National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

Default 2004-2006 GTO: GTOAA CONCOURS ANNOUNCEMENT

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR OUR NEW GEN GTO OWNERS;

The GTOAA is happy to announce beginning in 2019 we will be adding a concours judging class for 2004-2006 GTOs! Classes will be for: Original, Restored, and Modified. Award Standards: Gold, Silver, and Bronze. The standards will be based on a point system and be judged by authorized GTOAA Concours Judges just as our vintage GTOs.

This has been a work in progress for many years. All necessary documentation has been collected as we prepare to introduce our New Gen GTO Concours class at our 2019 GTOAA International Convention at a site yet to be determined. This announcement at this time will allow those interested in having their 04-06 GTOs entered into concours time to prepare for our inaugural new gen GTO concours addition.

What does this mean for you, an owner of a new gen GTO? Having a Concours Gold attached to your GTO will identify your GTO among the best of the best and could add value to your car.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe 15 years old is the benchmark to be elidgable for Judging. This means in 2019 we will be judging 2004's and in 2020 the 05's, followed by 2021 with the 2006 models.

It will be interesting to see how we breakdown a "restored" car from an "original" car... It is still 4 years out so maybe by then some of the 04's will be being restored...

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

Actually Paul ...... All 3 years will be inclusive in 2019 it was decided.

I would imagine with many having salvaged titles, there may be quite a few out there who restored them. With as much as the parts cost to replace doesn't take much to total them.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Actually Paul ...... All 3 years will be inclusive in 2019 it was decided.

I would imagine with many having salvaged titles, there may be quite a few out there who restored them. With as much as the parts cost to replace doesn't take much to total them.
I guess Doug nor I got the memo...

"Rebuilt" and "Restored" don't really go hand in hand... I am sure there will be very fair guidelines in place to define the "originals" from the "restored" and we will try to keep everyone happy!

It will be done right and as always, feedback will drive the program. Concours Judging a 13 year old car may very well be a first for any organization!

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Senior Chief

Hopefully it will motivate many with new gens to get on board. Time will tell.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
I guess Doug nor I got the memo...

"Rebuilt" and "Restored" don't really go hand in hand... I am sure there will be very fair guidelines in place to define the "originals" from the "restored" and we will try to keep everyone happy!

It will be done right and as always, feedback will drive the program. Concours Judging a 13 year old car may very well be a first for any organization!
Not so fast. My understanding is that the 74 GTO was eligible to be Concourse judged in 1984.
In all honesty I dont see many new cars doing it. I mean New Generation GTO's. Many old Goats are actually newer than some of the new cars. That will be a problem for the new era Goats. A 3 year run(in the USA) and limited production will have an effect on any company coming up with dyes and tooling to make parts and panels for the 04-06 Pontiacs. Parts are more available in Australia(the 3rd generation Monaro ran from 2001-2006) but too expensive to buy and have shipped to the U.S. Remember that these cars in Australia are still sought after and were more expensive there than here. New about $60,000. 45k in our money.
The 3rd generation Monaro came 20 years after generation 2. Generation 1 started in 1968. So Holden took an old model and put a bigger engine in it. See some similarities? Also the exhaust note of the 2004 was sound matched to the exact decibel of the 64.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Carl I would be interested to know exactly what type of judging was done in 1984... Lol

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
Carl I would be interested to know exactly what type of judging was done in 1984... Lol
I have no idea and cant find anything out. I was at a national meeting a year or two ago and they were discussing this issue. It was said then that it took 10 years to start judging the 74s and they were thinking of going 15 years out for the newer GTO's. Im pretty sure it was in Dayton 2 years ago. Either way I dont see it being very popular. I doubt I would try it. I would dread having to clean underneath the damn thing. I would volunteer as a judge though.