#141  
Old 03-29-2021, 08:55 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

I hope you land it one day...that is a gorgeous version. They look great in black.

  #142  
Old 03-29-2021, 09:43 PM
MUSLCAH MUSLCAH is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: N.H.
Posts: 1,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
I hope you land it one day...that is a gorgeous version. They look great in black.
What color you going with yours ?

  #143  
Old 03-29-2021, 10:33 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Saddle Bronze. It was the original color and has grown on me. We may tweak the color slightly toward the copper side but just a bit.

  #144  
Old 03-30-2021, 08:58 AM
MUSLCAH MUSLCAH is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: N.H.
Posts: 1,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
Saddle Bronze. It was the original color and has grown on me. We may tweak the color slightly toward the copper side but just a bit.
A word to the wise......if you make color changes...tape the formula to the inside of the glove box. Ive been the next guy on the last 2 cars Ive worked on...trying to match a Mystery color.

  #145  
Old 03-30-2021, 01:59 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Good idea. We are going to spray out a few more brands too. The photo show the color.

Thanks for the advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E845816-BA33-4AF7-A488-F8CF626B58F9.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	563702  

  #146  
Old 03-30-2021, 08:36 PM
MUSLCAH MUSLCAH is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: N.H.
Posts: 1,690
Default

When customers want a little more pop in their color......I telll them to go to the Dealerships .....and cruise them ,looking for that shade of color that appeals to them....and get the paint code off that car. Today’s colors have pearls and all kinds of goodies in them. That way you have a solid paint formula.....in case something happens....just an idea

  #147  
Old 03-30-2021, 10:08 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Good thinking. I have a list of close colors I’ve seen on late models running around. Nothing that really speaks to me. Part of it is probably just trying to visualize it on the car.

  #148  
Old 04-27-2021, 05:41 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Hi Everyone -- This is just sort of a mini-update - nothing major to report. But I did get my AMK bolt kit today. I think this is going to be a life-saver since the PO didn't label or bag anything and then mixed in a bunch of Ford, Mopar and diesel equipment bolts.

Anyway - The hardware looks very nice. I had seen these recommended by folks on the forum and I am glad I followed through with getting them.

Hopefully I will have a more serious update soon...Thanks for following along.





Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMKBox.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	565543   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMKPkg.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	565544   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMKPkg2.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	565545  

  #149  
Old 04-27-2021, 05:57 PM
ZeGermanHam's Avatar
ZeGermanHam ZeGermanHam is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,179
Default

Those kits can indeed be a lifesaver. I purchased a hardware kit for the front clip of my '66 from Ames and the quality was good with their product, too.

Certainly beats spending hours and hours sifting through old hardware to figure out what goes where, wire-wheeling, replacing damaged bolts la carte, etc.

__________________

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
  #150  
Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Cardo's Avatar
Cardo Cardo is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlestown, In.
Posts: 1,527
Default

Good call on the kit - i used one too. I will warn you though that the PAL nuts in that kit for emblems and such don't work anywhere near as well as the originals - they're kind of soft and open up and "strip". Save your originals if you can.

__________________
"I know just enough to keep me here, but not enough to get me out"
  #151  
Old 04-28-2021, 08:20 AM
gtospieg gtospieg is offline
Chief Ponti-yacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 940
Default

WOW...just found this thread...awesome. Great story, great metal work...looking forward to more progress.

  #152  
Old 04-28-2021, 08:51 AM
ZnbOlds455's Avatar
ZnbOlds455 ZnbOlds455 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: SC
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
Good call on the kit - i used one too. I will warn you though that the PAL nuts in that kit for emblems and such don't work anywhere near as well as the originals - they're kind of soft and open up and "strip". Save your originals if you can.
I've used the same kit. The PAL nuts can be made to work, but they need modifying. Just beat the 2 raised "threads" down a bit to close the opening. They can be fairly snug afterwards.

  #153  
Old 04-28-2021, 12:40 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
I will warn you though that the PAL nuts in that kit for emblems and such don't work anywhere near as well as the originals
Quote:
The PAL nuts can be made to work, but they need modifying. Just beat the 2 raised "threads" down a bit to close the opening.
Thanks Cardo and ZnbOlds455 for the heads-up on the PAL nuts. I think most of the originals are still threaded to the emblems.

Quote:
Certainly beats spending hours and hours sifting through old hardware to figure out what goes where
I had a bunch of hours into figuring out the hardware and not that much progress so it made sense to me.

Working backward from the shop and chassis manual and pictures of survivor cars was more difficult than I would have thought.

Quote:
WOW...just found this thread...awesome. Great story, great metal work...looking forward to more progress.
Thanks gtospieg...Welcome to the madness. Hopefully we are going to have some big leaps forward pretty soon.

Thanks again everyone for your kind comments, good advise and for following along.

  #154  
Old 10-13-2021, 02:11 PM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Hi Everyone - thanks for following along. It has been a few months since I've updated this thread.

We left off with a hole in the firewall - which is where we are starting off again, after a little break from the action.

The firewall damage was pretty extensive and so the cut-away area got bigger...



Here is a more detailed look at area that was hammered up from the bottom - probably with a carpenter's hammer...



The portion along the cowl where the hood seal sets was also damaged beyond repair - so a new piece is being fabricated. This is it laid-out - dies are being made for the Pulmax to put the correct shape into it.



In other news...I stumbled upon a set of '64 GTO heads and Tri Power intake at the HAN swap meet. I had already found one set of heads but the package deal price was pretty good...so now I have an extra set.



And the best news, we have a new home...With a detached shop. So finally I have a real shop of my own to work on the restoration. Hurray!

Thanks everyone for following along and for keeping me inspired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall_Cowl_Patch.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	575101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake_Heads_HAN.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	575103  

  #155  
Old 10-13-2021, 07:15 PM
wooftfd wooftfd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 23
Default

PM sent!

  #156  
Old 10-13-2021, 09:13 PM
Cardo's Avatar
Cardo Cardo is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlestown, In.
Posts: 1,527
Default

Glad to see you're still making progress. You'll love having a shop to work in.... if nothing else for the fact that you don't have to pick everything up every time you stop. Just turn off the lights and go in when you're done. Nice find on the top end. Always good to have choices!

__________________
"I know just enough to keep me here, but not enough to get me out"
  #157  
Old 10-14-2021, 10:57 AM
1_Wild_Cat's Avatar
1_Wild_Cat 1_Wild_Cat is offline
Senior Chief
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 377
Default

Hey wooftfd -- I sent a PM back.

Thanks Cardo -- You are right about the shop...the best thing for me so far is that I'm home when I am working on something. So no missing dinner, driving to-and-fro, feeling like you have to stay a long time because of the drive, etc. Once we have the house sorted-out I think progress will pick-up.

The top end was a real score, especially for a swap meet these days. I needed the intake but the second set of heads will come in handy for the mock-up since my other set is off for port work/rebuilding and not due back for a year or so. It was a nice matched set too - and oddly the dates also line up with my other set of heads. (But not the dates for my car).

At some point I am going to set the drivetrain so I can get weight on the suspension for body panel alignment and to make sure I have everything a need (pulleys, brackets, bolts, etc.) and that everything fits.

It's a long process - but having a really solid car will make it worthwhile.

Thanks again to everyone following along with me on this resto.

  #158  
Old 10-14-2021, 11:45 AM
wooftfd wooftfd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
Hey wooftfd -- I sent a PM back.

Thanks Cardo -- You are right about the shop...the best thing for me so far is that I'm home when I am working on something. So no missing dinner, driving to-and-fro, feeling like you have to stay a long time because of the drive, etc. Once we have the house sorted-out I think progress will pick-up.

The top end was a real score, especially for a swap meet these days. I needed the intake but the second set of heads will come in handy for the mock-up since my other set is off for port work/rebuilding and not due back for a year or so. It was a nice matched set too - and oddly the dates also line up with my other set of heads. (But not the dates for my car).

At some point I am going to set the drivetrain so I can get weight on the suspension for body panel alignment and to make sure I have everything a need (pulleys, brackets, bolts, etc.) and that everything fits.

It's a long process - but having a really solid car will make it worthwhile.

Thanks again to everyone following along with me on this resto.
PM back, and a couple of pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	into the shop.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	575139  

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.

 

About Us

The PY Online Forums is the largest online gathering of Pontiac enthusiasts anywhere in the world. Founded in 1991, it was also the first online forum for people to gather and talk about their Pontiacs. Since then, it has become the mecca of Pontiac technical data and knowledge that no other place can surpass.

 

Cold Case Radiators

Cold Case Radiators is a Max Performance company that produces high end aluminum performance radiators at a price point that won't break the bank. Polished and stamped tanks. 2 rows of 1" tubes. Lifetime Warranty.

GTOG8TA.com

GTOG8TA.com is a Max Performance company that manufacturers parts for the 04-06 GTO, 08-09 G8, and 93-02 Firebird/Trans Am platforms.

Copyright © 2017