Old 07-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There were times several years ago when I would pick up our oldest Granddaughter from elementary school. Frequently I would do it in my streetcar (10 second 64 GTO). For whatever reason she was embarrassed for me to pick her up in that car. She has named all of our cars, and this one she had named “the noisy car”. When she got into middle school (6th-8th grade) she discovered that boys were attracted to cars. Now she WANTED me to take her to school in the GTO, but my “engine rebuild from Hell” was underway. I was not able to take her most of the time she was in Middle School. Last year was her first year of High School. Again, no running GTO. She has instructed me that I MUST be able to transport her to or from HS in the GTO before she graduates. In the meantime, she had told many of the boys that her Grandpa has a GTO. The answer from all of them was “no way!”

Now I must digress for a second. I have not done any significant street racing for 20 years, but when I did the car was pretty well known. The stories of the car continue to this day, kind of like a bad movie. It is amazing how many people are aware of it through stories from their fathers or grandfathers. They must have related these stories to their offspring when they saw me driving around town.

Since I could not yet take her to school in the GTO, I gave her a wallet sized snapshot of the racecar, just so the boys could see one of the cars. When the boys finally took notice, their response was – “Your Grandpa is Old Man Taylor? WOW!”

Sort of a trivial story, but I still get a kick out of it. She no longer has an integrity problem with whether her Grandpa has a GTO.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 07-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There were times several years ago when I would pick up our oldest Granddaughter from elementary school. Frequently I would do it in my streetcar (10 second 64 GTO). For whatever reason she was embarrassed for me to pick her up in that car. She has named all of our cars, and this one she had named “the noisy car”. When she got into middle school (6th-8th grade) she discovered that boys were attracted to cars. Now she WANTED me to take her to school in the GTO, but my “engine rebuild from Hell” was underway. I was not able to take her most of the time she was in Middle School. Last year was her first year of High School. Again, no running GTO. She has instructed me that I MUST be able to transport her to or from HS in the GTO before she graduates. In the meantime, she had told many of the boys that her Grandpa has a GTO. The answer from all of them was “no way!”

Now I must digress for a second. I have not done any significant street racing for 20 years, but when I did the car was pretty well known. The stories of the car continue to this day, kind of like a bad movie. It is amazing how many people are aware of it through stories from their fathers or grandfathers. They must have related these stories to their offspring when they saw me driving around town.

Since I could not yet take her to school in the GTO, I gave her a wallet sized snapshot of the racecar, just so the boys could see one of the cars. When the boys finally took notice, their response was – “Your Grandpa is Old Man Taylor? WOW!”

Sort of a trivial story, but I still get a kick out of it. She no longer has an integrity problem with whether her Grandpa has a GTO.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cute story OMT. Nice to know she is proud of you isnt it.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Grandpa best be out in the shop making that GTO run, so he can take grand granddaughter to school!!! Sounds like a great youngster.

Interesting story Jim, but we want to hear the sequel.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a picture of her last year. Her hair was up because she was the Maid of Honor at our Daughter's wedding.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hurry and get it running so she can take it to the PROM At least thats what my son tells me to do with mine and no you can't drive her/him there.

Still Dreaming about muscle Cars. I hope I never wake up.
http://www.geocities.com/goglinko/gtoavatar.JPG

Old 07-18-2003, 06:40 PM

That's what we need. A new HS grad in a ten sec. street car leaving the prom with the front wheels lifted.

Great story OMT.

Dan

The DotRod rides again.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

I love this stuff! Keep the kids interested, and we'll be able to buy parts well after retirement!!!

If it has ti*s or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Keep the kids interested" - Exactly! I am the tech advisor for a San Diego High School. One of our club members donated a 67 GTO for them to race at the Street Legal races. This particular one is called Race Legal. I have helped by giving them advice, tuning the car, etc. I went to the school for some guest lectures about performance, and I showed them videos of drag racing, including my streetcar and my racecar. I tell you what, those teachers have their hands full. A couple of the students were OK, but the rest were immature a-holes - - Probably just like we were when we were kids.

Anyway, one of my lectures is that it is not NOSS or NAWS, it is nitrous, N2O or NOS. I also go through the explanation to tell them why. However, the kids will have their lingo regardless. I just want them to understand what the reaction will be from an older (more experienced) person. It has been fun especially when you can motivate someone. The main driver of the car just graduated. He bought a 63 Tempest from the same club member that donated the GTO. B/T/W, the car has gone a best of 8.74 at 80 in the eighth mile with it being pretty much stock.