannot find any speedo cable listings - only service bulletins and the like in the far left one.
The right most one is chalked full of application listings, but does not mention speedo cables.

I'd really like to see something that compares the different part numbers, preferably the "CC" delco numbers since these ones are often on eBay.

I then went out and measured the replacement cable I bought for my car in the late 1990's, as well as two spares I picked up over the years;
these are what I have:
1) 80" (this is the one I had on my car)
2) 69"
3) 66"

If that link was correct in the length of the CC536 cable, then I should be good (I seem to remember that the cable I had was a bit of a nuisance because of extra length), but the bigger question is:

Does anyone have a source to compare or glean information between Delco numbered speedometer cables?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3226s.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	600093  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post: