THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

He will be missed.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 PM
Senior Chief

Shame this happened, he Is missed. Noticed some of the Questions in the Street section getting far too much detail/off topic discussion from the Race section experts. Some of them must be getting bored and have less to do now that it’s winter and maybe also that Cliff is gone.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I liked his posts, they were well thought out and written well.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff moved on FYI: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...hlight=ventura

Old 12-08-2021, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, this site has changed big time. Allot of +/- reasons but in the long run its all the members that had made it work. No wonder its a dead sea now.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a shame to see him go. I was just thinking that he hadn't posted anything recently. I really enjoyed the info he shared because it was from real experience vs "I think this will work". In the few years I've been on here I've seen some good people like him leave, damn shame.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:40 AM

The good news is that Cliff is still taking in work (just sent him a carb for him to work his magic on) just not working as much as he did for decades. He let me know up front it might take a 2-3 months to get it back. Considering his talent and reputation, I let him know that time frame works for me. I'm just glad he is willing to do it. If you need something shoot him an email. We all have to slow down at some point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff helped me on jetting the Quadrajet. Recommended and supplied the cam I run. Was a real help and nice guy.

Things that take fortitude:
Stating opinions without quoting an opposing view, so not a point / counterpoint.

Flat out not reading cr@p from people that just rile you up. The last one that made me whacky is now suspended and he just wanted to joust and was rude as heck.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff is a cool guy. I had some questions and sent him a few messages, and he always responded very quickly and offered way more information than I could consume. lol

Sucks to see him go. I've always been more into fuel injection, so reading his posts helped me learn and understand the Q-Jet tremendously. The guy was on here for 20 years providing info and services, which is incredible when you think about it.

It be cool to see him come around here again, but I understand if he doesn't. Some sites change over time, and not always for the better.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Hadn't seen Cliff R post anything or respond as of late, so I went to his member page and read his exit post. Sorry to see him go. I learned a lot from his post and responses to others.. I'm basically a nobody here and a novice at best, therefore, I have no idea who anyone is good or bad. I will say that I hate to see that he has left. Good guy in my opinion. FWIW.

Loved his tag line
" If you can read this thank a teacher"

So long Cliff and thank you for all you gave to this community.
You left out half of his tag line…

“If you can read this thank a teacher"

“If you can read this in English thank a Veteran"

Cliff is a Veteran…Cliff served in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Great guy with Q-jets, helped me a lot.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 455firebird1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone that goes around and cherry picks excerpts from the net just to make you think they are an expert, hardly compares to actual practical experience that was hard earned in the school of hard knocks.

Cliff and I had exchanged more than a few PMs about his frustration of being constantly contradicted/harassed by a self appointed expert, some of you may know who it is. I've had the same experience on a more limited basis, and actually have used some of his cherry picked net sources to prove he doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks, or projects he does. When you only use part of a quote of someone else, to advance your narrative, it's lying by omission.

That person doesn't even own a Pontiac driver, or race car, but has all the answers to any question, or can google it and come up with someone else's words to push a narrative. Like using the media to push a talking point, sound familiar?

Cliff was frustrated with the lack of actions by the board, it wasn't just that "he moved on". I can say that with certainty. He did offer to talk with people via E mails or phone, so he didn't just "go away" without leaving some ties to this community. Selling his Ventura, and his business at retirement age doesn't mean he isn't still wanting to help members of this board, he wouldn't have suggested calling, or e mailing him, if he was "done".

When you get advanced in your age, you weigh things out, and eliminate things that just aren't going to improve your life, and can aggravate you.

The man makes a living by dealing with high performance Pontiacs. He also dealt in torque convertors, as well as QJ parts. He was an author of a few books that he felt would spread his hard earned knowledge further to more people than just being a fixture on this board. I don't see any fault of spreading your knowledge to as many people that you can help, if you make some money doing it, then you might be a capitalist, it's what the US economy is based on.

Cliff also was a volunteer in his community, so it pretty much tells you what his motives are/were. He is also a veteran, it doesn't portray someone that was in it for the money solely, at least to me.

Making a living with the same thing that is your hobby, isn't a bad thing. Many people would like to make a living doing things they enjoy most in life. If the members of this board weren't passionate about their beliefs in a certain brand of car, this board wouldn't be here.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This site mirrors society. The normal folks just keep on chugging and the morons continue to soak up the attention and energy….

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lfdsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

Brad nailed it.

I've bought from Cliff multiple times, always a joy on the phone. Will continue to deal with him on everything Qjet.

I get it.

But for what its worth, this isn't a airport - you dont have to announce your departure.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Boost Engineer

I have known Cliff Ruggles from the days when he was still in the Coast Guard and doing Buick Carbs and Turbo Buick carbs.

I have been invited and slept at his house when I was making a trip south to see a friend of mine in Kentucky and later Tony B at his shop.

One time he was sleeping in his truck and I offered the second bed in my reserved hotel room. I think the breakfast and bed at his place was returning the favor from the Norwalk deal. Cliff has always paid his debts.

I enjoyed helping him with his Holley 850 cfm carb that he had on the dyno and dragstrip.
"Don't Touch It, it is perfect" was the comment from the KRE Guys on the dyno.

Cliff really never needed this board to make a living. Plenty of word of mouth from
all of the people running Q-jet Carbs.

But another "old-timer" who got tired of all of the BS.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate to see him go but understand his reasons. He will certainly be missed on this board.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that’s too bad, it’s Prob the 2 turds that give me a hard time.
I gotta chat with cliff, a guy gave me a paper tag for a 1978 ta Q jet, I want to see if it’s correct. I will call him.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 12-08-2021 at 08:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just found this and am saddened by another very smart person leaving our already tiny community. He is certainly not the first, but his vast carburetor knowledge, specifically Q-jets, with tons of hands-on real life experience will be missed. About 3500 posts ago, I left the forum for an extended period. After some time I came back because as a teacher I felt I had specific knowledge to share before I was gone. Hopefully, Cliff will reconsider and share his expertise here at a later time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 09:56 PM

Cliff is a FIRST class guy!!!!!!!!!!
I have stoped buy his shop a coulpy of times for carb kits and found it hard to leave, because of all the insite he offers!!!
I have even text him questions and he always gets back to me!
Its sad that good people are being driven away buy fools!
He has a very full life, like has been said, no need to try and hellp people who just want to cause trouble and brag about things they know nothing about!
I am nobody here, even I have had peop;e ask smart--- questions about the few things that I have posted, its sad!!
Cliff will be missed for sure!!! But also like has been said he still there for people who accuatlly need good first experence on engines and Carbs!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtokid1968 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've bought from him. Talked with at Norwalk and over the phone. I enjoyed his calm demeanor. He knows, doesnt have to impress. May God be with you Cliff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I just found this and am saddened by another very smart person leaving our already tiny community. He is certainly not the first, but his vast carburetor knowledge, specifically Q-jets, with tons of hands-on real life experience will be missed. About 3500 posts ago, I left the forum for an extended period. After some time I came back because as a teacher I felt I had specific knowledge to share before I was gone. Hopefully, Cliff will reconsider and share his expertise here at a later time.
I hope he sees all the positive responses here from members that have respected and appreciated his contributions over the years. Maybe in time Cliff will begin to post again. I hope so. It is unfortunate that some have made him feel as through leaving was his only option, but either way, it is very clear that he will be missed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread