Old 08-01-2021, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Adding an AMP gauge?

I am adding a new Auto Gauge amp gauge. What is the best way to wire it? where to get the power? ect.

Thanks, Dave

Old 08-01-2021, 03:48 PM

My first thought is maybe you should not install it at all. What year Pontiac? How many amps is your alternator? It needs to be wired inline with the main hot wire that comes off of your starter or possibly horn relay and goes to everything else. You need to run two fat wires of at least 10 gauge but I would go with 8 or 6. You then end up with a lot of power available under your dash. If this gets shorted to ground you will probably start your wiring harness on fire. I still have a scar on my arm from over 40 years ago when I got my metal watch band from my ammeter to ground. Melted the watch band. so make sure the wire is run in a clean, reliable and protected way.

My favorite ammeter is one from the boat world from a company called Blue Sea Marine. It is a 100 Amp remote shunt digital meter so you don't have the high power wires running under the dash. I have never found one like it in the automotive aftermarket. It is smaller that automotive gauges and certainly would not look period correct in a classic pontiac.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use to use an amp gauge in my 55 Chev. I noticed some of the plastic around the gauge melting and decided I don't need that power under dash and went with a volt meter.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to you both, I am going to go to a Volt meter instead. ( My car is a 65 GTO)
"If this gets shorted to ground you probably start your wiring harness on fire." that is exactly what happened to me. Luckily I was in my driveway when it happened and quickly shut it down. I ordered a new engine harness from M&H.
I can't thank you enough I will look for a volt meter to replace my amp gauge in my after market Auto Gauge Set.

Dave

Old 08-02-2021, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
Thanks to you both, I am going to go to a Volt meter instead. ( My car is a 65 GTO)
"If this gets shorted to ground you probably start your wiring harness on fire." that is exactly what happened to me. Luckily I was in my driveway when it happened and quickly shut it down. I ordered a new engine harness from M&H.
I can't thank you enough I will look for a volt meter to replace my amp gauge in my after market Auto Gauge Set.

Dave
Good decision.