THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Not Pontiac related

Haven't been on in a while. I had to reset my password because I couldn't remember it. Sucks getting old. Just wanted to post a pic of my latest ride. An 87 Cadillac Allante. Currently sitting at a tick over 15,000 miles. Any other Allante owners/fans here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allante from above.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	575084  

1995 Formula Firehawk #592

Old 10-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got one here...'91-1/2 pearl white with tan interior Yours just has 15K miles?????? Mine has 110K. Yours probably has the 4.1L mine the 4.5L You have the hardtop too I see.

George

Old 10-13-2021, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

When they put in the Northstars, them it became fun. We were testing the 1994 Cadillac's in 1992 in Orlando. We were driving them against the 4.9 cars and the Northstars had a 100 more horse power and got 1 mpg better than the 4.9's did. I always loved they look of the Allante. I thought it would make a great looking race car.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:24 AM

The only thing I like about the Allante is the Bundy Bounce

Old 10-14-2021, 03:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Got one here...'91-1/2 pearl white with tan interior Yours just has 15K miles?????? Mine has 110K. Yours probably has the 4.1L mine the 4.5L You have the hardtop too I see.

George
Yes. Just went over 15k. Purchased it last year with a little over 13k. Even have the original wheels and Goodyear VL tires. My wife and I have been enjoying the car this summer. The 4.1 has adequate power. Didn't really buy the car for speed. It is a comfortable cruiser. The original convertible top is in excellent condition. My wife and I just put the hard top on this past week end.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default here are some pix

attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA020102.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	575205   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA020103.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	575206   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA020105.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	575207  

Old 10-14-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The neat thing about Allante's is the Italian body...the bad thing about Allante's is the Italian body.

Too much plastic in the interior, electrical system always seems to have issues. Nice car tho.

george

Old 10-14-2021, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My cousin's hubby has a red vert, not sure what year it is. I heard a while back he was interested in selling it. He's been trying to sell the Bonnie for a number of years now.

When those Allantes came out, I loved the styling. Not crazy about the service reputation of the HT4100 though. Kinda glad I wasn't wealthy enough to own one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_9467 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	575208  

Old 10-15-2021, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Allante's gave birth to factory/production applied Tri-Coat paint jobs on passenger cars.
The Mother of Pearl White automobiles for the masses.

I was a painter in a Cadillac/Olds dealership when they were introduced.
We frowned on them at first, figuring the insurance commission would be slow and cheapskate about allotting proper pay for tri-coat repairs.
We had 6 painters at the time.

They sent me and 2 others to a GM Tech School for a hands-on class put on by PPG/Ditzler about repairing/matching the pearl white tri-tone finish.
PPG was the only supplier for the materials needed to paint/match them, in the beginning.

The color was a tremendous hit and Cadillac soon began offering it on other Cadillac's too.
It took off like crazy.
We were painting pearl jobs (collision repairs) on practically a daily basis for years and years afterwards.

We didn't sell boatloads of Allante's, but 4 out of 5 were Pearl White.
New Cadillac's were sold by the boatloads in Pearl White though.
Have never seen such a popular color before.

Allante's had "3-Zones" on each side panel (body line breaks).
The highly recommended course of action by PPG was to paint the full length of the car in whatever zone/or/zones any repair was made to the car.
Was said to not be "blend-able".
We came up with a couple other ways of blending the color/pearl on our own.
Can't remember any of us ever actually using the "zone-method" on the full length of a zone on an Allante.

When it became available on other Cadillac's, they recommended re-painting the whole side of the car - even just for a door ding or scratch repair on 1 door.
The insurance labor was really good on pearl cars for quite a while because of those recommendations.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

George.
I always liked the Pearl White. Made the cars stand out. Not so much anymore. Now Pearl White is as common as Black or Red. Barron. I too was a painter back in the day. The early Tri coats were the nemesis of every body shop back then. If you were a fleet repair shop. Mary Kay was the worst. LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Allante interior.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	575230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Allante LT front.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	575231  

Old 10-15-2021, 10:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
My cousin's hubby has a red vert, not sure what year it is. I heard a while back he was interested in selling it. He's been trying to sell the Bonnie for a number of years now.

When those Allantes came out, I loved the styling. Not crazy about the service reputation of the HT4100 though. Kinda glad I wasn't wealthy enough to own one.
With the chrome wheels, it may be a 92 or 93.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Regarding the issues with the 4.1L........I had a '93 4.9L, the later version of the engine...drove it from 38K miles to over 200K miles...no real engine issues at all. The current Allante with the 4.5, had some injector issues, did R&R. Recently replaced crank seal, age or mileage? 110k miles. That's about it engine-wise.

Biggest issue with this car ..it spent much time in Florida and the UV takes it's toll on the interior.

George

Old 10-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

At the moment I have more caddys than Pontiacs. The first defection was when I outgrew the Fiero and bought a Reatta. The second was when I bought an '11 Catera Touring Sedan Coupe because it is a 2-door 2+2 with a DOHC-6 (only recent GM cars with 2-doors all started with a "C"). It and my Reatta have touchscreens. My rationale for buying cars is rarely simple.

Long story but a result of the bottom dropping out of prices in 2020 now have two 1989 Allantes. Florida titles, 64k miles, cold air, hardtops. 4.5 engine that not only cured the 4100 issues but has 200hp/270 lb-ft torque. Enough to be "quick" and with no TC, a handful from a stop. Second was supposed to be for spares but is really too nice. decisions, decisions,

Old 10-15-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My step-mother had an Allante for a long time.
It was an early'ish 90's model, red with black top and interior.
Never any problems for her, but it was a "second car" for her and was always garage kept at all times.

Before the Allante she had a (76-77) Seville with the fake spare tire/wire hubcap on top of the trunklid.
It was Burgandy metallic with matching vinyl top & leather interior, wire hubcaps.
Sharp car, garage kept, immaculate.
It would give trouble periodically with fuel injector clogs (from sitting more than driving - and no injector cleaner additives hardly ever used in fuel).
Those became extremely desirable in the 80's - early 90's and she sold it for profit, then bought the Allante with low miles from her Boss's wife at a bargain.

Somewhere in stacks of other stuff piled into other stacks of misc. auto literatures - i still have the promo lit. and course lit. from the pearl school deal.

Also have the 2 metal test panels i sprayed at the pearl school.
Known as "let-down" panels with additional coats of pearl masked off 1 at a time as it drops down the panel.
One half cleared with lacquer - other half cleared with urethane.
Used as an aid in matching the various cars paint appearance as they came in the shop for repairs.

3-4 coats of pearl was my normal range for matches.
Always used urethane clear

I never liked the color very much itself , it was dirty'ish.
In early-mid 90's Nissan came out with a real clean Pearl White Tri-Coat, and i liked that one a lot better.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Catera...The Opel-based Caddy? Relative had one... kind of underpowered tho. Quite a few options.

Reatta........shares chassis parts with the Allante, right?

George

Old 10-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Senior Chief

Sorta, Allante is on a shortened Eldo chassis, Reatta on a shortened Riviera. Reatta shared the whole drivetrain, dash, electronics, and 16 way seats with Riviera ans the Teves Mk II ABS was also used by Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saab, and even Cadillac. The touchscreen was from Heath/Zenith.

The Allante had the body built in Italy and originally used a gutless 4100 V8 and a "different" 4T60 called a F7. (about the same power as a 3800 Reatta). Almost nothing visible inside the car was common to anything else in GM (though the internal bus structure was ALDL). The ABS was from Bosch (think only GM product to use).

The major problems is the instrument displays. Totally undocumented, made in Japan with no color coding and the three early LCD displays were damaged by sunlight and not interchangeable. Displays are connected to the control board in each module by about an 80 pin ribbon cable held on with adhesive (to remove you use heat. A set of displays exposed to sunlight. Right).

Also the tonneau cover is plastic where the Reatta is steel. The top on the Reatta is very simple to put up and down. The Allante top has its own reputation.

The final source of amazement is the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control of the coolant fans which requires yet another module. Other divisions use relays (after 1990 the Allante did also)

So if anything has held the value down it is the sunlight damageable display stack and other modules that are either ex$pen$ive or unmaintainable. Am told vendors have supplies for about $1k. Is reason I have two that were pocket change.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stackdefects.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	575238  

Old 10-15-2021, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

Couple more. It's a very nice driving car. Used the heck out of it this past summer. Actually more than my FIrehawk Convertible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Allante engine.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	575258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiero and Allante.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	575259  

Old 10-15-2021, 03:04 PM