The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-04-2001, 08:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 69 Judge that needs a full resto. Will repro full quarters be available in my lifetime? What is the opinion of the group about the replacement quarters available now? ( full length but half height)

Thanks,
John

Old 07-04-2001, 08:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 69 Judge that needs a full resto. Will repro full quarters be available in my lifetime? What is the opinion of the group about the replacement quarters available now? ( full length but half height)

Thanks,
John

Old 07-05-2001, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "hip" 1/4's available for 68 & 69's are not very good. The repop 1/4 tends to be a little long & tall across the wheel well & the rear whell well opening moldings have to be "tweaked" to fit. I'm working on a '68 GTO right now & having seen the 68-69 1/4 skin nightmare now 3 separate times have managed to get by using the over the wheel well & lower rear patch panels. If the car was going to be anything more than a nice performance-driver, I would have used solid rear 1/4's from a donor car (ton of work & expense). NOS 1/4's for these are very tough to find (nearly nonexistant).

Old 07-05-2001, 06:01 AM
On Vacation

John CT:

If at all possible, keep as much of the original quarter on the car, and only replace the rusted areas. I've seen quite a few quarters put on, and to be honest, the trunk and door lines never quite line up right again. (although they end up looking acceptable)

There is a trend here in Pa., guys are patching the original quarters on the car, with the patch panels that go in front of or behind the wheel. From the top of the wheel opening to the roof NEVER rusts anyway, and it's better to keep the factory fit on the car.

If you use a "hip" patch panel, you are left with a long seam down the side of the car, to blend in with body filler. Very laborious and expensive. And the hip panels are of low quality steel, that I've used. We had a set that rotted through already, behind the wheels, and have to be replaced AGAIN.

Good point, OPH.