1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1989 TA rear end question

i have a 1989 Trans Am in pretty good condition.305 tuneport,auto, t-top car. someone put GTA emblems on it during a repaint at some time, but this is a TA. i love the car and it's handling, it has 16x8's with the 245x50's like the GTA's (i had a 88 5speed that i wish i had back).
anyway, my question is what all do i need to put a GTA dick brake rear end in this thing? i might just go with new gears, but either way i hate the moon gears this thing has, 2.73'sor something like that. it cruises at 1600rpm and i want to get it up where the engine wants to work, 3.27's at least.
what are your ideas??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89gta.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	255313  

Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3.42 are the GTA gear and theres plenty around. I would make sure you put a fan switch on the head so the fan turns on at like 179 to get a head start on the heat or youll cook your tranny. I would run a 170 T stat or even a 160 as well. No worries engine will run in closed loop, especially with lack of radiator air and alcohol making engine work more.
I would keep the highway gears for MPG and run the car in 3rd if you want some noise and pulling power.
You have a disc rear now or drum?>

Old 09-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this is the 3rd 3rd gen if had and the worst running. i had an 86 set up almost the exact same way, 305tpi,auto,2.73 gears and it run about the same, but got 20+ mpg. my 88 GTA had the 305tpi, 5 speed, 3.45 gears and would pull down 24+ if i kept me foot off the floor(that was hard).it would almost run with my 73 455 Trans Am which would pull 13+ and burn the tires any time i wanted.
this one is a 305tpi, auto, 2.73 gears, and the best i have gotten is 17, the worst, 13, with most times around 15-16. one problem is they added a chip, which is making run way to rich, and a different aircleaner system, which i think is causing the mass air flow sensor to read wrong. i'm having the paint redone on the car while i am gone, and will work on the engine when i get home. it is pretty tight only having 85XXX mile on the motor and trans. it will never be a race car, i have those, but it still should run better.