Old 12-11-2006, 11:09 PM

Default "66 Alternator ground wire?

Does the 66 Goat have a ground wire for the alternator or is it only grounded through the case?
I'm working on a friends new purchase... it wasn't charging and it was delivered with a new alternator installed. Ive narrowed it down to a lack of a ground as the case is thickly powder coated and no metal was exposed to get a ground through the mount.
My question is: Is there supposed to be a wire to ground the case? There isn't one in the harness on this car, and I knew the experience of the people posting here would be more valuable and quicker than trying to find via the net.
Thanks,
RC

Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no seperate ground wire. Heavily powder coated case shouldn't matter, it's the alternator brackets that need to be clean grounding points at engine and at alt adjustment bolt since the threads of the adjusting bolt are where it would pick up the ground off the alternator.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Suspended

not the threads, but the contact of the bolt and case against the block and bracket.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

is the light in the dash still good. With out it it wont work either.

my cars