Old 08-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone have any information on what models and years that this engine was offered? I believe it was only 61-62? Any information on parts / rebuild?

Old 08-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone have any information on what models and years that this engine was offered? I believe it was only 61-62? Any information on parts / rebuild?

Old 08-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes 61-62,basic same motor as the early 60s buick special and old F85.I believe same as the Rover alu. V8.Tom

Old 08-27-2002, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not offered in 63 when it was replaced as an optional V8 by the 336 ( ooops! 326) engine. This aluminum engine became the Land Rover engine and I believe it "evolved" into a racing engine for Formula/Indy type cars. I have a friend who recently did a little "against the grain" deal by putting a 62 aluminum V8 in his 4 cyl 63 Tempest. I think it bolted right up to the 4 cyl (automatic) drivetrain.

The 326 1963 engine was actually 336ci. It is unlike (bore) any other year 326 engine. I've read that the 336ci was contrary to GM's ban on racing edict ( larger than 327ci)but they already had the engines geared up for 63 so they just called it a 326.

Old 08-28-2002, 09:16 AM

I once owned a 1963 Oldsmobile F85. It had an aluminum 8-cylinder 215cu.in. motor in it. I bought the car for $400.00 bucks in 1981 and used it for two winters as a beater and later sold it to a gentlemen from Canada for $500.00. He said he was putting the motor in his boat. Back then I guess it was the motor to use because of its lite weight. Also I'm now remembering that Hot Rod magazine did a review on the 215 in the 1983 April issue. I'll check my old magazines tonight.

[ August 28, 2002, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: BALOOGABILL ]

Old 08-28-2002, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

I helped a friend put one of these in a Dune Buggy. That thing would fly. Then in the winter we built a dual track snowmobile and set the 215 between the tracks. Complete different animal to drive.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 08-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

The aluminum 215" engine was an option in the 61+62 Tempest. The engine was made by Buick and had the vertical valve covers. Olds made their own cylinder heads on this engine. The engine made 155hp with a single 2-bl,this was the only version offered in the Tempest. Very few were sold as there was more profit in a Tempest with a 4cyl Pontiac engine than one bought from Buick.
They only weigh 300# and are a great little engine. Parts and adapters and complete engines are available from D+D Fabrications 810-797-2491.
Call and they will send you a very usefull catalog

Old 09-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

The 215 Buick engine or Rover 3.5 litre as it's known over here ,can be made to perform very well. There are stroker cranks and overbored blocks available to take it out to 5 litres,a friend of mine runs a 3.9 version with a 4.71 on it in his 3800lbs van and it has run a 13.03 at 101 mph. There are also a few pro racers running them into the 8 second zone with a sniff of nitrous. I believe Chevy 305 pistons will fit and ARP make all the usual hi po studs/bolts etc. A lot of the rods over here use this engine because of it's light weight ,it's about the same weight as a Ford 2 litre pinto unit. Oops,sorry, I got carried away then,I forgot this is a Pontiac site!

Old 09-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

Not worry, I always wanted to puyt one of these in my MGB. They used to be hard to find, now there popping up all over.

Old 09-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked for a '61 or '62 Tempest with this engine for years. Thought it would be fun to install the factory turbo from a '62 Olds Jetfire, design a new decal for the air cleaner (maybe Tempest Twister???); take the car to Pontiac convention, open the hood, and walk away. Think it would have generated some interesting conversations.

Never did find the car, and now have too many projects. Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dryseals:
I always wanted to put one of these in my MGB.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dryseals, I worked at a British garage for years. The owner made an MGB stretch limo and I did most of the work installing the 215 and a slim-jim transmission. If you'd like more info on the MGB 215 V8 conversion, please email me. It isn't that hard.

Jim

Old 09-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those alloy V8's were also used in the Australian designed P76 cars. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Probably NO-ONE over there has ever heard of these cars. Back in the 60's BMC (British Motor Company) was a strong seller here. They made the Mini, Morris 1100 & 1500 & Austin 1800. All British designed cars. The Austin 1800 evolved into the Austin Tasman (4cyl) and the Austin Kimberly (6cyl). All East/West engines.

Leyland - as BMC was then known around 1975 made a very bold move to develop an all Australian vehicle to compete head on with the Holden, Ford Falcon and Chyrsler Valiant. They designed the Leyland P76 which was a conventional design ie, in-line front engine, Borg Warner trans and live axle rear diff.

BIG BIG car!!!!HUGE HUGE trunk!!! But rushed onto the market and dreadful (British inheritance) build quality. It failed to a point that would rival the Edsel.

The V8's were the old Buick inspired Alloy engines.

Of course like everything, if you have an original P76 these days you have a very desirable classic car. Especially if its a "Targa Florio".

The Targa Florio's were as the result (I think) of some endurance race back in the dim dark past at the Targa Florio track in Italy where it beat all commers. A special release trim pack was the result.

The very most desirable (if you are so inclined) is the Force 7, a coupe version. I think only 7 were ever built before the whole project hit the wall.

If any one is interested, here's some links to see what these land monsters looked like..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=P76+Australia&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.webtrade.com.au/p76/contents.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=P76+Australia&btnG=Google+Search

[ September 13, 2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Heybuck ]

Old 09-13-2002, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I started this post, I was fishing for idea's. I have a 62 buick 215. I want to install it in my 62 conv tempest. Anyone have any idea's on what types of problems I will run into?

Old 09-15-2002, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

In 1962 Olds put a turbocharger on this engine it made 215 hp. pushing air through a big single bbl. carb. But they scrapped the engine in 1964 when larger displacement engines took over. In 1964 Buick cast the iron block 300, it shares the same bore spacing as the 215. The heads for the 300 were aluminum with larger ports and valves and bolt up to the 215 blocks. After '64 GM gave up to the engine and sold it to the British Leyland Company which built Rovers, Jaguars and Triumphs at the time. You can find more info on this engine at www.442.com

Old 10-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

jusjay - as the engine could be ordered as original equipment in the 1962 Tempest, the Pontiac Master Parts Book will have most of your answers. Obtain a parts book from about 1963 or 1964, and check radiator, engine mounts, transmission mounts, transmission linkage, etc. by part number and compare to the part numbers for the engine/transmission you currently have in the car.

As I stated in an earlier post, would have delighted in this project myself a few years ago.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:21 PM

Just my 2 cents worth, I had a chance last summer while junkyarding in NC to compare both a 215 powered 62 tempest to several 61-61 4 cylinder cars. the same yard also had several 61-63 specials & f-85's.
And I found to my suprise that the 215 powered cars used a totaly different engine cradle, that appeared to be the same for all 3 brands. And the steering gear was totaly diffrent also, the 4 cylinder cars were rear steer & the 215 cars were front steer. (or vise versa I did not take any pic's though sorry) but I do have the address of the yard if any one is interested.
It looked like a major progect to convert a 4 cylinder car correctly.
It is nice to see some interest in these cars though.

Old 10-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

CammerJeff, Interesting info. I ran up on a 63 Skylark type with a 215 V8 in a yard last week. It had been robbed of top end stuff. I would be interested in the address of the NC yard so please send me the address.

Do you happen to know:

Does the Skylark use the 4 1/2" lug bolt pattern like the Tempests?

Does the Skylark have bigger front brakes than the Tempests?

Does the Skylark motor crossmember come out by unbolting like the Tempest and is most of the Skylark suspension mounted to the crossmember like Tempest?

An acquaintance of mine recently put a 215 V8 in his original 4 cylinder 63 Tempest ( automatic). I never did ask him about it but my impression is that it was sort of a drop-in deal. Since the rear suspension of the 62 Tempest is somewhat different from the 63's ( and the 63's didn't have the 215 V8 as an option) I assume he used his original 63 drivetrain with the transplanted 215.

Thanks for any info you can send.

P.S. The Skylark car I saw was a 2 dr hardtop. I've always contemplated changing a 63 Lemans
(which never came as a 2 dr hardtop) into a 2 dr hardtop using body/window parts off either a 63 Skylark car or a 63 Cutlass type. I have read about people making these changes but I have never seen one. Don't know if I ever saw a picture of one either. I'm dickering for that Skylark body just in case someday I might want to tackle it.

Old 01-21-2003, 06:30 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Not offered in 63 when it was replaced as an optional V8 by the 336 ( ooops! 326) engine. This aluminum engine became the Land Rover engine and I believe it "evolved" into a racing engine for Formula/Indy type cars. I have a friend who recently did a little "against the grain" deal by putting a 62 aluminum V8 in his 4 cyl 63 Tempest. I think it bolted right up to the 4 cyl (automatic) drivetrain.

The 326 1963 engine was actually 336ci. It is unlike (bore) any other year 326 engine. I've read that the 336ci was contrary to GM's ban on racing edict ( larger than 327ci)but they already had the engines geared up for 63 so they just called it a 326.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe the "racing ban" was the reason.
Pontiac developed the 336 prior to finding out about the GM edict that no small cars could have an engine larger than the 327 Vette. It was probably an honest mistake, and Corporation let them run it thru the 63 model year. About the only literature which gave it away was the shop manual which quoted the bore and stroke, but not the displacement. If you did the math, you got 336. For '64 they debored it to 326.

The 4-bbl, dual exhaust "326 HO" for '63 was pretty quick in the fairly light '63 car.

You are correct on the 215. It was a Buick, and in '62 was offered with a Rochester 4-bbl, rated at 185 gross hp, I think. It was about a $200 option, and I believe available with the 4-speed manual. It bolted right into any '61-'62 Tempest.

By '62, Pontiac had a 4-pinion differential which was used with the 4-sp and the 336. My 4-bbl 4-cyl with a 3-speed blew two 2-pinion diffs before the 12000 mile warranty was up. They put a 4-pinion in the second time! Differential was specific to Pontiac; not a Corvair piece.

Different ring and pinion ratios are probably not available. Only the SD 421 "Powershift" in the 6 SD coupes and 6 wagons had a 3.90.

The pinion gear was splined, and shrunk onto the hollow pinion shaft during manufacture. Making an aftermarket copy would be mega $.

My $.02

With Age comes Wisdom...
sometimes Age shows up alone.

Old 01-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my local Pontiac buddies has one in an MGB with a 66 GTO hoodscoop grafted on. Has enough parts for a couple of engines and would probably sell the MGB. Its got a narrowed 8.5 10 bolt and a Muncie, aluminum flywheel, rollbar. Ported heads, headers, Rover block and crank.Just never made it to the track.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OldSStroker,

Good info on the engines, etc. On your statement "By '62, Pontiac had a 4-pinion differential which was used with the 4-sp and the 336", I assume you meant "By 1963" (since the 326/336 wasn't out until 63). It was my understanding that a 4 spd was not available with the 326/336. I assume you meant 3 spd. Is it perhaps that the 4-pinion differential was "standard" on the 326/336 and the 2-pinion standard on the 4-cyl?

Also, do you know if any Corvair (delivery van, truck, etc.) shared the 4 pinion differential?
It is my impression that the ring/pinions for Corvairs/Tempests were interchangeable (although I have no real insight on this.)

Similarly, I think I read somewhere that some Tempests sold for use in "mountainous areas" had 3.90 gears as standard. Any thoughts on that? I thought that there may be good ratios available as a remnant of the era of the John Fitch racing of Corvairs.

P.S. I noticed you are from NY. Several years ago someone from NY tried to start up a 63 Tempest club and ran notices in rod books, etc. I don't think that idea took hold. Were you ever involved in that deal?