Old 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default To replace a CV joint ...

My son's late 80s Bonneville needs a CV joint replaced. I;m pretty handy, but I've neve done this. Is this a big job?

Can you describe how this is done and any "gotchas" waiting for me if I do this.

Someone said you should replace the whole axle assembly - true?

Thanks,
Bob Trimpe

Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM

It really isn't too big a deal. The reason for changing out the whole shaft is two fold. First is cost, it actually is cheaper to relace the whole shaft than just the one joint, the second is the fact that the other joint has just as much time on it, might as well swap it. To do it, you have to pull the ball joint out of the spindle, remove the nut from the end of the shaft, tap it in to get it loose from the hub. Turn the tie rod out as far as you can (with the steering wheel) so you have more room to extend, and pull the spindle out off the shaft. There is just a spring loaded circlip inside, so just get a prybar behind the inner joint and give it a good pop, should come right out. You may have some fluid come out when you pop the joint out. Installation is about the same, the shaft just pops into place. Put the shaft back into the hub, turn the wheels back to straight, put the ball joint back in, and put the nut back on the shaft.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 PM

It really isn't too big a deal. The reason for changing out the whole shaft is two fold. First is cost, it actually is cheaper to relace the whole shaft than just the one joint, the second is the fact that the other joint has just as much time on it, might as well swap it. To do it, you have to pull the ball joint out of the spindle, remove the nut from the end of the shaft, tap it in to get it loose from the hub. Turn the tie rod out as far as you can (with the steering wheel) so you have more room to extend, and pull the spindle out off the shaft. There is just a spring loaded circlip inside, so just get a prybar behind the inner joint and give it a good pop, should come right out. You may have some fluid come out when you pop the joint out. Installation is about the same, the shaft just pops into place. Put the shaft back into the hub, turn the wheels back to straight, put the ball joint back in, and put the nut back on the shaft.