Old 01-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default E-head inserts

Anyone have pics or data on putting inserts in E-heads? Are they needed?
This would be aimed @ a stock runner head on a turbo appl. with ARP stud clamping deal.

Thanks,
KRIS

Old 01-28-2021, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Available in the archives if you search...

Old 01-28-2021, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sure...

I remember Charlie had issues & looked again over his past posts. Anyone else care to revisit?

I would like to hear how much he torqued his stuff down. This looks all heat related on the outer/exh. flange side.

I wonder what Remflex gaskets and added 421 cooling hole might do.. Anyone ever made convertible E-heads ? LOL

Past posts for reference:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ghlight=insert

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ghlight=insert

Old 01-28-2021, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've recently bought a set of Eheads for my turbo combo, I'm not fussy on the t-inserts or sleeves - you are machining away the ID of the bolt tower-weakening it- to fit the inserts.
My plan is to spot face the heads bolt pads and then use large diameter 1/4" thick hardened steel washers/ARP studs to spread the clamp load over a larger area -same as I did with my previous iron heads.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm running a T washer on my turbo setup and did the "Charlie Mod Sleeves" on the two ends and center exhaust bolt holes. I had it originally converted with the T washer but I like his idea so I copied it.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

It seems to be a consensus that excessive heat plays a big roll in the issue of bolt holes collapsing. Since learning about it, I have been looking at potential preventative steps I can take to help minimize or eliminate the chances of experiencing it personally.

Now I dont know if it will help or not however in theory, ceramic coating of the exhaust ports and combustion chambers should help prevent a good deal of heat transferring into the head in the first place perhaps minimizing or even eliminating the issue all together. Ive ceramic coated my E-heads to assist with street cooling my Turbo 496 (build in progress) . Perhaps Coatings teamed up with the above mod would further help... Just wondering what peoples thoughts are the possibility of coatings helping with the bolt hole collapsing issue?

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 01-30-2021, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would this mod help with the situation at all?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...55#post4689855

Running water through the head at the exhaust ports. Page 2 has good pics. I'm considering doing this mod on the Bandit's E-heads. Just not sure about the flow of things. As it is we will have the front and rear water ports run to a manifold then to the upper radiator hose. Similar to the pic attached. On this engine (pic) with Tiger heads, we tee'd the rear and middle holes together and joined the front water lines at the water manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water manifold.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	559773  

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT

Last edited by ErikW; 01-30-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is reverse cooled and dry decked - so the cooled water goes directly through the heads rather than it being heated up by going through the block first.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Pontiac heads have this ridiculous extra long exhaust runner and when that's only aluminum on a turbo appl. and the roof is seeing the most heat... plus your pedestals are built into that all.. well that's not very smart engineering.

I'm leaning towards something like Charlie did.. moving the clamping down to a much cooler/reliable area but retaining height with material B.

PS.
Found this VERY informative cutaway picture from member 7T2 showing the center of the E-heads.

KRIS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e-head_cutaway_7T2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	559790  

Old 02-02-2021, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDOLFSSON View Post
The Pontiac heads have this ridiculous extra long exhaust runner and when that's only aluminum on a turbo appl. and the roof is seeing the most heat... plus your pedestals are built into that all.. well that's not very smart engineering.

I'm leaning towards something like Charlie did.. moving the clamping down to a much cooler/reliable area but retaining height with material B.

PS.
Found this VERY informative cutaway picture from member 7T2 showing the center of the E-heads.

KRIS.
That's awesome. It would be neat to see the cut off half .

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 02-12-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
I've recently bought a set of Eheads for my turbo combo, I'm not fussy on the t-inserts or sleeves - you are machining away the ID of the bolt tower-weakening it- to fit the inserts.
My plan is to spot face the heads bolt pads and then use large diameter 1/4" thick hardened steel washers/ARP studs to spread the clamp load over a larger area -same as I did with my previous iron heads.
This is exactly what I did, diy with a homemade cutter. The ARP washers have a laughably small contact area, and exceeds the compressive strength of the cast aluminum (calculated to verify). The T-washers aren't any better; same OD (if I remember correctly). After enlarging the spot faces and upgrading to larger, thicker washers, the deformation went away completely.

Last edited by adynes; 02-12-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
Where are you getting the 1/4" thick hardened washers? Do you have a part #?

Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I made the .250" thick x 1.00" O/D washers on the lathe and then hardened them (heat to cherry red and drop into cool water). You can buy thick hardened washers from engineering outlets -they are used for tool or work piece clamping.

The Following User Says Thank You to taff2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How much torque are folks applying to studded E-heads with ARP lube on all contacts? I remember reading on here as low as 85-90 ft-lbs.. !!

@ adynes is that on a turbo application ?

Install sheet as a reference:

Old 02-18-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDOLFSSON View Post
@ adynes is that on a turbo application ?
Yeah. Don't have any pictures on my current phone. Not a ton of run time since first run in 2017; car is a work in progress.