THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Defibrillator Implant

Has anyone had one. My heart is only pumping at 25% (ejection fraction) which is a little less than half of the normal rate of 55%. My Cardiologist has set me up with an appointment with a Electro Physiologist who will probably start the work up for an implant. I’m looking for comments from those that have one.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

I had one implanted almost 2 years ago. It is an easy procedure. Once you are past the recovery period ( 2 days hospital- then slow & easy at home for a week, if I remember correctly) every thing will be back to normal daily routine.

Mine is a combination of a pacemaker and defibrillator, have had no issues/no shocks. I was 71 years old when implanted.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My uncle had one for years. It extended his life expectancy by nearly 15 years.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have one. A quick procedure. Just follow instructions from your Dr.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Tiger- sorry to hear of your condition- I assume it's non-ischemic cardiomyopathy? I will send you a PM to go over the finer details.. Think of it as a "guardian angel".

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one, full recovery took about 2 months. I have ventricular tachycardia with 40% ejection fraction and a 35 bpm resting heart rate (someday i will have mine replaced with a pacemaker and defibulator) I'm 40yrs old and hoping for a successfuly ablation one day. I have been shocked a couple times and it doesn't really hurt per say, but it's not the most comfortable thing either. Anxiety of the shock is worste then the shock itself. we're lucky to have this tech. I probably wouldn't be here today with out it. The only other thing i would say is after having it implanted, you'll need to be a little more careful about your surroundings. tuning your car is a little harder understanding you can't go near the HEI or Alternator while the car is running.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a pacemaker/defibrillator for 11 years. Had one a year after a valve was fixed during double bypass 12 years ago. Have had it 12 years. Done in the am and went home in the pm. Back at work a week or so later. No problems. I had a fib due to the valve surgery. Gone off twice. Nothing for about 9 years. Replacing next January. Battery going bad. They said am surgery go home 4 hours later.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

I had the defibrillator/pacemaker implant done Friday, was back home Saturday. Everything has gone as well as can be expected. My procedure was a little tricky because I’m on Coumadin due to an artificial Aorta heart valve. The Doctor didn’t want to transition me with Lovenox for fear of bleeding, so we had to keep my INR right a the lowest part of the danger zone which was tricky.
Right now the hard part is no driving and being limited in what I can do for two weeks.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

Hang in there tiger. I’m cheering you on.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by promptcritical View Post
Thank You, it’s all going well, except for being bored out of my mind for two weeks.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Glad it went well!

Remember to read your book, laminate your temporary wallet card (and make a few copies of it), finish your antibiotic script, do NOT lift your arm over your head/ left anything heavy with your (left?) arm for a MONTH, and if they used dermabond to close the site, do not get it wet/ pick at it. Otherwise, you're good to go! Yearly check up and first battery change in 10-13 years

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This whole heart craziness has been a wild ride. It’s good to hear others with success. I’m going for an ablation attempt July 2nd. I have high hopes.

Hang in there, took me a little longer then 2wks to fully recover, but now I almost don’t even know it’s there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ablation worked well for my girlfriend. It took two attempts for another friend but is now fine. Best of luck.