Old 10-10-2021, 12:23 PM

Default Has anyone re-skinned a 66 GTO roof? Need advise.

No response in 66-67 Tech, so reposting here...

I know it is along shot, but after searching old posts, it looks like the only repro roof skin was designed to fit 66-67 Chevelle's. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

Ames has the repro roof skin but mentions that it falls short of the rear, and needs some massaging to get it to fit.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2021, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can’t speak for the ‘66 part of the question but my metal guy had to fabricate one for my ‘64 on his wheel. So - if you have that sort of talent in your area that is an option.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Wild_Cat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default roof

I did a DIY 70 roof and bought a GM Chevelle Olds Buick skin Think it was Dynacorn

One key is being very careful getting old roof off. You have or need to preserve the gutter structure to re-attach new.
Get some measurements from the front and rear as height etc and keep as notes. Best as you can

the roof on the gutter has smaller spot welds than say normal everywhere else GM so locate by wire brush on drill or air tool then drill carefully
Once there drilled you will not be able to release the roof from the gutter without using the cutoff wheel and very carefully and slow grind out near the spot welds from the top

Once its off likely you'll have a lot of cleaning and repair to do

Get it cleaned and painted then work on your roof skin and use some sort of insulation for it and glue it on. I used Home Crepo thin carpet or upholstery material... It worked good I thought

once insulated then start test fits.. and if your doing quarter panel work you need to do them 1st as the roof fits over the quarter panel

its likely not gonna be perfect... clamps and such are your friend

Impotent ;; test fit your windshield and rear before welding and use clamps

I dont have pix but mock up your windshield trim too front and back and see if the lines work with the stainless.

Once in place where it works with clamps use screws to hold it in before welding. you can always close the screw holes up with weld afterwards
The rear area for 70 seemed to fit ok I dont know the issues with 66-67 sorry

being repo it dosent fit perfect be ready for that as you can see mines was a hair short but worked.

Important to get these corners right for the stainless trim so work with it in corners and get as good as possible... Again being repo and not Gm its close but not perfect so just make sure its square and measurements are good, and your stainless trim fits well and tight. The repo skins as well will not have the post to mount the trim so you will have to get the Ames trim hold screw kit to replace...

Weld up holes and grind and you should be there
I dont have pix of welding and grinding but after primed and such be ready to use kitty hair on the corners to fill those large gaps that lead use to be in

walla before you know it 8 years has passed and your done

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eric65 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get yourself some Cleco fasteners for that job, you'll be glad you did.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 10:03 AM

I used the one from chevelle on my 67 gto it fit fine after i put it on i read the Catalog and they said you had to change this and that my fit perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtojeff1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 05:15 PM

Thanks eric65 for the detailed post. Lots of good info there, and from all of you guys.

gtojeff1967, I saw the Ames claim too that it might fall short of the rear of the roof, so you didn't experience that? I wonder if things may have changed. I may just have to give them a call.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the skin replaced on my 66, local body man took some measurements, said it was the same for 66 67 chevelles and ordered one from AMD, it fit fine. The roof was welded in some areas and he used structural adhesives in others.

The Following User Says Thank You to lugnutx2 For This Useful Post: