Old 09-14-2021, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Coating in between trunk panels

I'm stripping the back side of a 65 GTO trunk lid. I can see surface scale rust in the various holes between the inner and outer panel.
What is best to seal up or deal with the rust? Finding a chemical dipper is not really an option as they are to far away from my small town.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Eastwood rust encapsulator. Its thin, but gets into places and works. Got pics?

Old 09-14-2021, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately, there is not a lot that can be done to offer much in the way of confidence. On my '66, I applied POR-15 with a brush where I could on the inside, and then also applied it very heavily and set the lid against a wall vertically so the paint could hopefully seep down between the two layers along the rear edge. Chemical dipping might help remove internal corrosion, but I don't know that it would prevent it from returning. There's very little that can realistically be done, or at least to my knowledge. Quality reproduction trunk lids are sorely needed for numerous years.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went through the same thing with the body panels like the hood and trunk lid. My solution was to buy a damaged one piece shower I bought at a plumbing supply house that a worker ran forklift forks through it and a bucket with a sump pump under it creating a continuous bath using a rust removal chemical I saw online. The picture is below. I would probably go the route of how I derusted my seat frames using a frame of 2X4s and heavy mil plastic to create a tub and them used a 5 gallon bucket of Evap-o-Rust. You can make it shallow and tight to the trunk lid and flip it upside down pouring the evap-o-rust into the underside of the trunk lid. After done rinse with water and save the evap-o-rust for later and then use Eastwood rust encapsulater green coating with the included wand to penetrate the areas you can't reach. Paint with whatever you want, black epoxy etc.. and overspray with body color when painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7611.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	573041  

Old 09-15-2021, 06:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's basically the way I'm going to do my hood. I have some tape what will hold liquid for days if necessary, going to tape up the scoop holes and any other penetrations and pour in enough Evaporust to cover everything, cover with some plastic and let it sit for a few days.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks all. Can't get a good pic of the rust but it is just surface rust.
I was looking at Eastwood internal frame spray. It seals up the rust and has
a wand to go down the passages, I think I may try that.