THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Big Brother is Watching You

At first we thought coincidence, but three times now in the past few months we have suspicions that our conversations are being overheard if you cell phone is on and within ear-shot.

We already know that they can track your movements if you have it with you and it is on, but now overhearing our conversations.

Just a heads-up, the first two times it happened I raised an eyebrow, then yesterday it happened again for the third time.

So far they as just hitting my inbox and home page with adware, but for sure the ads that have showed up were directly related to conversations we had and not from any on-line searches, etc.....FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is your Siri on voice command if it is turn it off so you have to push the button to activate it. My daughter has her house on voice command I hate it, how have I turned lights on and set oven timer all these years without it.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have noticed that as well.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Thanks to the Mod Gods for opening this thread back up.

Back on topic...…….

I have said for years now that our phones hear everything we say as well as coordinate with our home computers.

My wife thought I was nutz! Until she realized that one day when we talked about buying something while we were having dinner, the next day she was getting ads on her phone for buying that product.

Total B.S. as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"To be fair, the likelihood of audio files of every conversation you have being transmitted and transcribed in full and then analyzed by an actual person is low. However, there are plenty of ways for algorithms and artificial intelligence to “listen” to you — and then use that data to target ads to you. While we’re aware of popular audio triggers like “Hey Siri” or “Alexa”, these sites and apps may also have hundreds or thousands of their own triggers used to store data points when you say what you like and where you go."

Of Course Your Phone Is Listening To You

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanp...tening-to-you/

One of many similar articles.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 02-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The thing that baffles me is why people put “smart speakers” in their house. Do you think they only listen when you say their name? No, everything you say is processed. And kept forever.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:20 AM
Suspended

I watched a news story that showed how stores like Target, Kohl's and WalMart use your phone and its GPS to track you while you are in the store and will use text messages to tell you what to buy. Likewise, while you are in one of the stores, another competitor store will text you messages showing that they have a better price on that item in your cart.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As a kid I remember watching the first (1956) version of the movie 1984. The thought of the telescreens everywhere really alarmed and left an impression on me. Orwell envisioned them being forced on us. I never expected then that we would some day unknowingly or willingly end up put them in our homes, on our front doors, in our vehicles and carry them around with us.

Much of my education and career were in technology yet, personally we don't have any smart speakers, cameras, etc. enabled in our life. To use any video teleconference I have to turn on and uncover the camera and microphone in the computers. Our cellphone is a basic (non-smartphone and non-GPS) and stays off unless we are away from our landline and are expecting a call. I even completely disabled the GM Onstar immediately after an intrusive event occurred where they muted our radio and started talking about their service, interrupting my wife and my conversation.

Last edited by JimFB400HO; 02-06-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I watched a news story that showed how stores like Target, Kohl's and WalMart use your phone and its GPS to track you while you are in the store and will use text messages to tell you what to buy. Likewise, while you are in one of the stores, another competitor store will text you messages showing that they have a better price on that item in your cart.
IoT - Internet of Things.

A flip-phone still meets my needs.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned it has happened three times recently.

Each time the topic was discussed the previous day, then the very next morning adds show up or a email DIRECTLY related to the topic with those items for sale by a vendor or multiple vendors.

Not once did any of us "google" any of the topics we were talking about.

Pretty harmless at a glance, they must just key in on or use certain words and go thru your Icloud, email, phone number etc to put adds up there.

The very first time it happened we were discussing battery powered grease guns, and how handy they were compared to manual or air driven units. The very next morning my friend John who we were discussing the them with gets slammed with adds and options to purchase them on the right side of his home page MSNBC.

Couple of weeks later right before the holidays we are discussing turkey frying oil, and SOB the very next morning on the right side of my homepage (same one) there are 3 adds from different vendors for turkey fryer oil.

So, here's the best one. Just a few days ago Deb and I are on our way back from buying a new puppy and she asked me what we were going to feed it when we got home. I just said we'll give him some regular dog food tonight then pick up some puppy food tomorrow. She said that the puppy should NOT have regular dog food, so we stopped and picked up some puppy food on the way home, no big deal.

Well low and behold the very next morning when I opened my inbox there is an email from K-9 Cuisine. In big bold letters across the top of the add it says that PUPPIES SHOULD ONLY HAVE PUPPY FOOD......then it lists some reasons why with options they have to purchase it.

That was a slam-dunk for me, difficult if not ear impossible to explain that one as a coincidence.......someone had to be listening to use, probably thru Seri as mentioned above.......FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-06-2021, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You'd be amazed at what factory installed apps are running when you first get a phone. Every year they get more and more intrusive. Most of them can be tuned off, but you cant delete them unless you root the system and get rid of that junk permanently.

I do that with every phone and computer I have. Any and all major tech companies can get bent.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-06-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smart TVs are no safer. And don’t think your phone has to be on, or GPS enabled for you to be tracked.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It just goes to show that it's so common now,

they don't care if you realize they'er listening.

Frank

Old 02-06-2021, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Example

What did AI hear?

"I would like to try and go fishing it just depends on the weather."

Three days later got a sample box of adult diapers from Kimberly-Clark.

Clay

Old 02-06-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My cell phone is too old & dumb to do anything smart -
and i like it like that !

My service provider was sending 2-3 texts per week telling me my phone was now incompatible and i would soon lose service with it.
It was claiming about 5G being necessary yada yada.
I HAD TO HAVE A NEW(er) COMPATIBLE PHONE

That went on for over 6 months.
They finally gave up on me
Phone/Service still works

and my Windows XP Laptop still cruises through the internet

Old 02-06-2021, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no doubt they are listening to us, so I make sure I don't threaten to kill anyone, especially if my cell phone is close by, but I talk bad about EVERYONE so if you're feelings are easily hurt and you heard the information came from me........it's probably true!....LOL

Old 02-06-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They want to sell you stuff and want you to buy it. That's the name of the game.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:51 PM
Senior Chief

Yep it has happened a lot more .... I saw this on Netflix... very crazy stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaC57tcci0

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve been there.....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=842540

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you guys use FB on your phone?
What's with the 'home page'?
Like in a browser? On your phone?
What email? Gmail?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates