Old 09-03-2021, 05:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Adding AC to '67 Catalina

Most of the AC kits apply to the A and F body cars, but I know I can't be the only one looking to install AC in a non-factory AC b-body car. Vintage Air has the Gen 4 universal kit, and I'm sure Classic Air has a similar product.

Looking for recommendations / tips from those who have installed AC in their B-body car.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd
Old 09-05-2021, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Classic in a 1964 GP . It was their Street Rodder2 kit. It installed easily and was very cold. The vents on the ends didn’t direct air that well so I installed the factory end vents.
I bought a 1962 Bonneville with Old Air ac. The system was cold but the routing for the vents was terrible. I made my own duct work and replaced the vents with the ones that came with the Classic system that I didn’t use in the GP.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the reply!

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd
Old 09-07-2021, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a Vintage Air in a 61 Ventura. I did a few things my own way to simulate a original look. But all in all I like the way it turned out. You may have a problem finding a firewall blank off plate because, as you have noticed, the after market doesn't recognize B body an in my case especially pre 1964. You will probably find that the offerings for compressor mounting and pulley selection for an A body will work for you. But some of the other pieces like dryer mounting that would be in an A body kit would not work. It can all be done with a little ingenuity.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:32 PM

The other option would be to go with one of those under dash units. Vintage Air and some of the other companies sell them, and while they aren't as attractive as in dash air conditioning, they are simpler to install and do look pretty much like the dealer installed units that were used back in the day.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A classic day 2 install. And it does not muck up your dash or heater.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah - the more I get to know my car the more I see it's a long way from its birth pedigree. Engine looks to be from a 72 F-body, has been converted to 4-spd, not original paint color etc.

A "day 2" AC unit hanging beneath the dash won't make much difference

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd