Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

In a post about mini-starters, Coaster2002 referred to "the hot start problem." Is this a classic GTO difficulty? I just got my 67 HO last July. Once in a while, after a run of 6-7 miles or more, she wouldn't start for me right away. I figured that either I had some loose wiring, or that the starter solenoid was starting to go. Now I'm beginning to wonder. Is it just a matter of waiting for a cool-down? Any other ways besides installing a mini-starter to deal with the problem? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

In a post about mini-starters, Coaster2002 referred to "the hot start problem." Is this a classic GTO difficulty? I just got my 67 HO last July. Once in a while, after a run of 6-7 miles or more, she wouldn't start for me right away. I figured that either I had some loose wiring, or that the starter solenoid was starting to go. Now I'm beginning to wonder. Is it just a matter of waiting for a cool-down? Any other ways besides installing a mini-starter to deal with the problem? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried to wrap it with that "high performance" heat wrap crap that you can buy. Don't waste your money.. It took me an entire Saturday to drop my starter, wrap it up and get it back in the damn holes. I am going to look into a mini starter this spring.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 AM

PERFORMANCE YEARS SELLS A HEAT SHIELD TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM

Old 02-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually fixed mine with heavier wire, and the heat shield.
From what I was taught on this forum, is when the engine get's reaaly hot, so does the battery cable. I installed 1 gauge wire and I wrapped the mini in some heat wrap(velcro style), and it fixed my problem. Kinda a blanket, took 2 min, to install from Summit.
I also installed a remote solinoid for this also, as I moved my battery to the trunck, and the voltage had a farther distance to go.
Try a heavier gauge cable from the battery to the starter first, somewhat inexpensive and easy to do. Then try the other methods. Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 6tee7goat

With the HO manifolds you will need the heat shield although it really depends what temp. your car is running. My car ran hot and would occasionally have the problem even with the shield installed. Usually just letting the car cool off should be ok although I've heard that tapping the starter with a hammer sometimes works if you're in a hurry.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Chief

Rugratman...I'm glad you mentioned the positive cable gauge and the wrap. Thanks. I also have a related question. Do you know, or anyone else, what the proper routing is for the positive battery cable on an HO? At the moment, mine drops directly from the battery to the front of the block, then straight back to the firewall and connections. Should it really run along the wheel-well, over the steering shaft to the back? I've been looking for pictures of a stock HO engine compartment that shows the cable routing and the location of the plug wire looms.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:12 AM

I had that problem and managed to fix it by just adding "starter shims" to adjust how the starter mates up with the block, and also wrapped the starter in heat sheild. Except for the initial adjustments in replacing the old shim with first one larger one, where the problem continued, then adding a second one, which fixed the problem, I never had any problems the rest of the summer. Total cost was about $3 for the shims and $15 for the heat shield.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Chief

If memory serves me correctly, the positive lead from the battery on and HO car goes along the drivers side of the block, through a metal shield about 7-8 inches long that is attached to the driver side motor mount (this is behind the cast headers) to the starter. The starter soloniod also has a heat shield attached to it on the HO cars to help keep it cool.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...0484#740100484

Old 02-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the links, Gene...the pictures and diagram are very helpful.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

The hot start problem most people refer to is caused by the starter solenoid being overheated by the headers or HO manifolds.

These manifolds are obviously larger than the stock ones and run too close (almost touching) the starter, which makes it overheat and it won't start for a while....

A number of ways to solve it, but i'd recommend just getting a high torque mini starter

That's what i did, after trying the shield, which didn't work, the wrap, which didn't work...and both together, which didn't work (on my '67 HO).

The mini starter has never failed me and i love it to death

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE