Old 08-16-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was very happy with my DUI distributor. (New engine will have a different ignition system.) A plus is that you can call them in Memphis, give 'em your specs, and they'll send you a pre-curved distributor.

My records show that it cost me $305 back in 2015, and I put 10,000 trouble-free miles on it.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Keep the points distributor and use it to trigger a Vertex Z6 Capacitive Discharge box... The primary on this ignition is 600 volts! So you can imagion how much is one tap. I run .060 gaps.

The iron single point distributor is a much better distributor so if you have one by all means use that...

Use a set of Accel or Standard points. Remove the vacuum advance and bolt the points plate to the distributors frame and remove the adjustment spring on the points and use the correct amount of washers to get you to 28-29 degrees dwell.. Since your using maybe 8% of what that distributor was designed to put out those points will last an easy 60,000 + miles..
Keep the condenser and put a double throw double pole switch under the dash so you can go back to points only should any issues come up.. You will need that to check the dwell occasionally..

I like to use the Mallory Voltmaster coil for that vintage look besides they are one of the best coils ever produced..

Since you removed the vacuum advance, give the initial timing 8 to 12 more degrees. The engine will idle and run much better. The idle will always be at the same spot. I run 22 initial on my 454 without vacuum advance..