Old 08-11-2022, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Norwalk 2022 thread

I’m thirsty for updates and pictures .. stuck in Spain of all places.

Thanks in advance!
Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 PM

Motel parking lot

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtokid1968 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Without any posts by the 'banned' PY member posts on Norwalk, this thread is sparce.

The place is packed to the gills. No video, though.

The 'banned' PY member ran a breakout 7.9x in Gambler's race.

Kauffman's has a large display of many parts.
(didn't see Butler or AP there?)

Some stuff:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kauffman-raised-cam-tunnel-pro-billet-block-20220812.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	596363   Click image for larger version

Name:	kauffman-raised-cam-tunnel-pro-billet-block1-20220812.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	596364   Click image for larger version

Name:	kauffman-roller-cams-20220812.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	596365   Click image for larger version

Name:	kauffman-parts-20220812.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	596366   Click image for larger version

Name:	kauffman-super-wedge-20220812.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	596367  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

George got kicked off? Didn't know that. He provided good updates and visual footage of the event.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
George got kicked off? Didn't know that. He provided good updates and visual footage of the event.
This place is getting ridiculous with banning people.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 03:33 PM
Boost Engineer

The only reason the guy got kicked off the board permanently is because he ran his mouth to the wrong moderator.
He was not a young kid, he was an old man, who should know better.

So SLOWBIRD you need to get your facts straight before you run your mouth and get thrown off the board too.
I hope that does not happen to you or others.

Those are the facts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The only reason the guy got kicked off the board permanently is because he ran his mouth to the wrong moderator. He was not a young kid, he was an old man.

So SLOWBIRD you need to get your facts straight before you run your mouth and get thrown off the board too.

Those are the facts.

Tom V.
Wow really??? Nice Tom

Old 08-13-2022, 03:37 PM
Boost Engineer

Providing good advice, and the facts.

Why don't you leave me out of your comments in the future.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Providing good advice, and the facts.

Why don't you leave me out of your comments in the future.

Tom V.
What on earth on you talking about???? I didn't mention you at all!! My statement was a general one!

Old 08-13-2022, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back to topic:

Butler has a big display as usual. Talked to David and Rodney, bought an oil pan.
Didn't find AP and Frank wasn't in Frantic Four.
Mike Cooper wins Frantic Four.
Great weather, safe racing, big swap meet and car show.
Arnie is here, doing well, holding court 😎
Jeff Kauffman didn't bring his car and Steve Dale didn't make it so we get to keep our 250 record a bit longer.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 05:23 PM
Boost Engineer

Frank posted he might not be coming to the event this year with Gas Prices being where they were.

Glad Cooper won again and the Butlers are there again this year. Thanks for the update Eric on them.

Tom V.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:54 PM
Senior Chief

Forums are dying and pretty much rightfully so.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
This place is getting ridiculous with banning people.
Brian,
Yes it has.

While I know that there are many sides to the same story. I must say that I found Pastry Chef's side of his story very enlightening.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 08:13 PM
Boost Engineer

So that's it for the Norwalk Racing???

Always liked to hear about the NSS guys and who is left racing at Norwalk these days.

Tom V.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent Friday and Saturday at the event. As a fairly "new spectator", a few observations. 1. Swap Meet. The largest I have ever seen to date. I think I have been to all but 2-3 of the 31 events. Less and less of the NOS parts in the swap meet. But more and more of salvage parts that can be cleaned, restored and reused. I few gems in the swap meet but bring your $$$ to buy them. A NOS service replacement 428, and a 4 bolt 400 were a couple examples. Car Corral. Wide variety of cars for sale. None IMO at asking prices that brought much interest. But owners may have been taking offers. Cars from the 1950's to 2000's for sale. Couple examples: A 70-73 TA that was so rusty, I couldn't tell what year it was. IMO only thing salvageable was the trim tag and VIN. for 5K. Possibly the front bumper could have been saved with many hours of work. Not one piece of usable sheet metal on the car. A 69 GTO, with the 2 bbl. economy engine option for $4500.00. In the same general condition as the TA mentioned. Again, nothing really salvageable. All exterior sheet metal including the roof rusted through, Frame, floor, trunk all gone. 3. Vendors. All the usual vendors in their typical spaces. Ames in particular, was very busy both days and under-staffed. I think only 2-3 people actually working the big tent. Many people waiting 45 minutes in line to buy stuff. Vending area in general was busy. 4. Race side of track. Pretty parked up. But not quite to capacity like last year. Tons of bracket cars and what I would consider, street/strip cars. Fewer high end dedicated fast race cars, like quick 16 type cars. I think the open body quick 16 car class only had 4-5 entries. The very fast Pontiac powered race cars, like Frantic 4 were limited to 5 entries. The class car of the event was Mike Cooper with his beautiful Jerry Bickel Pro-Charged Firebird. It ran multiple low 6 second passes@ around 220-225mph with regular maintenance. Smooth, quick and reliable. The next quickest car on the property, Pontiac powered was nearly a second off that pace. 5. Arnie Beswick. Arnie was set-up on the show car side near the grandstands. He was in good spirits and had a steady stream of fans and well wishers both days, all day. He had "Arnie Mart", all set up nice and was signing all his items and anything else a fan might want autographed including their cars. The Tameless Tiger was on display but not started or raced. For 92, he was as sharp and engaging as always. A Pontiac Legend in the true sense of the word. Spend some time with him if you ever get the chance. Final thought: Always the premier event for Pontiac fans. Norwalk facility, staff and operations is the best in the country, IMO. They really want your experience there to be positive and actually do things to make you want to come back. It's not just a bunch of words and BS. Hope that give you a feel for this years event.

I forgot to answer Tom's question about NSS. The field was a little thin this year. Two Non- Pontiacs were particularly impressive to me. There was a 409 powered Chevy that sounded great and was running low 10's consistently. Also an old Rambler that I don't think I have ever seen, running in the 10's with AMC power. They were cool. Several Catalinas and GP's running low 11's to low 13's in that class as well. I don't recall seeing any full size NSS Pontiacs running in the 10's , but I could have missed 1 or 2. Tried to watch them all.

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-14-2022 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent Friday and Saturday at the event. As a fairly "new spectator", a few observations. 1. Swap Meet. The largest I have ever seen to date. I think I have been to all but 2-3 of the 31 events. Less and less of the NOS parts in the swap meet. But more and more of salvage parts that can be cleaned, restored and reused. I few gems in the swap meet but bring your $$$ to buy them. A NOS service replacement 428, and a 4 bolt 400 were a couple examples. Car Corral. Wide variety of cars for sale. None IMO at asking prices that brought much interest. But owners may have been taking offers. Cars from the 1950's to 2000's for sale. Couple examples: A 70-73 TA that was so rusty, I couldn't tell what year it was. IMO only think salvageable was the trim tag and VIN. for 5K. Possibly the front bumper could have been saved with many hours of work. Not one piece of usable sheet metal on the car. A 69 GTO, with the 2 bbl. economy engine option for $4500.00. In the same general condition as the TA mentioned. Again, nothing really salvageable. All exterior sheet metal including the roof rusted through, Frame, floor, trunk all gone. 3. Vendors. All the usual vendors in their typical spaces. Ames in particular, was very busy both days and under-staffed. I think only 2-3 people actually working the big tent. Many people waiting 45 minutes in line to buy stuff. Vending area in general was busy. 4. Race side of track. Pretty parked up. But not quite to capacity like last year. Tons of bracket cars and what I would consider, street/strip cars. Fewer high end dedicated fast race cars, like quick 16 type cars. I think the open body quick 16 car class only had 4-5 entries. The very fast Pontiac powered race cars, like Frantic 4 were limited to 5 entries. The class car of the event was Mike Cooper with his beautiful Jerry Bickel Pro-Charged Firebird. It ran multiple low 6 second passes@ around 220-225mph with regular maintenance. Smooth, quick and reliable. The next quickest car on the property, Pontiac powered was nearly a second off that pace. 5. Arnie Beswick. Arnie was set-up on the show car side near the grandstands. He was in good spirits and had a steady stream of fans and well wishers both days, all day. He had "Arnie Mart", all set up nice and was signing all his items and anything else a fan might want autographed including their cars. The Tameless Tiger was on display but not started or raced. For 92, he was as sharp and engaging as always. A Pontiac Legend in the true sense of the word. Spend some time with him if you ever get the chance. Final thought: Always the premier event for Pontiac fans. Norwalk facility, staff and operations is the best in the country, IMO. They really want your experience there to be positive and actually do things to make you want to come back. It's not just a bunch of words and BS. Hope that give you a feel for this years event.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Boost Engineer

Thanks Mike for the info. Think Pontiac NSS is pretty much dead with all of the people
like Joe Zajac, Larry Kauffman, Nunzi, and Rick Johnson, (and RIP Dave Johnson) no
longer putting "life" into the old Big Cars and early Tempests.

Tom V.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ok, I'll bite: NSS?

Old 08-14-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, Nostalgia Super Stock. Kind of a staple at Norwalk, other similar events. Generally a booked-in group from several small organizations. Most have a wide range of rules, allowed years and cars. Also widely variable rules for engines, transmissions and modifications. Heads-up class. Nice showcase for period Super Stock cars from early-mid 60's.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ah, gracias.