The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-26-2001, 04:43 PM

Sitting here daydreaming about my '67 Tempest resto....the car is an excellent candidate for a frame off resto...all original, straight frame, rust-free body...just a bit worn out. So, what's the safest, best, easiest way to remove the body/trunk section from the frame using simple hand tools (ha-ha-ha). Or is this one of those things you should never try at home?

Thanks, appreciate any insight you guys care to pass along.

Mike

Old 10-26-2001, 04:43 PM

Sitting here daydreaming about my '67 Tempest resto....the car is an excellent candidate for a frame off resto...all original, straight frame, rust-free body...just a bit worn out. So, what's the safest, best, easiest way to remove the body/trunk section from the frame using simple hand tools (ha-ha-ha). Or is this one of those things you should never try at home?

Thanks, appreciate any insight you guys care to pass along.

Mike

Old 10-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This post might be of some information. http://performanceyears.com/ubb/Foru...ML/000091.html

[This message has been edited by Held for Ransom (edited 10-26-2001).]

Old 10-27-2001, 08:21 PM

Thanks a bunch for the archive thread....this gives me some good ideas and a place to start. Doesn't sound like it is too difficult if you're careful and take your time.

Old 10-28-2001, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mudhen

Getting the body off the frame isn't as hard as it sounds. I had mine off in on day. The thread that you read was started by me, and I have some pictures of it on my website: http://home.rochester.rr.com.

Here is an addition to the way I did it. Bolt a chain to the inner fender brackets at the firewall and use a hoist for the front of the car. I lowered mine back onto the frame that way and it was very easy.

Built the supports with cross brace holes about every 5 to 6 inches. You want to take it in small steps to ensure stability. Then jack up the rear, insert a support. Then the front and insert a support. Keep doing this until it is high enough to roll the frame out from under it.

Here is a pic of my body when it was off the frame:

Hope that helps. Feel free to e-mail me if you have further questions.

Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/