Old 06-16-2007, 02:36 PM

Question 4th gen interior in a third gen formula

can anybody tell me what has to de done to put a fourth gen interior ia a third gen formula i heard it's been done .I'd like some info from someone who did it.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dash probably won't work...you might like to try www.thirdgen.org it has lots of info on third gens.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Smile fuorth gen in third gen

thanx for the input I'm not to worried abot the dash i just thoght i'd put in some furth gen seats and door panels etc thanx again ED

Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Red face spelling

aftewr looking at my reply I have to appoligize for my spoelling ED LOL

Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dash CAN be made to work, but it is a rather large project. Same with the door panels...they can fit, but they need a lot of tweaking.

Seats are a no-brainer, they swap right in, tracks and all. Some people report minor fitment issues with the rear seats, but the fronts are 100% guaranteed to drop right in. I put ebony cloth '02 Camaro seats in my '92 Formula.

The thirdgen consoles suck, so I swapped in a 4th gen '02 TA console into my Formy as well. The later, LS1 consoles are nicer than the LT1 units...extra cupholders, slightly larger storage area, sturdier lid. Even if you have an automatic car, consider using a 6 speed 4th gen console. The automatic consoles require quite a bit of work to get them to fit the shifter. Of course, having an auto shifter handle poking through a 6 speed boot bothers some, but not me. If you do this swap, you will have a few options for what to do with window and power mirror switch selection and mounting. I mounted a set of Ford Contour window switches on a custom plate under the ashtray lid. For the mirrors, I used a 4th gen Bird unit, mounted in the small sunglass pocket at the top of the console, under the radio.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

a buddy of mine put 4th gen dash, door panels, seats, console, and radio into his 91z28. a lot of work for the dash. tons of wiring and modifying and cutting. if i remember right though, the door panels were pretty simple. 4th gen a lil shorter in height and different clips.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Bull,
Can you post a picture of the center console you installed (with the switches).
I have been thinking of doing this as well.

Thanks,

George

Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask, and ye shall receive, George:

I believe that somewhere, I have the procedure for wiring up the mirror switch and the Contour window switches, if you decide to go that route. I chose Contour swithes, because they are smaller, feel a lot nicer than the stock thirdgen junk, and as you can see from the last picture, they have green led's in them for easy nighttime visibility.

Oh, and those butt-ugly floormats were in the car when I bought it, and are now long gone!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 PM

MAN I LIKE NO I LOVE THE LOOK OF THAT CONSOLE you did an AAAAWWEESOME job I want one i might have to pick your brain somemore if ya DON'T MIND THANX Ed

Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed, thanks for the kind words.

When you get ready to do your swap, hit me up with a PM and I'll give you whatever help I can with regard to parts selection, installation, wiring etc.

Take care for now.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

I agree!
That looks great!
I have a auto fourthgen console, but I guess I need a stick one.
I do love the fourthgen stuff in the thirdgens.

George

Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, George.

The 4th gen auto console can work, and guys on TGO have done it. But, it takes a lot more work, like "adjusting" portions of the trans tunnel with a BFH, moving the shifter slightly etc. I just didn't want to put that much work into the project when I can live with a 6 speed console boot in my auto car!