Old 10-13-2021, 05:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default 8 lug drum brakin problem 62 catalina

it seem when the brakes are cold after starting the car it works but after 10 min of drivin when the brakes getting warm when i hit the brakes theres extreme shutter and shaking coming from the front end....there are several theories and the longer i trouble shoot the more i came to the conclusion ..when the drums get warmer theres a severe distortion or maybe some shifting of the iron lining inside the drum which makes those Vibration. so even if i try to machine the drums round in a machine shop it would not help when it distorts when warm...is there one who has a similiar experience...?
I WISH AND PRAY I CAN GET NEW 8 LUG DRUMS .

Old 10-13-2021, 10:28 AM

Smile

Your brakes are adjusted too tight. Check your shop manual as to correct adjustment. After hearing the swish, back off 10 clicks.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Certainly possible they are adjusted too tight. That's easy to check of course. You didn't say if this situation just started one day out of nowhere, or if it has gradually gotten worse over time. I have owned 5 sets of 8 lugs on cars from 1962 through 1968 and ALL of them had this condition to some degree except my current 62 Catalina. The liners over decades get corrosion areas between the aluminum drum and the iron liner and dissipate heat at an uneven rate as they heat up. Machining the drums will not cure this as the issue is between the aluminum and the liner. Machining may improve it for a short time. The only real repair is to have the drums relined. Very expensive but nice results. My current 62 Catalina had all the drums relined by J&L machine and they are the best set of 8 lugs I have ever owned. It stops straight and smooth from 80-90 MPH 2 or three times in a row. That's the most stress I have put on them to date.
Backing off the shoe adjustment will keep the drums cooler when not braking but the pedal will be lower. IMO, those are your only real choices.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for your response...will check and inspect your suggestions.....

Old 10-13-2021, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

Regarding relining...are there replacement liners parts offered for sale...or what do they do..?

Old 10-13-2021, 02:36 PM

Relining the drums is done by turning the drums on a lathe to remove the lining, then installing a new lining using cold & heat. It's a very involved process done in a machine shop. There is one person in the Chicago area I believe that does the process but I don't have his contact info. Maybe some one else can direct you to him. It's quite costly, last I heard it was approaching $400/drum.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese country GP View Post
Relining the drums is done by turning the drums on a lathe to remove the lining, then installing a new lining using cold & heat. It's a very involved process done in a machine shop. There is one person in the Chicago area I believe that does the process but I don't have his contact info. Maybe some one else can direct you to him. It's quite costly, last I heard it was approaching $400/drum.
Yes, there are at least 2 companies that reline the 8 lug drums and their 2 approaches are different. One uses some type of glue/sealer in addition to the press fit. The other company mechanically attaches the liners to the aluminum drum in addition to the press with some type of pinning process. In my case, the 62 Catalina drums I currently have were restored and relined by : J&G Brake Drum Relining and refurbishing, Mc Henry IL 815-276-2578 The PO of my car had them done as well as a set of 15" chrome 8-lug wheels. They are beautiful and work perfectly but I could never have afforded to do it after buying the car. The other source for relining I have not used : Larry Groskopf 815-735-4002. He uses the heat shrink process and the Locktite product. I would talk to them both and see what you think. Good luck with it. A nice set of 8-lugs are really great, the rest look good, performance not the best IMO.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This problem has been discussed here multiple multiple times. The most recent discussion was in July: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=851666

I'll repeat what I've said many times in the past, your problem is corrosion between the alloy drum and the iron liner. The corrosion slows the heat transfer from the liner to the alloy where the corrosion is located. Cold they will be fine but as the drum gets hot, it effectively goes out of round and you get the dreaded judder.

You can play about adjusting the drums till the cows come home but if you want to solve this problem, getting them relined is your ONLY choice. Links above seem to have produced good results.

Good luck

Old 10-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Senior Chief

Default 8 lug drums

..thanks for all the input...ill will try adjustment first looking the bearings but think its the corrosion like you said...since im in Austria not in the USA Ill have to find here a company if a had luck....still wondering if replacement liners are availaible or they must create ist on there own....

Old 10-14-2021, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Austria....... About as far from the US as Australia. I feel your pain mate. How about modifying your heading bar so it shows your location. It sort of makes things easier when you are trying to explain your problems. Just a suggestion.

Now, seeing as you are in Austria, maybe you could think about this. I understand that early Porsche cars had aluminium brake drums with iron liners and that there is an industry in Germany who restores (relines) those early drums.

Maybe if you approached one of those companies, they might be able to help you. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

Good luck

Ian

Old 10-15-2021, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default 8 lug

...youre right i know from a friend about he had problems with his early 356 porsche..he did a relining.in germany.... But he told me the problem came back ..after a while...he told me its no garantee that it it will work..a long time ....or dont know if the company did the relining right....its hard to find a company these days for drumwork but find one in Austria.......maybe .i will try... he suggested or we talked about for a better relining material ....but he also mentioned they did relining maybe 2x in the last 15 years..so its still an experiment from my view..but thy make a lot of machining an also do a lot of parts reproduction. So i feel confident in a certain way.....maybe a better lining material is best instead of normal iron lining since the weak 60 years old aluminum alloy us still there and responsible for the issuses.....any way headaches LOL

Old 10-15-2021, 06:38 PM
Suspended

1 Check the center link, that's what this sounds like.

2 Take the drums to a machine shop and have them checked for straightness..

3 Do you have the new 15" rims for those drums. My experience is they are too heavy and make the cars unsprung weight too heavy. In 1967 68 Kelsey Hayes concluded the 14" 8 lug rims were too heavy so they took the extra steel out of the rims. Ever notice the checkered design wheels.. They are the best wheels to have..

4 Sorry but the relined drums are pretty much for show cars and not drivers who want to drive spiritually

Old 10-15-2021, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
4 Sorry but the relined drums are pretty much for show cars and not drivers who want to drive spiritually
I'd have to disagree with this. I had my front drums relined years ago by Roger Rheil and they were fine. I probably drove them over 30 thousand miles. Not absolutely perfect but they never bothered me enough to worry me.

When the Arrowhead reproductions came out, I bought a pair of new front drums but I was very disappointed in them in that neither drum had wheel studs fitted and I had to have my old ones pressed out and the liner in one drum was not perfect to the point I had to get them both machined out (from memory) 100thou so effectively they were brand new drums which had been machined to the absolute wear limit. In the meantime I had sold my Roger Rheil drums so I was down the creek so to speak.

Reading in this forum, it appears that both the companies doing relining in the US seem to be doing a great job. Lots of happy owners.

When I can afford it, I'll probably send my drums back to the US AGAIN and hopefully get them back on the car. If you think getting your drums relined in the US is expensive, think about how I have to ship them back to the US and pay to have them returned to Australia. It hurts.......

JMHO

Ian

Old 10-16-2021, 04:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default 8 lug

Heybuck thanks for sharing your experience and statments ill apreciate this very much thats why i love this forum here...and collect a lot of opinions ..and answers so it will make a clearer picture to me.....like i said before relining a check th basics abd pissibble other causes...and ill start the relining option ...ill will post the news...or,results as soon as i can...

Old 10-16-2021, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

389....ill have stock 62 ' 8 lugs 14 wheels do you think the 14 wheel are so much heavier then 15"...

Old 10-16-2021, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

Heybuck i feel the same like you regarding the 8 lug crazyness..about cost and and effort it hurts...it a pain but we want to keep those 8 lugs thats our problem ..regarding arrowhead thanks for sharing your experience ..

Old 10-16-2021, 11:21 PM

Fred Teufert's website has a reprint of an article written by Roger Reihl many years ago for the POCI Smoke Signals magazine. It includes the weights of the various components of an 8 lug setup on the first page: http://www.teufert.net/pontiac/8lug/8lug.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Roger Reihl had very little to do with the rebuilding of those drums. He knew a local machine shop that used to do them for him. For years they were doing nice work for him but in the last few years of being in business the drums were no good. They were out of round and would shutter as soon as they warmed up.. He was a friend of mine and he told me the drums he's been getting back were no good for a driver and only recommended for trailer queens.

In 1967-68 Kelsey Hayes made the 8 lug wheels even lighter. But I would have no issue running any rim that was made by Kelsey Hayes for the 8 lug. Especially since Diamond Back is now selling the correct tires for those rims and that car, the beauty of them is they are made with the most modern tire tech thats out there. Everybody I know who has them say they ride like a dream...

Roger was a wiz with the four speed hydra matics. I personally always liked that transmission. He used to teach me over the phone how the circuits run in that valve body. That transmission was one of the most complicated transmissions ever made and when properly set up would have one of these big Pontiacs howling down the road loafing at 120.. Theres even a little red Indian who comes out to cheer on the war party....

Last edited by 389; 04-25-2022 at 05:43 PM.