WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Wheels/Tires

93-02 Wheels/Tires What setup is on your Bird?

Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lug nut wrench protector

At Hershey a couple years ago, I fello was selling socket inserts made of plastic or nylon that you would insert into a six point socket to protect your wheel nuts from tool rash. So if you had an 3/4 head on your nut, you would install one of these hex sided plastic inserts into a six sided 7/8 socket and then torque. Anyone know where to get one for the std. GM 3/4 lug nut?
Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool SNAP-ON makes metric inserts

Here's a link:
https://store.snapon.com/Non-marRing...s-C754106.aspx

Harbor Freight sells lined sockets:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...-pc-69781.html
Old 09-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately the metric Snap on largest size is 17mm. Under 3/4inch. Otherwise those are the type of insert I saw prior. The Harbor freight sockets protect the wheel not the nut. Thanks for trying.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Found another set that might work.

These from Torquestick:
https://www.torquestick.com/cart/home.php?cat=16

Most of the manufacturers of these sockets claim that the socket does not put any pressure on the corners of the lug nut so it won't distort or damage the chrome (?). I don't know about that.

Some have suggested using a set of these and pushing either a plastic bag or saran wrap into the opening before you put it onto each lug nut to protect the finish on the nut. That kind of makes sense.

And everyone agrees, even though they may claim they are impact sockets, NOT to use an impact wrench.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interesting and keep up the detective work! I have been thinking about a PVC pipe and oven heating it just enough to force it over a std lug nut. Then what ever the external hex ends up, try a std 6 point socket. 90 lbs torque is about average and if everything is very tight, I would think 20 lug nuts could be torqued. Could be the schedule 90 stuff would be better. I just don`t know. If you try it let me know. Thanks again.