Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-11-2023, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are funny.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-11-2023, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tuned View Post
Those are down the hill behind the shop….

He’s filling in the low spot I heard.
I'm guessing gravel would be cheaper, and easier to get...........LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-13-2023, 12:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For me, Cliff is up there with other "big" Pontiac guys. Some of the big Pontiac guys when I was growing up were
HO Racing (Craig Hendrickson, Kern Osterstock, Ken Crocie), Nunzi, Pete McCarthy...and then Jim Hand...and then
Cliff Ruggles and Rocky Rotella. I think one key in all these guys - they shared their knowledge. Oh crap, I likely should not have used a list as I know there is many guys I have missed. But. these guys helped me a lot in the past and still help me today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pippintook For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just yesterday, about this time I talked to Cliff and ordered kits and a few Msc. parts for 2 Q-jets. Almost exactly 24 hours later, the parts are sitting on my porch!! Incredible fast service especially during the holiday rush, I know Cliff doesn't have any direct impact on actual shipping times and delivery, but it does mean when I hung up the phone he must have immediately put the kits together and had them in the mail in a matter of a couple hours. Just damn impressive. Not to mention he is an encyclopedia of carburetor and general automotive knowledge. Why would anyone want to buy parts like these from a parts store where there likely there isn't a single person working who even knows what a carburetor is? Kits are super nice and complete BTW. Thanks Cliff.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad and fortunate to have known some of them. Helped me.Growing up in Latrobe back in 60s nobody tuned and raced Pontiacs that would give you/me help.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the kind words!

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-18-2023, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

Same experience here, any parts I order - arrive very quickly and are the best you can get. With the magic drill bit, some bushings and tiny screws, every Qjet I touch doesn't have a throttle shaft leak. The accel pumps are wonderful.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 12-18-2023, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff’s willingness to share knowledge is an asset to this hobby - I’ve also learned a couple of his phrases -

“Not worth two squirts of duck poop” and “like crows picking corn out of manure”

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
The Following User Says Thank You to grivera For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Not worth two squirts of duck poop" and "like black birds picking corn out of cow chit".

Rest assured there are PLENTY of parts these days being sold and used that fall under the first statement, and even a few of my "followers" who quality for statement # 2 putting EVERYTHING I post under a microscope hoping to find a flaw in my armor.

Reminds me of just a few years back where one person in particular followed me around reading every single comment I made, and Googled to the brink of extinction to find someone living or dead, didn't matter, who completely disagreed with what I posted. Those were some UGLY days on here for sure.

Being retired at this point, having bad cases of CRS and even worse cases of DGS life is GOOD no matter what happens on these Forums, or anywhere else for that matter.....

Old 12-18-2023, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Haha - thanks for the correction!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 12-19-2023, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem......

Old 12-19-2023, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"Not worth two squirts of duck poop" and "like black birds picking corn out of cow chit".

Rest assured there are PLENTY of parts these days being sold and used that fall under the first statement, and even a few of my "followers" who quality for statement # 2 putting EVERYTHING I post under a microscope hoping to find a flaw in my armor.

Reminds me of just a few years back where one person in particular followed me around reading every single comment I made, and Googled to the brink of extinction to find someone living or dead, didn't matter, who completely disagreed with what I posted. Those were some UGLY days on here for sure.

Being retired at this point, having bad cases of CRS and even worse cases of DGS life is GOOD no matter what happens on these Forums, or anywhere else for that matter.....
Boy that sounds familiar, it’s really called jealousy. Or they have chit going on in their life and it just makes them feel better.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I remember the donut hole...everyone else was sick of him as Cliff was. Then HE had someone shadowing his lines of BS for a while. Forgotten name of that goober....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-20-2023, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't really matter. Good news is that we've moved on to better times.

What I've found over the years, and not just on this Forum is that there are ALWAYS folks who like to take a shot at the title. I earned my stripes the old fashioned way, by getting dirty and doing stuff. This includes nearly half a Century of tuning these engines, building carbs, distributors, countless hours of street, dyno and drag strip testing, etc. It is NOT possible to figure all these things out with Goggle. You can't even "cut ot the chase" as too much mis-information exists on the NET.

What you are going to find with any particular subject you are trying to educate yourself on that there will be a considerable amount of conflicting information. I also see a LOT of old/outdated information showing up, inaccurate, obsolete and really wasn't good info WAY back in the day.

Take timing curves for example. To this day there are a LOT of folks out there that still try to get ALL the timing in right off idle with these engines, then disable or eliminate the Vacuum Advance. Somehow they beleive that a quicker timing curve provides the engine with optimum timing clear across the load/speed range and VA isn't needed. Nothing could be further from the truth as you are still MISSING at least 10-15 degrees timing at light engine load. The "optimum" timing for a well thought out street or street/strip engine is around 42-48 degrees at cruising speed and light load. Without those numbers you are NOT going to acheive complete combustion efficiency nor will you be able to effectively burn a lean mixture for optimum throttle response, power at light engine load, fuel economy, etc.

Doesn't mean the engine woln't run OK, you're just are going to have to put more fuel thru it to avoid negatives like surging, flat on accelleration, hesitation, stumble, bog, etc coming off idle and clean operation in the "normal" driving range.

I've fought the fight on using VA more times than I can count, and to this day most folks who post information about it get it wrong as they just don't understand it it in the first place, or regurgitating information they found someplace on the NET, heard from their beer drinking buddy's, some local "guru" who needs keep their day job, the wife's boyfriend, or combinations of all of the above. Then there's an entire "crowd" who don't know how to apply it and have had negative results to just went back to running pig rich carbs and throwing ALL the timing at the engine as quickly as they can.

There are at least a dozen other topics sporting inaccurate info on the Boards. So how does someone who wants to learn sort out the good, from the bad and the ugly? NOT an easy thing to do and I for one am tired of fighting any of these battles, there are just a lot better things I can do with my time, like go fishing with the grand kids or throw sticks for my dogs!........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5273.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	625316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	625317  

Last edited by Cliff R; 12-20-2023 at 07:57 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

God that’s sooooo spot on !! The google and internet experts.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:10 PM

Thanks Cliff for being honest in a world where its hard to come by.
Proud to say the only schtuff I regurgitate when it comes these subjects is yours.
Good knowing a guy can pass on info that has helped/taught a few.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff…. Always explaining things with such clarity.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at the "Co-Vention" in '09 (I think) and had a chance to hear Cliff give a talk on the Quadrajet...Unfortunately we missed it and I've been sorry ever since. I wasn't a member here at the time and didn't know of Cliffs extremely broad knowledge base regarding these carbs specifically and our cars in general. When I say "in general" I mean he has way more knowledge than most of the so called internet "gurus". If I see a post involving Cliff I usually read it because I know I'll probably learn something. I've been into these Pontiacs since 1980 and I know he's probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn about these cars.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had Cliff rebuild my QJet 4-5 years ago....still performing like a Swiss watch. I’ve never had a Qjet run like this in my life. So glad I found him on this site.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't run a Q-jet.... but I did stay ay Cliff's home when I took my car to Norwalk years ago. Great hospitality.

He also does a great job at growing and canning tomatoes

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE