Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
I dunno,all that writting and it completely ignores trapping air in a closed cooling system.

That's one malady I see trip up a whole lotta people...

Bret P.
Related to the trapped air, an upper radiator hose that sits higher than the water neck on the radiator can cause some issues as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn
Related to the trapped air, an upper radiator hose that sits higher than the water neck on the radiator can cause some issues as well.
Yes indeed,(or to add to that,the upper hose being higher than the radiator cap's level) and for the very reason I mentioned earlier,the air that gets trapped in that upper hose will often act as a solid compressed object in a closed/pressurized cooling system,and thus it will restrict the coolant flow,and that easily can cause overheating problems.

There was a thread here a while back where I help a fella understand that dynamic,and even though that deal was'nt the silver bullet to fix all his cooling system problems 100%,it definitely was one of the several important things that helped him to really get a good handle on his temp control problems.

Rarely is a cooling system misfunction just one single item of concern,usually there is a laundry list of things to address to get the cooling system back to peak operating condition & full efficiency.

But overlook just one important area (like trapping air in the system) and one can end up chasing their tail till they pass out from the dizziness.

For at least one other guy here,that bit of info WAS the silver bullet to fix his problems,as he had a cooling set-up where the radiator was angled back and that caused the radiator to sit lower than the engine,and untill he grasped that info,he was struggling with his cooling system.

So it is a very important thing to keep in mind as it relates to cooling systems.

FWIW.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
Yes indeed,(or to add to that,the upper hose being higher than the radiator cap's level) and for the very reason I mentioned earlier,the air that gets trapped in that upper hose will often act as a solid compressed object in a closed/pressurized cooling system,and thus it will restrict the coolant flow,and that easily can cause overheating problems.

There was a thread here a while back where I help a fella understand that dynamic,and even though that deal was'nt the silver bullet to fix all his cooling system problems 100%,it definitely was one of the several important things that helped him to really get a good handle on his temp control problems.

Rarely is a cooling system misfunction just one single item of concern,usually there is a laundry list of things to address to get the cooling system back to peak operating condition & full efficiency.

But overlook just one important area (like trapping air in the system) and one can end up chasing their tail till they pass out from the dizziness.

For at least one other guy here,that bit of info WAS the silver bullet to fix his problems,as he had a cooling set-up where the radiator was angled back and that caused the radiator to sit lower than the engine,and untill he grasped that info,he was struggling with his cooling system.

So it is a very important thing to keep in mind as it relates to cooling systems.

FWIW.

Bret P.
SC..........good info, im gonna put a different upper hose on tomorrow as mine has always sat a little higher than my alum rad...........really never been a issue in the last 12 yrs since ive had the car.........but with the new motor im running a little higher than i usually ran with my old set up.........not high by any means, but the car runs 180-190, but the issue im having is when i shut the car off, it will sometimes run on for a second or two.

I now have the alum kre heads from sd & roller cam, so i thought the temps would be a little lower than from my iron 6X"s ..........seems not so far.

Im gonna give this a shot and hope for the best.

Rich

Old 04-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location of heat sensor ?? I had to use one of the 3/8 NPT openings in my 7K3 heads as cross over openings were froze up.. I thought I had a overheating problem. Always went hot at idle and slow speeds.. I did all the usual. Flushed the cooling system replaced T stat and even checked divider plate. No help. Installed a electric fan. Not much help...according to the mechanical gauge..In desperation I bought a radiator cap with a gauge in it...18 to 20 degrees difference between gauge reading under dash and one in place of the cap...it was driving me nuts as it didn't act like it was overheating as mechanical gauge indicated...
Any one else have this problem??? ..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

#22 its summer and hot as hell outside