Old 03-08-2003, 06:41 AM

im wrenching on a 62 lemans. its a 4cyl 4bbl automatic. the engine runs pretty good but is kinda noisey when its first fired up. im thinking about pulling it for a little freshening up. this is the point where the fun might begin. my car has been undercoated and is very solid for a 62 (which is unusual for an oregon car) so i want to keep it bone stock. i have this overwhelming desire to do a temporary transplant while the engine is out. i have a 69 olds rocket 350 out of a cutlass. its rated at 310 horsepower. it looks like an easy bolt in with no serious mods. keep in mind i want to put the 4cyl back in after the rebuild. how much torque and horsepower can the automatic handle? does anyone know the horsepower output of the stock 326(336)? did it come in a 2 or 4bbl? i dont want to drag race it or fry the tires but i do enjoy putting my foot into it at opportune times. am i pulling the pin out of grenade by overpowering the transmission? i dont want to destroy an othrwise mechanically sound drivetrain. has anyone ever tried somthing like this?

Old 03-08-2003, 06:41 AM

im wrenching on a 62 lemans. its a 4cyl 4bbl automatic. the engine runs pretty good but is kinda noisey when its first fired up. im thinking about pulling it for a little freshening up. this is the point where the fun might begin. my car has been undercoated and is very solid for a 62 (which is unusual for an oregon car) so i want to keep it bone stock. i have this overwhelming desire to do a temporary transplant while the engine is out. i have a 69 olds rocket 350 out of a cutlass. its rated at 310 horsepower. it looks like an easy bolt in with no serious mods. keep in mind i want to put the 4cyl back in after the rebuild. how much torque and horsepower can the automatic handle? does anyone know the horsepower output of the stock 326(336)? did it come in a 2 or 4bbl? i dont want to drag race it or fry the tires but i do enjoy putting my foot into it at opportune times. am i pulling the pin out of grenade by overpowering the transmission? i dont want to destroy an othrwise mechanically sound drivetrain. has anyone ever tried somthing like this?

Old 03-08-2003, 08:32 AM

IMO, don't do it.

Just bolting the 350 Olds in a '62 will be challenging. You'll end up modifying the car, which you said you'd rather not do.

I believe your first problem will be bolting the "rope" drive shaft to the crank. I seriously doubt you can accurately machine, drill and tap the Olds crank while it's still in the engine.

336 wasn't available in '62. In '63 it came in a 2-bbl version (250 gross hp, I believe) and a 4-bbl, dual exhaust HO version (280 gross maybe). The automatic was strengthened internally for the 336, so your '62 would be very marginal for a 350 V8.

Why not just go thru the 166 hp 4-cyl rebuild now? Most of the internal parts are the same as the V8. I had a 421 right hand HO exhaust manifold on mine (in '62). With a bit of headpipe fabrication it looked stock.

These cars weren't really very fast. My manual '62 4 bbl 195 ran 17.3 @ 78 at Detroit Dragway back then with the cutout open.

About the only V8 conversion I would suggest would be the Buick 215 which was optional. Finding one from a Tempest would be challenging and $$. The little things will drive you nuts.

A free-flowing (non silenced) air cleaner and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on your 195 would sound sweet when the secondaries open. Go for it!

With Age comes Wisdom...
sometimes Age shows up alone.

Old 03-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

one challange besides not breaking anything is drilling and taping the crankshaft for the TQ tube drive shaft,it bolts to the center of the crank.If it was a 63 setup,a stock 350 pontiac would be ok.The rope shaft was bigger and the trans beefed up.Tom

Old 03-10-2003, 01:43 AM

thanks for the info gentlemen. you saved me some work and now i can daydream about other projects. it just looks so simple when your leaning over a fender. so much for "project oldsmontiac".......

"in these parts a man's life often times depends on a mere scrap of information".