Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dick: When I asked for comments I felt a critique was appropriate. I don't believe from reading the comments that anyone has maliciously torn apart this car; if anything I believe everyone does truly like it and has picked out a few faults here and there. We are all, myself included, surprised at the amount of bidders and the amount of money bid to date. Apparently many others see the value of this automobile. I just hope the final bidding exceeds all our expectations and that some of that enthusiasm rubs off on our own cars....... Bill

Last edited by goldeneyee; 11-02-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great looking '61 Cat, won't fault for some minor inaccuracies in the description. Hope the seller gets their price.

But I'd rather have Tom's car.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill,

Yes, your initial post was asking for people to comment on this eBay listing. My comments in my earlier post were aimed at what I believe to be unjust criticism of this particular car. Maybe I've become overly sensitive to that type of comment. Sorry if I came across as narrow-minded, but I am narrow minded about criticism that is not founded in fact.

I believe every one of us on this board loves old Pontiacs. Many of us have shown our cars at shows and heard people comment about items we KNOW are or aren't "correct" (engine color, body color, Tripower detailing, wheel color, speedometer tampering, etc.).

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The thing about this auction is the seller is inferring the car is 100% original, as in never been restored. Now, if he said the engine compartment and suspension were detailed and/or repainted, the 8 lugs were a later addition to the car, etc. that would be fine but he shouldn't hold it out as though the car's never been touched.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckinda60s
With all the detailing done, why the spray-bomb rebuild on the engine? The heads didn't have all the scale removed before they were painted and the bolts, gaskets and everything else were painted. Looking at the way the undercarriage was done, even though it wasn't frame-off, I don't understand why there wasn't a little more time spent on the engine. Maybe the engine was out while the rest of the detailing was done, was the last thing done and they were just tired and wanted to get done? It's a shame, it takes away from the overall car.

As far as the mileage? I believe it's low mileage, but not original. The odometer definitely looks like it's been tampered with at some point in its life.

Overall, a beautiful car with some minor flaws. It's somewhat surprising to see the price so high so early in the auction. I suspect some shilling.

If you're spray rebuilding an engine, you can take a Q-tip with some petroleum jelly on it, coat the bolts and anything you don't want to be colored, spray and then simply wipe off the vaseline and the paint. It looks a lot better than the overspray.

Rich

Rich, I guess I don't understand the part of your post about the bolts and gaskets being painted. Maybe I am missing something, but Pontiac engines were painted after they were assembled, so the bolts and gaskets SHOULD be painted. Even the valve covers were on the engines when they were painted. Try to get some of the original engine paint off the edges of the original chrome valve covers where the 'mask' didn't quite cover them good enough. He!! of a job after being on there for 40 years or so. Engine compartment looks pretty good to me, just looks like it has been driven some, the carbs have leaked a little and the ports on the heads and intake have burned off as usual when they are driven.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a perfect car for a guy that has some cash and wants to get into the old car game. We should not be picking apart one of our own here. It is a beautiful car and would be a welcome addition to anyones garage. I bet if you contacted the seller he would let you know about any work that was done. I would say "who cares" and get in and drive and show it. Like posted before, when was the last time you saw a clean 61 at this price? Especially a Catalina whether it be a Ventura or not. We all should hope the car brings big bucks so our cars will finally get some recognition. We all I feel have mutual feelings about Barett Jackson but I have a feeling we will see a few more Pontiacs run across the block this year and not all of them will be GTO's. What does that have to do with anything? It goes to show that Pontiacs are becoming more and more popular. When I first started messing with cars my 1st Catalina was mistaken for some sort of Impala, but now more people than not hit the nail on the head with the year and engine. I hope the best for this car and hope more show up on ebay and other sites. I also agree that poverty caps would look better but I bet early in its life the eight lugs were thrown on and it made a few passes down the track.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I said from the beginning this is a REALLY nice car!Now that the gloves are off I cry BS on a 12K car,JMO.My car shows 7170 miles on it and I know damn well its more like 107000.The car has a lot of nice restoration,much more and better than mine.
Dave,this is where we part ways on auto 61-63 cars being feared!Beside Ramons and Carols car it is hard to pic more.The only ones were in classes where they could side step the mopars.I was around in those times and met Lloyd and many of the other pontiac racers.The 61-63 autos are a POS and wont even make a good boat anchor.AGAIN,JMHO.Tom

Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Wow, that is a nice car no matter which way you look at it!! Love the price also, what does that make my factory 61 tri-power, 4-speed, 3.90 Catalina worth????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51324097413900.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	109949   Click image for larger version

Name:	94713077089500.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	109950   Click image for larger version

Name:	53325029029000.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	109951  

Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyee
Can it be for real? After looking at the pics, I just don't know. The speedo digits don't perfectly line up which might be a telltale sign of a visit by none other than Miles Turner. The car has obviously been reconditioned from head to tail but still sports spiral shocks, generator tag and a host of other neat factory items. I'd have to give it high marks for that seemingly "Untampered Look" but is it all original? Someone who is a detail artist certainly did a bang up job but are the colors and finish right for the front end steering and suspension components--rear springs and shocks. Nonetheless, its certainly a neat car and with some paperwork to go with the package. Comments...... Bill Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...QQcmdZViewItem
Bill is looking for "our" comment's on it's claim to be a low mileage mostly untouched car.
The seller states it has been all serviced,and that it has been gone through mechanically.And has 85% of it's original paint. It is apparent that is has been freshend up. Paint work,decals,ect are obvious. If I were to buy this car I would change a few things such as a correct battery,a few hose clamps,ect. I know it would a cost a few bucks and take very little time to do so. Bill asked for our comment's and we replied.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe we have had more milage and higher emotions on this thread than the 12,000 mile Cat on the auction block. Quite frankly, I don't understand the high bidding or perhaps I do. Its not often that a man stumbles across such a lightly used, sensuous and, voluptuous 46 year old requiring only a superficial cosmetic touchup...........Bill

Last edited by goldeneyee; 11-02-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This person that bought this car,purchased it from a friend of ours in town.It is a very nice car,and the miles appear correct.I think that a lot of detail work has been done since his purchase.I tried to talk my dad into buying this car,put a 4-speed,and a 389 sd in it ,and race it at the pure stock drags.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John,I have just the car for you!Tom

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Tom:

How dare you speak of "Jim" in such a way - even to call "Jim" a POS. You bring that '61 of yours to Sturgis Dragway next July and "Jim" and I will be more than happy to put you right back in your trailer in short order.

You just talk to Ed G. and he'll tell you about my '63 and "Jim" - you're goin' be readin' Trailer Life Tom and wishin' you had "Jim" as a friend - but "Jim" will never be your friend again for callin' him a POS.

The '57 210 fuelie cars were in my class - E/S - the Mopars were a cake walk. You forgot Jerry's (from Riverside) car too, and the dozens more running autos both "Jim" and the Hydro.

Dave B.

BTW - "Jim" adds to the value of the E-bay car because "Jim" is to be feared by all!!!!!! That car with "Jim" is big time KA!!!!!!!!

DJB_Rock_2005.jpg
Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ROTFLMAO!Dave,the only trans that could not handle"JIM" was the early power glides.I hope you enjoy "JIM",they need a good dry home and tender loving care.I will post a ad on all the pontiac boards to ship all of "JIM" to you freight collect so rent a whrse ASAP.LOL,your "JIM" pal,Tom

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

That is a nice car. Not my favorite color but, it is nice to see one in that shade for comparision. There was a rough Ventura bubble that color on ebay a few times a few years back out of El Paso. I think that one is being built in Phoenix now.
Yesterday and Tuesday, I spent some time with Don Bennnet in Missouri. He had a 348 horse 389 with a slim jim bought new in '62. He won Pomona Winternationals and Indy US Nationals in '62 with that car. He likes that trans ( maybe the only one who does?). He still has his trophies and records, etc. What a great guy. WWII vet too!

One day, I'll have my Jadestone green Cat Bubble (with Bonneville int) on the road to enjoy. In the meantime, it is nice, to see others that are together.

Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

"Real Pontiacs only....no corporate nonsense!"

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve,

Along with the Bonneville interior, you should use a 4 speed Bonneville Super Hydramatic in you Cat. Just my opinion!!

Dick Boneske

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Default One question

I'm new to this thread guys but that is one beautiful '61. I've seen the pictures you've posted on here of your own cars and they also are fantastic. I have one question concerning this car. If it's "original" where are the Tri-Power emblems? Am I missing something here? I owned a '61 Ventura 348/425A Trophy, 4-speed(later converted to a 368/super-duty) and until I removed them, there were Tri-Power emblems on the front fenders. Or didn't the 318HP cars have them? Just wondering. Figured you guys should know what's right. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF368
I'm new to this thread guys but that is one beautiful '61. I've seen the pictures you've posted on here of your own cars and they also are fantastic. I have one question concerning this car. If it's "original" where are the Tri-Power emblems? Am I missing something here? I owned a '61 Ventura 348/425A Trophy, 4-speed(later converted to a 368/super-duty) and until I removed them, there were Tri-Power emblems on the front fenders. Or didn't the 318HP cars have them? Just wondering. Figured you guys should know what's right. Thanks.
Stuart... aren't your fender emblems Tri-Power from '59? Hmm.... kinda strange if these are the same ones, they showed up on another '61 425A Trophy??? is it at all possible some came that way?

DF368 ... you have any pictures or more info?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Tri-Power emblems

Sorry, the only pictures I have of the car are following the conversion to a super-duty. In '68 I bought a new set of fenders following a frame off clean up and full blueprint of the engine. I never bothered remounting the emblems and to this day one of 'em still sets in my tool box. My brother and I were second owners of the car and knew first hand that it came from the dealer with the emblems mounted. I just assumed they were standard on all Tri-Power cars. Now that I think of it I seldom see them at shows. Maybe I'll look for an earlier photo.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the tripower emblems on my car are 1959 parts (I don't recall the part number but it's stamped on the back side of them.) To the best of my knowledge tripower emblems were only factory installed on Pontiacs in 1958 and 1959, but in later years they were sometimes installed at the dealer when the cars were sold.