Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Default My new '59 Star Chief Vista (Pictures)

I turned five years old during late August, 1958. My parents were driving the third, consecutive Pontiac which they had purchased new -- a '56 Chieftain 2-door Catalina. My interest in all things automotive had already awakened, and my earliest recollection of the new car introductions remains the new '59's from GM and Ford. (Chrysler had a weak dealership presence in my rural Oregon hometown.)

When I got my hands on the brochure for the new Wide Track '59 Pontiacs, I went nuts, and began begging my parents to purchase one of the sensational new models. I even entered the contest from the General Mills cereal boxes, where the grand prize was a '59 Pontiac.

The '59 Pontiac dreams abated. My parents replaced the old Chieftain with a new '61 Buick, sticking with the brand through their final passenger car purchase in 1989.

As the years passed, I continued to love the '59 Pontiacs, although my collector car interests led me elsewhere. In the 1980's and 1990's, I test drove a couple of '59 Pontiacs, but they were never the right cars at the right time.

But I began to pay much more attention to all the '59 General Motors cars after acquiring my '59 Buick Electra in 1998. It would be that same year that I first saw a Canyon Copper / Cameo Ivory '59 Star Chief Vista, and I immediately admired the beautiful car. I saw it once again at a Pontiac / Buick show in 1999, and a final time in about 2004.

I had obtained the owner's contact information, including him in my e-mails every year for the '59 General Motors "Imagination in Motion" driving tours I've organized here in the Puget Sound area of Washington state. Year after year, I was disappointed that the beautiful Star Chief was a perennial "no show".

This year, the owner replied to my e-mail, indicating that the Pontiac would be offered for sale. He asked me to pass the word along, but I caught myself, realizing that I was the best candidate to become the Pontiac's next caretaker. My wife was fully onboard with the idea.

When I test drove the car last Sunday and saw it for the first time in about nine years, we realized that the water pump is leaking. One of the local Buick Club members loaded the car onto his trailer for me last night, so you'll see Rick in some of the photos working on securing the car to the trailer for the 35-mile transport to my home.

The car is a 67,000-mile original, built in the Kansas City (Fairfax) Buick-Olds-Pontiac assembly plant, where my '59 Buick was also born. Like my Buick, this one was sold new in Oregon and the original Oregon plates come with the car. The interior is nearly perfect, and the engine compartment is completely correct and presentable. I had no opportunity last night to shoot any interior photos, but will do so this weekend. The only authenticity issue is the coved panel between the taillamps, painted Cameo Ivory to match the roof. The seller indicated that he had fully investigated this, and is convinced that the car was painted in this manner from the factory. (Neither the seller nor I have seen another '59 Pontiac finished with the contrasting color rear panel.) The local '59 Pontiac expert in the Pontiac Club indicates that some cars were, in fact, delivered this way, although he has no documentation to support this idea.

Can't wait to park it in my garage alongside the '59 Buick.

And, here it is in the garage with the Buick!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats! Looks very clean.....enjoy!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW what a nice example!
My first car was a 59 Star Chief
paid $35 for it in 68,with 50 K on it.
Not many options on it,speed minder,reelout trunk light(still have it) PS,PB auto,radio and BU lights.
Yours is sure a keeper

Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks, Poncho60 and Cammer-6! This car has the reel-out trunk light as well. Padded dash, radio w/ rear speaker, and clock. I'm unsure of other options, but hope to discover them all after a little more investigation.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Absolutely stunning.

The styling of entire 1959 GM lineup was simply incredible, your Pontiac and Buick are both perfect examples.

Enjoy.

Bart

Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gorgeous car! It's funny how we can 'imprint' on a particular car at an early age - I was six or seven when my dad bought a '61 Catalina, and from then on 1961 Pontiacs were my favorite.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Stuart, love those '61 Pontiacs also. Still remember the first one I ever saw on the street (Bonneville Vista), and I thought it was stunning. I went with my folks to look at the new '61's on the showroom floor, and there was a new Catalina sedan that I thought was perfect. I remember drooling over the brochure!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 PM

What a nice looking car.... Congratulations

Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW!

Curb feelers too!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

NICE!!!!
Interior shots please!!!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Love all the 59 GMs. Great garage shot of the Poncho & Buick. Now build a larger garage to house more 59 additions. Start looking for a 59 Chevy, Olds, and Caddy.
Awsome Pontiac you have. Great color.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Younker View Post
Love all the 59 GMs. Great garage shot of the Poncho & Buick. Now build a larger garage to house more 59 additions. Start looking for a 59 Chevy, Olds, and Caddy.
Awsome Pontiac you have. Great color.
Tim, it would indeed be fun to have all the '59 GM cars!

Thanks, all, for your kind comments.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM

SWEET!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

Like your car.My 1st car was a 1959 Sunset glow Bonneville vista 4-door my dad gave me that he ordered new and I still remember picking it up when I was 5 years old and I still have it and want to restore.Been buying up NOS parts for it and have all options on it including tri-power.Only options I dont have is power windows speed warning speedometer, bucket seats and AC.These cars ride nice and awesome looks.Love all the chrome on these old cars.I always wanted a convertible but they are too high priced now for me.Enjoy your car.Buick looks nice also

Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cballweg View Post
Like your car.My 1st car was a 1959 Sunset glow Bonneville vista 4-door my dad gave me that he ordered new and I still remember picking it up when I was 5 years old and I still have it and want to restore.Been buying up NOS parts for it and have all options on it including tri-power.Only options I dont have is power windows speed warning speedometer, bucket seats and AC.These cars ride nice and awesome looks.Love all the chrome on these old cars.I always wanted a convertible but they are too high priced now for me.Enjoy your car.Buick looks nice also
Thanks for your reply. A Sunset Glow Bonneville Vista is, in my view, the ultimate 1959 Pontiac. If you ever have opportunity, would love to see photos of your Vista! Or, feel free to drop me an e-mail at: brianL@americanconstco.com

Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Chief

I just posted photos of my new padded dash.Will try to find the photos of my car and post them.Might take a couple of days.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

Posted photos of my 59 Bonney on here.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

Does your car have the glass fuel filter on it.Ive seen some with it but I dont think mine ever had one but maybe my father had it replaced.i now have tri-power on it and all the ones Ive seen have the glass fuel filter.Is yours a 2 barrrel carb or a 4 Barrel carb.Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 PM

My car has the 389 4-bbl. I haven't had any time to look over the car carefully, but will try to check it out this weekend for you.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM

The local owner of a Bonneville Vista (Cameo Ivory with Sunset Glow interior) dropped by for a visit last night, so we shot a few photos. I neglected to shoot any interior photos, but will share these with you all.

This view reveals the different stainless treatment between the Bonneville and Star Chief series cars; the peaks of the Vee'd tailfins on the Bonneville are fully trimmed, but only the outer fin receives the peak molding on the Star Chief: