Old 08-23-2021, 07:33 AM

Thanks guys. I will pass on the you tube video on the bars/levers needed to refit the torsion bars.
I wish we had done this before we painted the car but hopefully there will be no accidents.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:40 AM

Hi All,
Ok. so the original problem was that the RH rod has broken. By RH I mean the rod on the RH side that locks into the slot.
So, we took it out and then tried to fit the large one onto that side.
That didn't work.
I did some research and saw that the large rod has to go onto the LH side.
So, my question.
Are the rods interchangeable from one side to the other?
Can I use the smaller rod that is currently on the LH side and put it on the RH side and the fit the large rod onto the LH side?

Old 09-02-2021, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, due to their torque rotation and ends they are made to go one way.
The Large rod Locks into and adjusts on the DS, but is actually the RH ( pass side) rod.
If you have it apart, why not due it right?
VIDEO here explains it without any research on just how it goes.
This was previously linked on 1st page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=BLzzsyD-hek

Old 09-03-2021, 04:56 AM

Ok, thanks Formula Bruce. We have had it apart a few times and that is the you tube video we were using as a guide.
I will order a rod for the other side and then fit them both.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 AM

Ok. Here is my problem.
I ordered the RH side rod and when it arrived, it is the same thickness and angle as the larger one I had already bought for the LH side. I thought the LH (driver side) is the thicker one (for cars with a spoiler) and the thinner one is the RH (passenger) side one. I would have thought the angles would also be different.
When we say LH and RH I mean the rod that has the longer section at the end.
We watched the video and that is what they said also.

However, the cut outs where the long section of the rod clips into, is larger on the RH side than the LH side.

What is everyone's thoughts.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd73 View Post
Ok. Here is my problem.
I ordered the RH side rod and when it arrived, it is the same thickness and angle as the larger one I had already bought for the LH side. I thought the LH (driver side) is the thicker one (for cars with a spoiler) and the thinner one is the RH (passenger) side one. I would have thought the angles would also be different.
When we say LH and RH I mean the rod that has the longer section at the end.
We watched the video and that is what they said also.

However, the cut outs where the long section of the rod clips into, is larger on the RH side than the LH side.

What is everyone's thoughts.
I do Not think that the smaller diameter rod is sold as a single part. I have seen a set, but I'm still not sure the small one is new.
I have that small one you can have for shipping, but I bet you can find one closer.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:48 PM

I've been able to buy separate ones. I bought the larger one for cars with spoilers but never fitted it. Then when the RH side one broke I decided to do the job.
Now we are running into this problem.

I need to know which side the larger one goes onto and if the RH side one is the small one as that is where the larger lug spaces are located so we are confused.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As in the video, which is an original car, The thicker rod locks into the RIGHT ( pass side in the US) hinge middle,, And is adjusted On the LEFT (drivers side in US).
Both rods adjuster end has a bend, it goes up when installed correctly. Make sense?

Old 10-26-2021, 07:38 PM

Update.
My mechanic tried to fit the torsion bars as per all the directions, and despite all his efforts, one of the bars flew around and cracked the rear screen. After watching heaps of videos out there on how to fit the torsion bars, I felt it was just too dangerous, so I put a stop to that plan and I fitted the strut kit.

I know I will cop some flack from some people who say to keep the car original, but my car is so far from that, that I am happy to veer off that path when I see a product that works well and (in my opinion) looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot strut 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	576264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot strut 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	576265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot strut.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	576266  

The Following User Says Thank You to fbd73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Update.
My mechanic tried to fit the torsion bars as per all the directions, and despite all his efforts, one of the bars flew around and cracked the rear screen. After watching heaps of videos out there on how to fit the torsion bars, I felt it was just too dangerous, so I put a stop to that plan and I fitted the strut kit.

I know I will cop some flack from some people who say to keep the car original, but my car is so far from that, that I am happy to veer off that path when I see a product that works well and (in my opinion) looks good.
Works nice doesnt it? I have my boot on a electric release, which is on my key fob, so no keys touch the paint.
Glad you came to a solution that works..

Old 10-27-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

the whole strut thing. these classics.....who uses their trunks?

I simply keep a piece of foam in the trunk, place it under the hinge if I need it open to "view" my trunk paint.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use my trunk every time I use my car. Carries a lunch cooler, and 2 large fold up directors chairs for cruise nights or car shows. If you just look at your car in a garage, or go to get ice cream, maybe the trunk is not used.
Since my spare is out, plenty of room.
Factory put a rubber mat over the trunk paint..
" Value starts when you turn that Ignition switch"
... FB.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default valid point

actually the external strut is pretty cool and cleanly installed to boot. I don't need it but kinda like it.

Is that strut strong enough to use even without the factory torsion bars? ( lets say they break and you don't replace em and use the external strut) I ask that because it really sounds difficult to replace the torsion bars.

I just keep a piece of dense foam from one of my goodmark sheetmetal boxs in there. slip under the hinge if I need it open.

I go for cheeseburgers instead of ice cream.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:03 PM

I agree. I use the trunk quite often. Going to car shows I put in the deck chairs, cleaning products, cooler etc. I put a couple of bags of firewood in it when I saw it for sale on the side of the road. It gets stuff put in it quite often.
Good idea about the remote release though. I might investigate that.
I want to get a carpet made for the floor pan so that it looks better than just the bare floor though.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
actually the external strut is pretty cool and cleanly installed to boot. I don't need it but kinda like it.

Is that strut strong enough to use even without the factory torsion bars? ( lets say they break and you don't replace em and use the external strut) I ask that because it really sounds difficult to replace the torsion bars.

I just keep a piece of dense foam from one of my goodmark sheetmetal boxs in there. slip under the hinge if I need it open.

I go for cheeseburgers instead of ice cream.
The strut is easily strong enough. I removed both torsion bars. I also have the deck lid spoiler and the strut lifts the lid easily and stays up with no sign of falling down.

The Following User Says Thank You to fbd73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 06:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I want to get a carpet made for the floor pan so that it looks better than just the bare floor though.
I have this mat: https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970...p/tru-2004.htm

It's fairly nice. Soft and padded so stuff doesn't move around as easy and if things do move it's quiet

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Suspended

That's a shame about the windscreen. Did you have it covered in towels and boards as well?

Old 10-28-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
That's a shame about the windscreen. Did you have it covered in towels and boards as well?
Not sure. I left the car with the the mechanic and he just told me what had happened. He had the rear screen replaced at no charge to me.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I have this mat: https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970...p/tru-2004.htm

It's fairly nice. Soft and padded so stuff doesn't move around as easy and if things do move it's quiet
This mat is 73 style.
70 to 72 were molded rubber and $$ more for a good used one.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

does that mat go up over the sides or just cover the center trunk area?