THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow FWIW...

I bought this 2021 16' BIG TEX for $3900 out the door just before NORWALK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NORWALK or BUST 2021.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	574529  

Old 10-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
^^^How does that add up? Are tires $200/ea? It's his best friend's widow!!!

My intial reaction was $2,000. But it looks like it has nice wheels, D-rings, possibly a storage box. This is worth $2,500 easy. Especially if it has a steel deck. If it has a wood deck, that is in poor shape, the price would come down a bit. I assume it has ramps?
Diamond plate steel deck trailer with rear side exit ramps from the limited pictures. Even with the eventual expense of $400 worth of D load range tires, that particular open trailer would get snapped up very quickly in my area @ $2500.

My biggest issues w steel deck 18 & 20 ft open car trailers is when you're one of the few that actually work such a trailer, one needs to make sure one doesn't buy one from one of the low end manufacturers. For many years, the low end steel deck trailers in my region tended to have angle iron crossmembers that were widely spaced. Used quite a bit, loading & unloading a bunch of cars & pickups, the steel deck will eventually get numerous low spots in the middle of the unsupported areas. Thats something to look at on a well used steel deck entry level trailer. Even poorly built like this, such steel deck trailers are heavy. Trailer weight is something I factored in in the 90's, most often pulling with my 4.0 XJ Cherokee. My 3rd 18 ft open trailer pulled like a dream & due to its custom build was extremely versatile for the 20 years I worked it.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The trailer has 5x4.75 hubs on it and is currently running older passenger or light truck tires. It does have electric brakes but they haven't worked in years. The bed is sturdy, my buddy hauled a motor home on it but bent the ramps loading it. Replaced the ramps with heavier ones and had the center rear opened for slide ins so they are no longer load on the side of the trailer. It is 18' and has an old winch but it seldom works.I was with him the day he bought it. He wanted a 16 footer but he lot attendant hooked him up to an 18 footer and it would not come off the hitch so the dealer let him have it for the 16' price. When we got home it came right off the ball! That was my buddy's luck! I have worked on the trailer keeping the lights working and even buying and putting on LEDs. I helped maintain it and was given the use of it whenever I was in need of it.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like you are trying to do right by him. I think $2k is your number.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
^^^How does that add up? Are tires $200/ea? It's his best friend's widow!!!

My intial reaction was $2,000. But it looks like it has nice wheels, D-rings, possibly a storage box. This is worth $2,500 easy. Especially if it has a steel deck. If it has a wood deck, that is in poor shape, the price would come down a bit. I assume it has ramps?
Not busting balls just saying if it is a 20 year old trailer with a few problems$$$ Maybe my OP is from the price range in my area. Good luck with the sale and great to help out a friend.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If that thing was run through Richie Bros in my town I would bet it would go for at least $3500! Anything that can be pulled with a pickup truck fetches top dollar and trailers always get big money. Most I have seen sell for not much less than buying new. On the other hand I had a nice Eager Beaver 20t that barely got to $10g.

Buying from a friends widow, I would concur on the 2-2.5k range.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
The trailer has 5x4.75 hubs on it .
Wheels are Chevy truck rallys which are 5on5 bolt pattern.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Wheels are Chevy truck rallys which are 5on5 bolt pattern.
You are correct. My old mind can't hold it all anymore!

Old 10-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2k isnt bad considering what things are going for recently.

I'd highly suggest welding on as many D-rings as possible. My 18ft steel deck has 4 rings up front and 4 more in the rear. It's so nice having options when strapping cars down. Last year I put almost 6k miles on the trailer, and having multiple rings was a life saver, and great peace of mind.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-07-2021, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are no D rings on the back of the trailer and two on the front of the frame. If I do get it I will use it maybe once or twice a year! I am almost 71(Oct, 18) and my car hauling days are about over.