SOLD Pontiacs The cars in here have already been sold. The topics will be kept for a few months for referance.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Default '71 GTO, 400, 4 Speed, Convertible

‘71 GTO, 400, 4 Speed, Convertible, all matching numbers, all original and all there. The only exception is that I had it painted black following a fender bender (x-wife). A “barn find” that is very dusty and dirty. I am the second owner, purchased the car in 1973 and the car has not been started or on the road since 1978, as is evidenced by the inspection sticker. I have a copy of the original invoice as provided by the Pontiac Historical Services Company; therefore, this is NOT a clone that has become so popular these days. I also have the 1971 Pontiac Service Manual which is in beautiful condition, as well as all of the manufacturing and production data as provided by the above company. This GTO Convertible is only one of 79 produced in 1971…..a VERY rare GTO.

I am selling my GTO because I had intended to rebuild the engine with only 92,000 original miles, with my children, but they have little interest at this point. I am 70 years of age and I will be in retirement at the close of this year, so only very serious inquires, as I really do not need the money.

I would strongly prefer to sell this automobile to a GTO enthusiast, as opposed to a body shop who would “flip” the car for a profit. This is why my price is “not cheap”.

The "asking price" is 40,000 and my contact number is: 609.261.0817.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	299299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	299300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0027.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	299301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	299302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0028.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	299311  

Last edited by WAGSTRIUMPH; 10-03-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Would like to include the price as well as my contact number.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like a nice car!!! So whats the price???

Lyn.

'72 Lemans 2dr. 20,000 mile car [sold]
'73 Grandville backhalfed Drag Car
'73 Grand Am 400 4-speed
'74 Lemans Sport Coupe-4800 original miles
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome.

Beautiful rare car!

Not sure why you post a picture of an inspection sticker and not PHS or data plate?

It would show OEM colors, trans option, rear if posi, wheels, and other options.

FYI:

I would think a collector would be interested in knowing about original sheet metal, floors, trunk, and interior in pictures. Now, that it is disclosed to be a repaint due to accident the extent of actual repaired area and when. New parts, sheet metal, it is a red flag area.

Pix of numbers on block, trans, rear, carb, alt, etc..

Price and phone number do help as well.

Hope that helps, great car.

If its a original Black car that would help sell too....

Last edited by Judge273; 10-03-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Default '71 GTO, 400, 4 Speed Convertible

Thanks for the suggestions....I have posted my "asking price" as well as my contact number.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Welcome.

Beautiful rare car!

Not sure why you post a picture of an inspection sticker and not PHS or data plate?

It would show OEM colors, trans option, rear if posi, wheels, and other options.

FYI:

I would think a collector would be interested in knowing about original sheet metal, floors, trunk, and interior in pictures. Now, that it is disclosed to be a repaint due to accident the extent of actual repaired area and when. New parts, sheet metal, it is a red flag area.

Pix of numbers on block, trans, rear, carb, alt, etc..

Price and phone number do help as well.

Hope that helps, great car.

If its a original Black car that would help sell too....
X2 Would love to see the PHS.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Four speed convertible with air, pretty cool.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Friend of mine has looked at the car.it is "all" there except the exhaust system... rare car indeed but need to know more of the extent of the rust issues.. I believe the original color was laur. green from what he told me..... non posi rear...interior is ivory from what he could tell and is in nice original condition...not running at the moment...I hope he can get it started, would help! more details on the body condition would be nice...thanx for posting the car!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It has rust issues in almost every panel......floors & trunk seem solid! Hit in Pass 1/4 at middle of wheel lip & behind the wheel. Bottom has been pulled out & bondo used.
Lower door seams rusted & has bubbles in corners, needs fender patches for sure, both 1/4s definetly need replaced rusting at vert mouldings and lower rocker seams. Valances need replaced. Might have lower cowl rust also.
Under hood completely intact. He said mtr turned by hand a few years ago.
Interior is all there but hard & moldy, seat backs yellowed, but no cracks in the dash. Top needs replaced but glass is there, all other glass is good. Needs rear bumper.
He's a very nice man!! I gave him an offer above what I valued the car at but it was not accepted.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Default Other perspectives - condition of this rare GTO

While I very much appreciate the opinion and the time taken to view my GTO, I must respond by saying that two other collectors/restorers have also taken the time to view my car and their views differ significantly. Specifically, the interior is quite acceptable and needs only a good cleaning. Yes, the body does have "some" rust issues, but both individuals feel strongly that this will be an easy restoration.

During their visit, I asked both individuals to NOT give me an offer, eventhough they expressed a strong interest in my GTO, but to simply think about a figure that would be fair to both of us.

I am a honest man, and this is a complete and original car that I wish to sell to a person who would appreciate and bring back to original condition.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wags - This looks to a good candidate for a full restoration. What color was the exterior originally? Do you have a new asking price? Thank you.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Default Thank you for your interest

As I explained to the interested parties that have viewed my Goat, the "asking price" is quite high because I am interested in selling the car to very serious restorers/collectors. The car is also advertised on Craig's list for the world to see, and I have tried to limit contact with "tire kickers". I did not know what the term meant until not long ago.

The car was originally a "forest green" type of color. I am at work now and do not have access to the tech data, but I think that year of production listed only one shade of green.

I recently tried to value the car by referencing "NADA", and you can see the value of this rare car varies wildly.

Much thanks AGAIN for your interest.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I specialize in the restoration of 70-71 gto convertibles as most on this board are familiar with me and my work..I have many picts of the cars I have done..I mostly buy "PROJECTS" and do complete frame off rotiss restos on them and then sell them to collectors..of course the price I pay for these cars leaves me room to make a living when they are sold.I'm probably the most reasonably priced restorers around..currently I'm doing a '70 GTO 455 ram air convertible 4 SPEED very rare car! I'm really kinda lost as to offer any specific price because of what your asking at the moment...thanx though for showing that these rare cars are still out there awaiting to be born again!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just a thought...why not see if you can get the engine running??

Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Default Start the engine

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my opinion it is not a question of "if" the engine will run, but whether it would be prudent to do so. My original intent was to rebuild the engine to OEM specs and if the car is purchased I would hope that the new owner would proceed with the same intent, but that would be his decision.

Note: A few years ago I filled the cylinders with "Marvel Mystery Oil" and very slowly and slightly hand turned the engine with no problem. As of today, the engine is still OK.

I very much appreciate your interest and comments.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Reduced "asking price" - $30,000

It seems that many on this forum are quite shocked by my asking price, so I have reduced it to $30,000 so as to creat more interest and have a collector be the new owner of this rare GTO.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are three shades of green on the '71 color chart:

Limekist Green - Code H / 42
Tropical Lime - Code L / 43
Laurentian Green - Code M / 49

Wags - I think Laurentian Green is a dark, forest green, so maybe that's what you have. Tropical Green is a great color, so it would be worth checking your data plate.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Laurentian Green - Code M / 49

Yes, Laurentian Green - Code M / 49 is the original color of my GTO.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's on eBay now. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/71-GT...item2a24360c2f

Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not much action with bids on the bay.......anyone else get to see the car or make an offer?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Default Hello again

Glad to see that you are watching the eBay ad. In fact a guy with his son are coming all the way from Texas next week end to look at my GOAT.

As you can see I have been offered a more than your generous offer.

Wish us luck, as he wishes to restore the car with his son....that was my intent all along.