Old 07-16-2022, 08:17 AM

Default Slim Jim swap

Hi, in the process of swapping out slim Jim to turbo 350, read lots of post and thought I had it all figured out, my issue is with torque converter pilot, have a BOP converter from summit, pilot will not fit into crank, I never seen any post about this doing this swap, is there a converter that will fit or do I need to have crankshaft machined?any information will be appreciated

Old 07-16-2022, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

A lot of info on this swap here.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=858379

Old 07-16-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as a first thought - is it possible that for some reason, like maybe a previous owner had to do engine work, that you now have a crankshaft from a manual transmission car that has a pilot bearing still in the crank? The Slim Jim uses that coupling plate that looks a lot like clutch plate and I don't think the splined shaft out of the pump ever touches the crank so an unused pilot bearing would not likely be a problem,

The Following User Says Thank You to pfilean For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2022, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A pre 1964 engine?

Old 07-17-2022, 09:13 AM

It's a 1962 389 catalina, I checked the numbers and they correct for that year,

Old 07-17-2022, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As you have a 62 block you must be using an adaptor as the 62 block will not accept a block mounted starter and the 350 transmission will not accept a bellhousing mounted starter. There are only two adaptors available that I am aware of, and each comes with a flexplate spacer as part of the package. The spacer allows for the increased material between the block and the face of the transmission. There are two possible spacers as there are two possible crankshaft register hole sizes, based on year. But that is for the outer diameter of the spacer. The inner diameter should accept the proper torque converter pilot.

Unless you are making some of these pieces yourself in which case it sounds like you may have a flexplate spacer with the wrong center hole size.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:18 PM

I have the adapter plate and spacer from Butler performance, and 1965 flex plate, pilot on converter is about a 16th of inch to big to slid into crank, I'm wandering if all torque converter have the same diameter pilot or I ordered the wrong one

Old 07-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The difference in spacers should only be in the OD based on crankshaft year. I used the Wilcap and they sent two spacers in the shipment. Use the one that works and send the other back no problem.

Sounds like maybe the Bendtsen machinist forgot to make the last cut on the lathe. Check with them and see what you can get. There have been reports that they are not the most responsive to questions regarding how to make their products work. Give it a try but maybe you will have to take what you have to a machine shop and have them correct what appears to be an error.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:53 PM

Yes something isn't right, I thank you for all your information, I'll let you know what I find out

Old 07-17-2022, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People have had the input of the converters cut down to it the OD of the crank center.Tom

Old 07-17-2022, 05:12 PM

Thanks, I believe that's what I need to do, thanks again everyone for their help