Old 09-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1967 GTO with Parrish frame body mount question

Two of the body mount holes in the frame are smaller in diameter than the other 12. The mount kit from Ames have all 14 mounts the same size rubber which fit the other 12 holes perfectly. Were the two in question designed to be smaller for a reason? In other words, should I keep the smaller holes in the frame and look for two original mounts (NOS) with the smaller diameter rubber? Or just open up the smaller holes in the frame to match the others?

Old 09-09-2021, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the holes in question at the locations shown circled here?

If so and IIRC on some chassis these were Solid mounts (Pucks).
They may have had/used a smaller Dia however, I don't recall this.

I think it would be far easier to enlarge the hole over trying to locate small mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BODY MOUNTS.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	572731   Click image for larger version

Name:	BODY MOUNT KIT 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	572733  

Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Are the holes in question at the locations shown circled here?

If so and IIRC on some chassis these were Solid mounts (Pucks).
They may have had/used a smaller Dia however, I don't recall this.

I think it would be far easier to enlarge the hole over trying to locate small mounts.
No. The ones in question are the next ones toward the rear from the 4 torque box holes. Inline tube labels them #3 in this ebay ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20093382296...a85f49d1550%26

Old 09-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

6d7gto...I had the same issue. I ended up modifying the bushing, not a lot of fun but I got it done. I am not aware of the correct bushing being available. I was able to use one of my old ones as a template to correctly modify the new bushings.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
6d7gto...I had the same issue. I ended up modifying the bushing, not a lot of fun but I got it done. I am not aware of the correct bushing being available. I was able to use one of my old ones as a template to correctly modify the new bushings.
Thank you. I just now trimmed them down to fit nice and snug. Thanks for responding.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I experienced the same thing with the body mount kit I purchased from OPGI for my '66. As you figured out, the best approach is to trim the bushings a little bit so they fit the frame, rather than altering your frame to fit the bushings.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-16-2021, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure but have heard that the Parrish frames had the smaller holes just in that one location. The GTO was a Baltimore build. Seem to recall there might have been solid "pucks" in one location as well. Should have taken notes and photos when I dismantled everything many many years ago! Have since learned to bag and tag everything including the smallest nuts and bolts.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Parrish frame? I thought the '67s were built at Baltimore, Framingham, Fremont, Kansas City, or Pontiac. I've never heard of Parrish before. Was it a separate facility just for building the frames before they were shipped out for final assembly?

Old 09-16-2021, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Parrish was a vendor making the frames, there was also A.O. Smith, and Pontiac also made frames. I don't know the specifics as to which plant used which frames, but i suspect all Pontiac built cars probably would have a Pontiac built frame.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info, Cardo. My Pontiac built '66 has "PON" stamped into the frame on the rear section. I was never sure if it was referring to where the frame was made, or the type of GM A-body it was destined for. Assuming the former.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, so I found out Ames sells the smaller diameter mounts (separately if you call and ask them). Apparently they also come in the painted kit (S382DM in the latest catalog G37). They cost a bit more, but were how the originals looked from the factory. The small diameter ones are called 'under the door mounts'. I just received a set of these original style mounts but trouble is, they don't come with an instruction sheet on which colors go where...Ugh! I will call them tomorrow to see if someone knows how to install them in the right mount holes. If someone here knows which frame holes receive pink, black or blue upper mounts, I'd appreciate your chiming in.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default For future researchers looking for body mount 'correctness'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post
Okay, so I found out Ames sells the smaller diameter mounts (separately if you call and ask them). Apparently they also come in the painted kit (S382DM in the latest catalog G37). They cost a bit more, but were how the originals looked from the factory. The small diameter ones are called 'under the door mounts'. I just received a set of these original style mounts but trouble is, they don't come with an instruction sheet on which colors go where...Ugh! I will call them tomorrow to see if someone knows how to install them in the right mount holes. If someone here knows which frame holes receive pink, black or blue upper mounts, I'd appreciate your chiming in.
For a concours installation...here is how the different colors go on the 1967 GTO:

#1 and #2 mounts (according to my service manual) which go under the front torque box (total of 4): violet colored upper rubber and violet lower rubber.

#3 (AMES catalog calls them under door mounts): blue upper (with smaller diameter hole in frame) and blue lower.

All the rest are blue uppers and violet lowers.

Ames sells the colored kits with all the necessary mounts (catalog # S382DM) which they call Original Style.

All body bolts are to be tightened to 32 foot pounds according to my manual. I plan on using blue loctite on the threads.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did not/would not use loctite on the body bolts. I actually used antiseize(gray) on all of them just in case they ever have to come back apart. I won't be restoring this car again but maybe someone else will in the future.