Old 11-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Suspended

Default burnt cars

Hello old friends. My son burnt down my large garage in Denver screwing around with ether and a motorcycle. I lost 50 years worth of cars and bikes and tools and all of my favorite, precious things. Lots of trauma for sure. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of this stuff. I have a 1965 Catalina 2+2 new rebuilt original 421 standard bore before I rebuilt it. Tranny, rear end rebuilt, every little thing perfect before it burnt. 8 lug wheels. 69 disc brake conversion up front which is impossible for most anyone to figure out how to pull off. Same thing on my 66 2-door bonneville with the eight lug disc brake conversion package. 428 motor from 1968, all newly rebuilt, everything was perfect. My 1969 Bonneville two-door at original 428, newly rebuilt and tranny and every other little thing. I have a couple 400 motors from 1969 I believe, and a couple 428 Motors, one a short block with a crank, as well as a 69 Sprint motor with the crank. There are 10 sets of heads, 92 cc heads the 4X, a bunch of 62 and 16 heads. Assorted other things including the very rare 1969 disc brake rotors, quite a few of them. I have one set of spindles for the 69 brake conversion. A bunch of other stuff including hoods and bumpers, etc. I probably lost at least 150,000 because the s*** was not insured. So I just need to get this stuff out of my property and I'm moving on with my life. I'm getting old and living mostly in mexico. I don't think I have the energy to Dicker and nickel and dime each one of these things separately and figure out all of that complexity. I am flying up there for a week on thanksgiving. What would be a miracle as if I could sell all of this stuff to one person. I was working with Frank's Pontiac junkyard in California but that fell through. We didn't get along very good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. Dave

Old 11-18-2022, 11:51 AM
Suspended

I pulled everything out of the garage and had it demolished. The cars have tires and ready to load.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, what a tough story, Dave. Really sorry to hear, and I am sure your son is not too happy about this situation either. Things are things, and luckily it sounds like nobody got hurt.

Just pulling out the detail that the cars and your shop are in Denver CO? It's kind of buried in your first post.

Have you reached out to Steve Barcak in AZ? It's going to be tough to recover much from the way you describe the situation. All that has value is the core hard parts. Sheetmetal damage from heat might make the body work infeasible to re-use.

Sorry, I am across the country from you or I would offer to help at least get some pictures up.

Best of luck and better days are ahead. Be thankful for what was not lost.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 11-29-2022, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post Burnt cars

Dave,
Sorry to read about your garage fire.
I am sure you will be able to get past this, but I know from experience the memories will always stay with you.
I lost 7 cars and trucks because of superstorm Sandy.
Pretty much the same deal, no flood insurance on the vehicles.
We had 5 1/2 feet of water in my shop, and the cars I didn't have a chance to relocate before Sandy hit were turned into scrap metal.
Plus all my shop equipment and parts inventory was destroyed.
I guess I had always looked at my classic cars as my favorite adult toys, but when you stop and think about it, it's just STUFF!
Nobody got hurt, which is the main priority, but at 10+ years later, it still hurts.
Prayers for you Dave, you will get through this.
Ron Bolanowski

Semper Fi