Old 10-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rally Gauge yellow needles?

Hi all, I’m think about putting the Ames Rally Gauge kit in my wife’s 65. In the description it says the needles are yellow. What sort of paint would I need to use on the speedo needle to match. I don’t see any listed on Ames.
Is there a supplier for replacement speedo needles, if I would happen to screw it up?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the newer Rally kit from Ames? It is my understanding that it is better quality than the older ones.

Thanks
Murf

Old 10-26-2021, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the modern imported reproduction rally gauges for 65, 66 and 67: The only pointer that is painted (in error) the wrong color is the fuel gauge pointer. This can be corrected with some paint you can buy at any hobby store. The color you need is made by Testors; their Brand: Model master paint: Fluorescent Red/orange. # FS-28915.

There is a real problem in that the "new" gauges do not come with a speedometer, except for the face, the circle part. Trying to recycle a 55 year old cable driven speedometer into a brand new set of gauges is a dream that will not happen. Any speedometer out of any 1960s GM car is bound to have over 100,000 miles on it and given the passage of 50+ years on top of that, is a long as it was ever designed to last. 50 year old cable driven car speedometers all have the same issues: they will have several well-worn and/or broken, weathered parts. Guaranteed all of the original factory oil is now completely evaporated. Running one of those bone "dry" is a good way to break it in less than 15 or 20 miles. Any 50+ year old car speedometer should be serviced (rebuilt), with at least a new Oilite bushing, a new magnet and shaft assy., and 2 new thrust washers. New (2) gears for the odometer> most often the numbers on the odometer wheel(s) are sun faded and have turned either yellow or tan.

Those numbers cannot be cleaned, you will rub off the paint.

One thing that really detracts from the new appearance are the 2 screws that hold the circle of the speedometer in-place. I have never seen any of those original GM screws that are not covered in rust. Those 2 screws are visible once the gauges are in the dash, those need sanded, cleaned then re-painted. Often they are so damaged that your only option is to replace them. The color of those 2 screws should be semi-flat or flat black.

After all of the repairs a rebuilt speedometer needs tested and calibrated so that your cars gauges will all work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373475017528

Last edited by Peter Serio; 10-26-2021 at 07:23 PM.