The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-02-2001, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was completing the detailing work of scrapping off all the undecoating of my 69 TA when I notice the outer wheel wells are rusted on both sides of the car. It has about a 1/4 to 1/2 gap all around the quarter panel wheel lip and is not attached to the new quarter panels at all. I see that the NOS full quarters were installed over the rusted outer housings. I bought 2 repro outer ww housings and started to drill out the front spot welds on the drivers side. I have full access to the trunk area as well. My question is, once I can remove the rusted outers, can I install the new ones without disturbing the good quarters? I guess I could have just flanged and glued or welded the wheel lip in but wanted a correct job. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-02-2001, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was completing the detailing work of scrapping off all the undecoating of my 69 TA when I notice the outer wheel wells are rusted on both sides of the car. It has about a 1/4 to 1/2 gap all around the quarter panel wheel lip and is not attached to the new quarter panels at all. I see that the NOS full quarters were installed over the rusted outer housings. I bought 2 repro outer ww housings and started to drill out the front spot welds on the drivers side. I have full access to the trunk area as well. My question is, once I can remove the rusted outers, can I install the new ones without disturbing the good quarters? I guess I could have just flanged and glued or welded the wheel lip in but wanted a correct job. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-03-2001, 05:28 AM
Senior Chief

Steve.... Who installed new 1/4'ers over old rusted wheel well housings? They lend support to the center of the 1/4 panel. I've never installed new ones with the 1/4'ers on. You can see if you can take out the old ones without disturbing the 1/4. There are braces at the back of the ww housing from the inside of the trunk. It is possible that you might be able to slip it out and slip the new one in from the trunk.

[This message has been edited by MitchGM (edited 07-03-2001).]

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 07-03-2001, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mitch, The previous owner said he got the car with new quarters on it. They had patched the wheel well lip but never attached it to the new quarters. Last night I removed the original outer wheel well. I drilled out the spot welds from the bracing on top as well. It took some time but I wanted to be careful about not disturbing the quarters. I just need to clean up some of the spot welds with an angle grinder. Looks like I can go in with the new one from underneath.

[This message has been edited by steveK (edited 07-03-2001).]

Old 09-06-2001, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

....well 2 months later I completed putting in 2 new outer wheel well housings with the quarters on. Man, it was tough @ss work as I did not want to disturb the quarters and wanted a clean and rigid install. It looks great and stock, now I am concentrating on the final touches on putting together the rear with new leafs, fuel lines and tank.