Old 02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GTO accident picture thread

Let's see what happened to your GTOs along the way. These need not be "woe is me" stories, but it's interesting to see both ends of the GTO spectrum - accidents and restorations!

I'll start with the car I purchased in 1980 as my daily driver and used faithfully until I was attacked by an axe-wielding nutjob in Anoka, MN in 1986 (that's another story). Getting away from this guy, I over-revved and introduced a valve in the #8 cylinder to the piston that resided there. After this, I parked the car and began accumulating $$ to fix it yet again.

After several years of storage, I pulled the car out and was to begin the restoration of the car. It was parked in front of my parent's place, located at the mid-point of the street, one night. This, mind you, was formerly known as "the safest street on earth" by me for the following reasons:

* Dead End street
* Houses only on one side
* Directly across from the largest Catholic Church in the city
* The culdesac was occupied by two homes - one for priests, one for a local surgeon
* Next up was owned by a Service Agent
* Next to him was a Minneapolis Police officer
* Then my parent's place
* Three doors down was former FBI agent

I had God, Medical and the full spectrum of law enforcement ensuring that nothing would happen.

One night, as I sat my tush on a bed at midnight with all lights out, I heard a tremendous "explosion" with breaking glass and metallic noises. It was LOUD and it caused my heart to skip a beat or two.

The partner of the Mpls police officer next door had been gunned down approximately 6 months earlier in an ambush attack. My first thought was that the house next door had been bombed! I leapt from the bed upstairs, bounded down to the first floor and peered out of a window aside the front door. I saw no flames, but there was a strange set of dark objects in front of the house where my GTO had been parked. Cautiously, I turned on the front lights, still peering from around the corner and I was greeted by this...

The next day, it looked like this...

Notice parts of volvo next to curb behind GTO

Now here's the really interesting part - the driver of the volvo was the 16-year-old son of the Secret Service Agent who fell asleep and hit my car at about 40 MPH. And no, I could not beat him to a pulp because of what Dad might do... The GTO's front end used to be to the left of where the volvo then sat.

Now "show me yours"

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OUCH!

I had several no fault (of mine) accidents with my first Pontiac - my 77 Formula - one of them resulting in it's untimely demise. Unfortunately, no pictures of them.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1 of 1 Ram IV car hit by a motorcycle.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 69 JUDGE.bmp (193.8 KB, 254 views)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 AM

Good to see that your still kickin Don.