THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM

Deadhead hit the nail on the head. I spent 90 minutes on the phone last night with Merle and voiced my concerns about the state of the club and made suggestions, but I'm confident that nothing will change. He believes that most of the membership doesn't really care about the outcome of this year's BOD meeting with respect to the editor contract choice. He thinks that the concerns are coming from a 'vocal minority' on social media and he puts no value on input from non POCI members. He is in denial in my opinion and feels that he and the board are doing a good job. This is all that I am going to say on the matter, but I plan to assemble a set of notes that I took during the conversation as a lot was discussed.

I suggest that you call or email Merle with your concerns because he told me that I was the only one that sent him an email. His information is on the POCI.ORG page under "contact us".

Trust me, you are being heard by voicing your concerns here because Merle and several BOD members are following along.

John

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

'57 Chieftain - 455 2-4Bbl
'57 Star Chief 4-door
'62 Grand Prix, 389
'63 Wagon 421 2-4Bbl 4 speed
'66 Catalina 421 Convertible
'67 Catalina 2dr. sedan - 400
'68 Grand Prix - 400 - 4 Bbl
'73 Grand Am
2006 Solstice

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Chieftain View Post
Deadhead hit the nail on the head. I spent 90 minutes on the phone last night with Merle and voiced my concerns about the state of the club and made suggestions, but I'm confident that nothing will change. He believes that most of the membership doesn't really care about the outcome of this year's BOD meeting with respect to the editor contract choice. He thinks that the concerns are coming from a 'vocal minority' on social media and he puts no value on input from non POCI members. He is in denial in my opinion and feels that he and the board are doing a good job. This is all that I am going to say on the matter, but I plan to assemble a set of notes that I took during the conversation as a lot was discussed.

I suggest that you call or email Merle with your concerns because he told me that I was the only one that sent him an email. His information is on the POCI.ORG page under "contact us".

Trust me, you are being heard by voicing your concerns here because Merle and several BOD members are following along.

John

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Done. I emailed the board officers. Smoke Signals has been a pleasure to read since Don took the helm as editor. Hopefully more folks will contact them as well.

President
Merle R. Green Jr. [ gtopilotc5@gmail.com ]
Term Ends: 2016
4 Mt Lebanon St
Pepperell MA 01463 US
Phone: 978-433-6016

Vice-President
Wayne Beran [ pontiacwberan@aol.com ]
5128 Oak Center Drive
Oak Lawn IL 60453 US
Phone: 708-425-2826

Secretary
Peggy Mullinax Cox [ peggymullinax@yahoo.com ]
7345 Old Springville Road
Pinson AL 35126 US
Phone: (205) 602-6463

Treasurer
Simone Young [ sy223@aol.com ]
4803 NE 144th Street
Smithville MO 64089 US
Phone: 816-820-0239

Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Chieftain View Post
He thinks that the concerns are coming from a 'vocal minority' on social media and he puts no value on input from non POCI members. He is in denial in my opinion and feels that he and the board are doing a good job.
Right. The voice of someone in total denial. Never mind that those voices are of FORMER members. If you do not care about current or former members what does that leave? In my conversation with him, he denied that there were any younger people interested or even potentially interested in the hobby, which apparently lead him to dismiss all my pleading for trending in a car tech and more technologically oriented club to help him with his issue of declining membership AND cater to the desires of the current membership. With him it was all about the convention, which he would not consider having in a popular location to attract more members. Most likely, the choice of location is also another plum handed out to some "connected" individual.

Please consider voting with your feet. At least temporarily. Starvation = motivation. Where does that $35-40k from the new members go? What are ALL the perks enjoyed by board members? Do you publish an audit & budget every year for all to see? If there is a dearth of cash, things may be more attractive to folks who wish to be involved for the love of the cars and the people who make the Pontiac hobby the best in the car culture. That is what bugs me about POCI the most. The board & office there has become the only part of the Pontiac hobby where people fail to surprise to the upside with generosity and true friendship stemming from a shared passion for the coolest cars on the planet. There's your sign.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just emailed the big 3. After thinking about not renewing my membership I will renew and Vote! Sounds like good old boys club politics!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Hello,
I am Merle Green President of POCI. Some people have been asking for an explanation of what happened with the job of Editor at Smoke Signals Magazine. The contract for Smoke Signals editor expires on September 30, 2015. In April the Executive Committee drafted a Request for Proposal (RFP) to provide services as the editor of Smoke Signals. We received two bids: one from Keefe Media (Don Keefe) and one from Pontiac Vintage Press (Tim Dye) by the cut off date of June 19, 2015. Both applicants made presentations to the Board. Don included a photocopy of the upcoming August issue of Smoke Signals in his presentation, and Tim included Remembering Pontiac, his recently published magazine of Pontiac and Oakland articles.
The Board debated for nearly an hour before a vote was taken. Many issues were discussed, and the samples submitted by the applicants were compared. As President, I do not vote unless there is a tie. I did not cast a vote in the Board’s decision. The majority of the Directors felt that it was in the best interest of the organization to accept the proposal from Pontiac Vintage Press. This was not an easy decision, nor was it taken lightly. Whenever there are two or more proposals, someone wins and someone loses.

There has been mention of me saying, “The board is going in a new direction.” That was during my conversation with Don when I was telling him Tim Dye was voted to be the new editor. This was very difficult news for me to deliver as I have a lot of respect for Don and value his contributions as the editor and a POCI member for the past 9 years. The “new direction” that I mentioned was just in the context of the voting results. Very plainly, the “new direction” is just the fact that a new editor has been appointed. It should be noted that neither has anyone posted nor would anyone post any contract details anywhere. My first response to Don’s Facebook page was deleted (twice), but not by me or by any director.
I have known Don Keefe and Tim Dye both for well over 20 years. Both have excellent credentials to be our Smoke Signals editor. We know Don’s credentials. Tim has over 30 years of experience writing and publishing books and articles mostly centered in the Pontiac and collector hobby. I would have accepted and worked with either candidate.
I care deeply about this organization, the health of this hobby, and preserving the history of the Pontiac, Oakland and the GMC brands. I spent 21 years in the Air Force. During that time I joined POCI. After I retired, I worked briefly for Steve Ames, then started a company called Warrior Revival to sell Pontiac parts for Full Size cars and Grand Prixs. Warrior Revival became part of Performance Years, which is now part of Ames. Now that I am retired, I spend 30-40 hours a week devoted to POCI as club President.
I am not President for the politics or for the “free conventions” which are not "free" for any of the officers or board members, who willingly sacrifice their time and money to serve. I am president because I remember the thrill when a used car dealer handed me the keys to my ’66 GTO convertible in December of 1967 and the thrill when I banged through the gears — then and now. I am president because I hope to make a difference and ensure that people of all ages continue to be thrilled by Pontiacs, Oaklands and GMCs. I hope everyone will continue to provide input, whether it be an article for Smoke Signals, a comment or a concern about an event or publication, or just by keeping the discussion going, so we can continue to grow this club to promote Pontiac, Oakland, and GMC.
I only ask that everyone reserve criticism until they know all the facts surrounding any issue, and in this case, also until they have seen a copy of Smoke Signals published by Tim Dye.
I will be at Norwalk from July 31 through August 2. Please feel free to talk to me there. Otherwise, my contact information is published in Smoke Signals.
Best Regards,
Merle Green

Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So,, there you have it. I plan on keeping my membership.

POCI.org
Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Merle, thanks for responding.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The way to kill speculation and the like is with the facts. Now that we have them, we can each make our own decision. Thanks Merle, helps a lot.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With all due respect to Tim Dye......the timing of this change is horrendous.
I've always had an opinion regarding my cars is that if it"ain't broke, don't fix it". I think
that notion applies in this case. Smoke Signals has been getting better with every issue
for the last several months, with more content that is interesting to read with each concurring issue. I complained about too many old derelict ads and Don has been working
on getting rid of them. Regardless of Tim's credentials, why create derision in the club just
when it is getting on a roll with lots of new members. Shame on POCI for quashing this momentum that was taking place by making an unnecessary change that is going to rile
up a lot of members who had just signed back on to give POCI another try. I don't think the
club is in a position to be stirring up "S##T right now, and this move is guaranteed to do just that.As a 33 year member of POCI I find this move disgusting and very disturbing.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb Food for thought: Why is it I have to find out about POCI here on PY Forum?

Food for thought: Why is it I have to find out about POCI here on PY Forum - instead of direct from POCI?

Point is simple really - POCI has my (and most every other current and past member's) email and / or mailing address...in fact I did receive a email renewal notice from POCI...but I have to read "the facts" here on an unaffiliated "social media" and FB forums, really? Why?
Are we STILL stuck in the 20th Century, POCI communication wise?

Some have suggested "voicing opinions on the POCI Forum" and even provided a link...notice the link begins with "secure" meaning you must log in...which I did attempt to do exactly that...but error message said something to the effect of "your membership expired July 15..." So I'm not available to make comment unless I put another $35.00 in the coin slot to possibly endorse a counter to my liking methodology? Wow!

Kindly Intended For Merle: All of these postings and should have - and could have - been prevented by upfront and timely electronic communication from POCI, and that starts at the top Merle and of those who voted in the changes! Social media and communication is here whether we like it or not...this Forum is a perfect example of that point. If you ("the board") wanted to move traffic and true discussion about POCI direction change and were interested in past/present/future POCI members input YOU ("the board") should (have) provide a FREE POCI Forum link for all to do exactly that on POCI forum and website. Seems so simple...

Everyone posting here is aware this FREE PY forum is the backbone of the Pontiac Hobby, NOT POCI Forums where there is little to no activity...aka Crickets.

Finally: I've no axe to grind with any board member, new editor or affiliated chapter(s) and mean no disrespect. Even after reading the above "facts" it is unclear what criteria was used to vote in the change? I must say that simply based on the title of the awarded new editor as posted above "Pontiac Past" IS seemingly looking back NOT forward to the future...but what do I know, right? My voice no longer counts or matters? .

Isn't it ironic that the POCI Prez and ("the board") would see POCI members input here instead of their home forum formats? Telling I think. Rinse & Repeat: POCI forum = crickets.

FWIW: Our household membership was really centered around receiving Don's Smoke Signals creation because of these exact type of POCI political maneuvers, now we'll wait and see.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
With all due respect to Tim Dye......the timing of this change is horrendous.
I've always had an opinion regarding my cars is that if it"ain't broke, don't fix it". I think
that notion applies in this case. Smoke Signals has been getting better with every issue
for the last several months, with more content that is interesting to read with each concurring issue. I complained about too many old derelict ads and Don has been working
on getting rid of them. Regardless of Tim's credentials, why create derision in the club just
when it is getting on a roll with lots of new members. Shame on POCI for quashing this momentum that was taking place by making an unnecessary change that is going to rile
up a lot of members who had just signed back on to give POCI another try. I don't think the
club is in a position to be stirring up "S##T right now, and this move is guaranteed to do just that.As a 33 year member of POCI I find this move disgusting and very disturbing.
Well stated. I renewed this year for Don Keefe's Smoke Signals. I will be open minded with the new editor and give him a chance but it sure makes members wonder about the inside politics on POCI board

Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I too think the timing is awful. It seems over the last year there has been a sincere effort to grow the membership of POCI through pushing the new format of Smoke Signals. This has been exciting to me after seeing so many Pontiac publications fail over the years. Mr. Green, thanks for the explanation but I do have a few more questions.

1. Is the contract for Smoke Signals Editor renewed/reviewed every year?

2. Is there any other position at POCI or Smoke Signals that uses this same system of "contracts"?

3. Can you tell me what the membership count was when Don took over as editor and what membership count is today?

4. Over the last 10 years, what is the average length of time an editor serves?

Thanks again for your attention to this matter Mr. Green.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would add one more question in the last election for board members how much of the member base voted

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
The way to kill speculation and the like is with the facts. Now that we have them, we can each make our own decision. Thanks Merle, helps a lot.
So.... Wrapping up hours of debate with one paragraph from one side is what you consider having all the "FACTS"?

I am all for this club succeeding. That's why I care enough to post...
If I heard correctly only 9 board members voted for Tim's proposal. I think there are close to, or over, 30 voting directors (and directors emeritus, whatever that is). Only 16 or 17 were in attendance...

The club has 9000 members...

So... Less than 1/10th of 1% of the membership made this decision... Maybe "Roberts Rules" need revisited.

There has been no serious backlash because so few people know what is going on. Only the 3-400 members at the banquet and maybe another 1000(?) from reading it online and on this forum.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!

Last edited by PaulatFast; 07-28-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON View Post
I would add one more question in the last election for board members how much of the member base voted
That is our problem! Not the Boards or the Presidents problem!

I am sure that nearly every Board Member, and especially Merle, is doing what they think is best for the Club. Just like politics, opinions and views differ.

If we want to keep the club moving in the direction we think is best, it is up to US to get involved in the election process. I do think they should have "primary elections to select who gets to run against the incumbents when necessary. The current system has a three member committee that chooses which applicants get to actually run for director positions... I think the voting record of the incumbents needs made public, as well as if they actually attend the conventions...

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Interesting that I was prompted via email msg and just read my Sept 2015 Hemmings Muscle Machines digital version online (Hardcopy usually arrives via USPS within a day or two)...loaded w Pontiac's, same in Hemmings Classics

this vvvv
Quote:
So... Less than 1/10th of 1% of the (POCI) membership made this decision... Maybe "Roberts Rules" need revisited.

There has been no serious backlash because so few people know what is going on. Only the 3-400 members at the banquet and maybe another 1000(?) from reading it online and on this forum.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not know Mr. Dye. I know of his museum and all the hard work that must have gone into making that happen. I found out in this thread that he is also an author. So I have no reason to believe that he can't do a decent job as editor of Smoke Signals. That being said, POCI was damn lucky to have a guy like Don already on staff with a proven track record, a guy that has clearly taken Smoke Signals to a whole different level of quality and to top it off INCREASED the membership of an orphan brand car club. I have no idea what the motivation was on Mr. Dye's part to become editor. It was certainly his right the way they have it set up with an annual contract and he must have made one hell of a presentation. I think Mr. Keef's reward for clearly doing a GREAT job was a swift kick in the ass. That's what I have a problem with. Don can and will do better. I like Smoke Signals and have no skin in this game, but it doesn't have a very pleasant smell.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
It was certainly his right the way they have it set up with an annual contract and he must have made one hell of a presentation. I think Mr. Keef's reward for clearly doing a GREAT job was a swift kick in the ass. That's what I have a problem with.
Well said.

However the contract is not annual, it is for longer than that. I think it came up for a vote back in 2009, not sure if it has been voted on since.

Someone else should know the answer...

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blah, Blah, Blah. I will believe it when I see it. Given the past performance, we REALLY need to see more than just talk.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Smoke Signals editor contract is up for renewal every 3 years and it is posted in Smoke Signals.