67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-10-2001, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this answer was posted before and of course I saved the reply for future referance in a folder for safe keeping but now I cannot locate it. Here goes...
I am installing the rally guages in my 69 TA but have a standard non-guage harness. I believe in order to make this work with the guages you swap the #5 wire with the #7 wire on the rear plug that connects to the guage cluster. Is this correct? Thanks in advance, Steve

Old 04-10-2001, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this answer was posted before and of course I saved the reply for future referance in a folder for safe keeping but now I cannot locate it. Here goes...
I am installing the rally guages in my 69 TA but have a standard non-guage harness. I believe in order to make this work with the guages you swap the #5 wire with the #7 wire on the rear plug that connects to the guage cluster. Is this correct? Thanks in advance, Steve

Old 04-10-2001, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Steve, those are the two connectors to swap around. To see archived posts, just click on "show all topics" when clicking into this "1967-69 Firebird & Trans Am TECH" catagory.

[This message has been edited by Held for Ransom (edited 04-10-2001).]

Old 04-11-2001, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks HfR. I did that the first try but did not see the multiple pages on the listing. Thanks again. -S

Old 04-25-2001, 03:46 PM

I am installing a stacked gage set up, with tach, in a 69 convertible. Will the same switch of wires as described for the Rally gages with a standard wiring harness work for me or do I have other modifications to make?

Thanks a lot

Old 04-26-2001, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That uses a different wiring setup. This is only for the guage cluster fuel/oil/temp on left side of speedo. I'll check my books later for that wiring option and schematic. -S

Old 04-26-2001, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, Steve. My 69 shop manual does not even acknowledge this gage set so I am really in the dark. I thought that perhaps as the same gages are in the stack as the rally (fuel/oil/temp), that GM would have made the wiring consistent, but I hesitate to follow that course without some better info.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Buck

Old 04-27-2001, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bucko, bad news, it is not a wiring harness that interfaces with the stack guages but part of the printed circuit board extending from the dash cluster. I found this in the assy manual. It will be hard to hook the guages up without that special circuit board. I do not know if they repro it. You may be able to solder some type of wiring harness to it but it would be tough. Let me know if I can assist. -S

Old 04-27-2001, 08:32 AM

Steve: Fortunately, I have the pc board. Guess my best bet is to run some continuity checks through the board and back to the senders to see if the board conector and all the pins through the firewall are corectly matched. I understand that for the rally gages you have to switch two pins and thought maybe a similar switch here may be needed. Little gun shy and don't want to blow the damned things up with an incorrect signal.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 04-27-2001, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bucko, as in the other reply, there is a guy in MN who did this kind of thing. I will ask him the questions and reply here. Mike.

Old 04-30-2001, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You switch the #5 with the #7 wire. The tan with the brown. I believe this is the oil pressure and engine temperature wires.

Old 04-30-2001, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You switch the #5 with the #7 wire. The tan with the brown. I believe this is the oil pressure and engine temperature wires. Email me if you need info on how to release the connectors from the connector.