67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-13-2001, 05:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 68 FB project is moving along pretty well. I spend some time every evening doing something to make the car better. It's slow, but I am enjoying it.

The car has the factory 256 one sided gears in it and although I still get around pretty well even with the tired old 350, I had a chance to buy a NOS carrier for it @ $100.00 so I bought it. However now, I found out I need to get different gears for the car such as 308, 355, 410 bla, bla, bla. Well, I found out I can't just go down to my local Napa and buy a set. Richmond sells the 355, 410, and 456 for the car, but they are not what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where I can buy some 308 or 323 gears ?? I just hope that when I get it apart the axles are still good. Been there and done that with another 68 FB, and again not an easy item to find. Thanks again, and good day my friends.

Mike

------------------
"Michael"
It's more than just a name. It's a way of life

Old 04-13-2001, 05:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 68 FB project is moving along pretty well. I spend some time every evening doing something to make the car better. It's slow, but I am enjoying it.

The car has the factory 256 one sided gears in it and although I still get around pretty well even with the tired old 350, I had a chance to buy a NOS carrier for it @ $100.00 so I bought it. However now, I found out I need to get different gears for the car such as 308, 355, 410 bla, bla, bla. Well, I found out I can't just go down to my local Napa and buy a set. Richmond sells the 355, 410, and 456 for the car, but they are not what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where I can buy some 308 or 323 gears ?? I just hope that when I get it apart the axles are still good. Been there and done that with another 68 FB, and again not an easy item to find. Thanks again, and good day my friends.

Mike

------------------
"Michael"
It's more than just a name. It's a way of life

Old 04-13-2001, 08:47 AM
On Vacation

If you want to go the used route, look in boneyards at 6-cyl powered Pontiacs or other GM's from '68-'72, they often had lower gear ratios to make up for the lower engine torque. Also, A/C equipped and stick shift cars with V-8 had 3.23's in them, I came across 2 in the past. But, what's wrong with an aftermarket 3.55 ??

Old 04-13-2001, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zedo

Thank you very much for the information. It's something I will start looking for next week. To answer your question about why I don't want to go the 355:1 route. You see, Every day I make a round trip from my home in Oregon across the river to Washington. It's about an 80 mile round trip. I installed some 342:1 gears in a Hot Rod pick up I own, and I can't go much faster than 65 without winding the engine up to the point it kills me in fuel. I like to make the trip driving about 70 to 75, and because the FB has a 2 bbl 350 in it, I worry about killing the engine before I have the 400 ready to install. That being said, two other factors figure into it as well. One, is that I own a brand new Ford explorer which I could use for my driver. But because this car is the only Pontiac I own that is in bad enough condition yet that I really don't care if the trunk gets wet when it rains (because it's full of holes and drain right out) or someone dings the body in a parking lot. To be honest with you I drive the car pretty hard, and even with the 256 gears it gets up and goes. But at the same time I can drive up to 80, and it just purrs right along. You have a good point though because once the car is done I'll want more gears in it because I will be taking it to the track every other weekend, and this way I will have all new parts and not have to change again. I will have to rethink this before I make my mind up. Gee, and I was ready to try my first gear swap. The best thing would be for me to find another rear end, rebuild it and just leave the one I have in the car for now.

Do you know how hard it is to use a later rear end in the 68 ?? I know many are using a Chevy 12 bolt, which are easy to fine in my area. As are the Ford 9". That would be hard using a Ford though. The Chevy I could swallow, but Ford would be another matter for me. Thanks again, and good day my friend. Thanks for your help. I will use what you've taught me. < Mike >

Old 04-13-2001, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got in a trailer load of 8.2 Buick-Pontiac A-body & G-Body rearends. Many were out of no A/C LeMans & Skylarks, GS's, etc. All have been setting in cars for 20-25 years, so hard to say if water has got into the housings & rusted & pitted any gears until I disassemble them. Most did have axles & the 3.55's are spoken for. Might shoot me an e-mail next week, as the airtools will be singing.