Old 04-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another KRE High Port Head Thread

As in Mysticmissle's thread, I am curious to hear some comments from people who have purchased completeHigh Port heads but NOT the 400cfm+ offset stuff. I know how KRE's customer service can be so don't any reviews on that but really curious on quality and workmanship because I'm trying to decide which direction I want to go in.

Looking for more opinions/results, etc with the standard head, no offset lifters or exotic shaft rockers, and if you used untouched heads or the CNC'd ones, which did you choose, what chamber cc did you use, and at what compression ratio did you end up with. The big question is did they meet your expectations, or were you disappointed.

If its easier to just PM me to limit any BS, that fine.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow this sure seems to be a touchy subject ��

Something you guys want to share?

EHTTFMF!!!

Old 04-08-2021, 07:14 PM

I have a set on a 462. I’m very happy and bought them in 2012. 56cc chamber with 350cfm option which they no longer offer. The short block was bought used with a few passes and had heavily modified WP’s that the previous owner was keeping for this aftermarket block build. The HP’s made the same power and torque at less rpm. I think for the money they are a great option with plenty of room to grow.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
As in Mysticmissle's thread, I am curious to hear some comments from people who have purchased completeHigh Port heads but NOT the 400cfm+ offset stuff. I know how KRE's customer service can be so don't any reviews on that but really curious on quality and workmanship because I'm trying to decide which direction I want to go in.

Looking for more opinions/results, etc with the standard head, no offset lifters or exotic shaft rockers, and if you used untouched heads or the CNC'd ones, which did you choose, what chamber cc did you use, and at what compression ratio did you end up with. The big question is did they meet your expectations, or were you disappointed.

Just curious here, but why not just buy them as castings and build them the way they need to be built for the application, instead of relying on "as is" advertised parts?

Unless i am missing something....

Old 04-08-2021, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance Race Engines View Post
Just curious here, but why not just buy them as castings and build them the way they need to be built for the application, instead of relying on "as is" advertised parts?

I already have a good running application that works quite well that I've been flogging on for years and its just time for a freshen and a little upgrade. Havent done a damn thing with the car since 2014 except change the oil, tires, and an anti-roll bar. I'm looking for a specific head combination to match the roller I have and plan on using, plus to compliment all the other components of not only the engine but for the car and suspension. I'm not just calling them up and telling them to send me the highest flowing head they sell, bolt them down with a RAIV cam and expect it to run 9"s.
I've been running the same flat tappet (and lifters) for 20 years and I'll probably kick myself for going to a roller because the cars current combo just works and its virtually maintenance free! I also realize I'll also need to make a head change rather its High Ports or something else. Tired of dancing on the edge of the ET break, time to go little quicker.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I believe the issue people are having with their 400+ cfm KRE ported heads is those have very tall ports and guys have trouble getting Victors to work without welding. Its a tall port to start out with. There are sets of those heads that seem to come up for sale as a "great deal". Reasons for that.

That said, this summer I will have a std port HP 461 firing up. Port openings are near stock with bowl opened up and blended 2.20 valves go 359cfm at .800. Still .350cfm where I can use it in the .700s
My heads I had sent bare to SD Performance so they did the seats and guides and the rest. 80 cc, 10.80 CR right now but will mill off a bit to get to 11.20 or so.
Victor has had plenum work, just sent 1050 carb down to get worked, 16 hole billet annular boosters installed.
A few bells and whistles, big kick out pan, V pump, ported rings with crank trigger and a sweet custom roller so I expect a good result.
I will start off with a 850 without the crank trigger and work 1050 and crank trigger in. I expect to get in the 9s and I do not want to do it right off the bat.
I will let folks know how it runs. But not dynoing this engine. Where I live its a major trip, expense and pain in the A. Drag strip and scales will be my dyno.

But you know, there are some nice std port 340-350cfm CNC programs out
there. People love the new E head with CNC chamber. And you do not have to worry about hood clearance issues with E heads like a High Port.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran SD High Ports. I liked them. Called Dave and told him I wanted to run 8.80's with minimum maintenance and no fancy stuff, he did the heads intake and cam. My combo was a 535 injected on alcohol in a #3000 race weight 67 Firebird. After all the bugs were out, it ran 8.70's all day long with a few dips in the .60's. Small shot got it to run 8.45. My build is on Gach's site under 'High Ports'. I was GTEEO over there. Flow sheets and all. Not sure if it's Taboo to post a link. … Eric.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had my 462 freshened last year at KRE. Upgraded from 290 D-ports to some 365/64cc Hi-ports and more cam. Car runs great picked up .5 and 12 MPH. Ran a best of 9.87 @ 137 at 3020lbs. Zero issues.

Last edited by Doug Hopkins; 04-09-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post

There are sets of those heads that seem to come up for sale as a "great deal". Reasons for that.

But you know, there are some nice std port 340-350cfm CNC programs out
there. People love the new E head with CNC chamber. And you do not have to worry about hood clearance issues with E heads like a High Port.
Is there a reason you aren't suggesting the 370 cfm standard pushrod location Edelbrock heads you have in the past?

Do you know of any experiences with that port design?

Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I believe the issue people are having with their 400+ cfm KRE ported heads is those have very tall ports and guys have trouble getting Victors to work without welding. Its a tall port to start out with. There are sets of those heads that seem to come up for sale as a "great deal". Reasons for that.
Not true, Victors can be port matched without issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Is there a reason you aren't suggesting the 370 cfm standard pushrod location Edelbrock heads you have in the past?

Do you know of any experiences with that port design?
??? Never had a set. Only have/had one set of E heads and you know which ones they are.
I know someone who has a pair of them, do not know if the engine is up and running yet.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Not true, Victors can be port matched without issue.
OK, so you know of the experiences the owners had with every set of them ?
If someone tells me they had trouble with gaskets sucking in on top, real thin up there I am supposed to call them a liar because you said so ?
Nah. Friendship is more important than that.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
??? Never had a set. Only have/had one set of E heads and you know which ones they are.
I know someone who has a pair of them, do not know if the engine is up and running yet.
Im referring to the 370 cfm CNC program you have recommended in the past. You seemed to have inside knowledge of how great they were. Maybe you referred to them as a "venturi port" design. Said one of your buddies made big pump gas power.... Just curious why you stopped recommending them.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The gasket sucking in at the top of the port? Sounds more like a clamping force issue than an issue with enough material on the manifold. Ive seen some pretty thin gaskets but never have an issue sucking in. I had a set of iron d-ports that the area between the 2 intake ports was very thin. But the gasket stayed in place. That's just my .02.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance Race Engines View Post

This is the best post and it's what should be done. But other option is sending current heads out to a good porter for work.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:02 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I already have a good running application that works quite well that I've been flogging on for years and its just time for a freshen and a little upgrade. Havent done a damn thing with the car since 2014 except change the oil, tires, and an anti-roll bar. I'm looking for a specific head combination to match the roller I have and plan on using, plus to compliment all the other components of not only the engine but for the car and suspension. I'm not just calling them up and telling them to send me the highest flowing head they sell, bolt them down with a RAIV cam and expect it to run 9"s.
I've been running the same flat tappet (and lifters) for 20 years and I'll probably kick myself for going to a roller because the cars current combo just works and its virtually maintenance free! I also realize I'll also need to make a head change rather its High Ports or something else. Tired of dancing on the edge of the ET break, time to go little quicker.
You choose valve springs for a camshaft. You don't choose a head for one. Heads ahould be built specifically for your ENTIRE combination. "Universal" one size fits all heads are not guaranteed to work since they act differently on everything they are bolted to., regardless of rated cfm. All i was saying.