Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2023, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tell me what I’m looking at brake wise.

I didn’t think we had enough brake booster threads in this section so I’m starting another one

Got to get my hands into my new 1962 Safari today. Had some wins. Found out someone swapped in a safe-t-track. PHS said it came 3.08 open. Got it to run off it’s own tank. Got some brake fluid to the rear brakes. Now I have to bleed them and look for leaks. See if the MC is good.

Here is what I think I know through research. I have a two bolt MC so it’s a bendix. Someone bypassed the canister. I don’t know why they capped its line as if an empty can would leak.

The booster looks like it’s later model to me. Has a plug of some sort on the driver side not in use. I’m curious what you guys think? Late 60s/70s booster?

With the car running I can hear a hiss of vacuum leak from inside the car. When you press the brakes, it goes away. Which is odd I feel like I would expect to hear the leak. When it was depressed if the diaphragm was leaking. I sprayed carb cleaner all around the booster and didn’t get much reaction if any. So if it has a leak it must be internal. Pedal is soft but the brakes aren’t bled so it would be. What do you guys think? Hiss with no pressure and no hiss when you hit the pedal.

Ultimately I want to go with the Master Power setup and get rid of the suicide single cylinder. But I need tires and a windshield. If I can live with the brakes with some sweat and pocket change involved vs $500 I would like to do that for a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	598F0F97-FA3A-4F51-80CB-EF75FFBA31B6.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	611417   Click image for larger version

Name:	9ECA865D-4192-41F4-A243-062A2E480BB5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	611418   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E02860B-CDD7-4ADB-BF41-D624C83A65BE.jpg
Views:	93