Old 10-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sure hoping this proves to be true!! You guys will be the first ones to know.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, celebrate with me! That which was lost has been found! FedEx discovered the crate in the Portland Distribution center where apparently it's been sitting the whole time. The main shipping label got scraped off, but it had 5 tracking labels on the crate too. Not sure what the ultimate bottom line is, but the truck driver said stuff like this happens all the time lately.

Gary did a great job of building the crate and I want everyone to understand that I don't think any of this was his fault.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So what are your plans for this newly acquired SD455 block?

Old 10-05-2021, 03:55 PM

I am the seller. Wanted to build a SD 455 and then find a fitting body. Looked for parts for many years. Giving up the hunt and moving on to another project

Old 10-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74SDformula View Post
So what are your plans for this newly acquired SD455 block?
Going to build an externally stock appearing but internally "beefed" SD for my '73 TA I've actually bought twice. First in '86 and then for keeps in May '90.

The story from the second owner is that this TA was ordered with a SD but they started getting letters telling them production was delayed. Then came the notice that the order could only be completed with an L75. But supposedly the purchasing dealer quickly changed the shaker decal to the SD part and it's still there today (majority factory paint car). Yes, it's only a story, no proof offered, but it could be true.

I've always wanted to play with an SD and install one in this TA for a few years of fun while I rebuild the L75. Car will only be used for some (occasionally) hot cruising and maybe a few times bracket racing.

Only part missing now is the intake manifold, apparently very near unobtanium. May have to cheat and port match a L75 intake once I get to that point in the build.
So long story short, it's all about having fun with an SD before I get too old to enjoy it. (Getting close though!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 12:35 AM

It.pays to take.the time to take multiple pictures of whatever high dollar item your selling and shipping. An old friend years ago schooled me on this.
1. Take some initially.
2. Take some as your palletized or boxing and or wrapping.
3. Take some.more when completely boxed or crated.
4. Take 1 or 2 when the forklift driver picks up off your truck or on the counter at your shipper.

I've yet to have any problems and hopefully won't but the pics are proof of said item (s).

Good news to hear that your block was found Rick.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:32 AM
Senior Chief

Do all of the stuff that people have mentioned. And even when I ship smaller stuff, I still put my name and phone number on multiple places inside the box.

I was a shipping clerk for a Dayton foundry during one of my college breaks. Early 1990s. I was shipping some incredibly expensive bits for drilling thru some sort of geological hell - and made of some crazy alloy, to some Asian country, I cant recall which one. X number of bits per month. Regular orders. Looked like titanium French ticklers. The company buying them was known for fraud, and kept saying we were not packaging them properly and didnt want to pay. We knew better. They easily fitted into a box roughly 14" on a side, and were packed to their specifications. They were paying shipping upon delivery. The last time they tried to screw the company, the plant manager said to me "Can you make something that absolutely cannot be destroyed in shipping?" "Well, no, nobody can. But I can make something they'll regret." I built a 20x20 oak box to put the cardboard box in, and it took roughly 150 screws. Two tubes of glue as well. I started by screwing the base of the box to an oak skid that I found. Then I built the box, then when it was done, built a 40"x40" oak box on the outside of that box - this one requiring hundreds of screws and the rest of a case of glue. It was like liquid nail or something. It was like russian nesting dolls. With all of the measuring, cutting, fasteners, etc. It took an entire day. The company didn't care, and occasionally the plant manager came by and chuckled out loud at this drill bit vault I was constructing. They even took pictures as it was loaded into the truck. It was a thing to behold. A wooden battleship, if you would.

Two- maybe three weeks later, it arrived. We received the phone call from the buyer - that the *package* had arrived, and the *message* was loud and clear. They never complained again. Took them an entire day to open it - and they expected the whole 40x40 box to be full of bits. After all their time and trouble getting it open, they got their usual monthly shipment.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-25-2021, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story Mr. Anouny-mouse!!

Not likely I'll be buying another SD block though. But if my seller had done as you did with the bits, the "crate" would have been the size of the Queen Mary!