THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
With "ignore", an antagonistic member can still post in my thread and can be "quoted",
Forgot about that part.

I don't 'ignore' anyone at least with that feature.

And if they 'ignore' me I guess I wouldn't care either.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Key word: "antagonistic". Let that sink in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Better than good. With "ignore", an antagonistic member can still post in my thread and can be "quoted", which does not get ignored by the system. He or she has then effectively invaded a space in which they really are not welcome by the thread starter.

If such a person is unwelcome in my yard or living room or the barstool next me, they are also unwelcome in my thread. I'd like to be my own bouncer on threads I start.
So all you want is partial ownership of the forum without actually contributing any monetary support or time to maintaining it? That makes perfect sense.
You have an opportunity to own your yard, but not this forum where we're "guests".

Ignore is a tool to help you do what you can't make yourself do. It isn't there to be a personal bully pulpit or ball bat.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK Doug, let's further the "barstool" analogy.

A guy pops into his favorite local pub/restaurant and grabs a stool for a beer while waiting for his friends for their weekly get-together. There is one lonely and friendless guy there who is a generally mild nuisance, somewhat insulting, but mostly ignored by the regulars.

About the time the guy finishes his beer, his friends show up for dinner, Mr. Lonely's been plopped on the stool next to him for a few minutes. The guy and his buddies occupy a booth, not inviting Mr. Lonely.

Mr. Lonely cannot find another victim at the bar (a frequent thing), so "invades" their booth by pulling up a chair. Remember, he was not invited. The guy and his buddies don't really care to bother the owner or manager, so they ask him politely to leave them alone. Repeatedly. Over several years. Especially since Mr. Lonely's employment situation has changed and he's got a lot more time to sit in the pub, nearly every waking minute.

After so many years, Mr. Lonely starts to assert himself, and insert himself, into more and more conversations where he was not invited (and again was frequently asked to leave them be), and refuses to be a gentleman. He's become more rude, more insulting and generally more obnoxious.

Consequently, the pushback from those intruded upon increases a like amount, to the point where suggestions are now being made to the manager (who knows this is an irritant to his patrons, but doesn't ever really butt in because they're big boys who can handle themselves) and maybe the owner.

See, a gentleman knows when he is unwelcome, when to keep his distance and when to not make a nuisance of himself. A boor (and general bore) does not.

I'm asking for a little more control over that scenario in this virtual world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very well put Glenn. I would have made the analogy that he's like a boil on the butt. If you can get rid of it, why not?

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:

A guy pops into his favorite local pub/restaurant and grabs a stool for a beer while waiting for his friends for their weekly get-together. There is one lonely and friendless guy there who is a generally mild nuisance, somewhat insulting, but mostly ignored by the regulars.

About the time the guy finishes his beer, his friends show up for dinner, Mr. Lonely's been plopped on the stool next to him for a few minutes. The guy and his buddies occupy a booth, not inviting Mr. Lonely.

Mr. Lonely cannot find another victim at the bar (a frequent thing), so "invades" their booth by pulling up a chair. Remember, he was not invited. The guy and his buddies don't really care to bother the owner or manager, so they ask him politely to leave them alone. Repeatedly. Over several years. Especially since Mr. Lonely's employment situation has changed and he's got a lot more time to sit in the pub, nearly every waking minute.

After so many years, Mr. Lonely starts to assert himself, and insert himself, into more and more conversations where he was not invited (and again was frequently asked to leave them be), and refuses to be a gentleman. He's become more rude, more insulting and generally more obnoxious.

Consequently, the pushback from those intruded upon increases a like amount, to the point where suggestions are now being made to the manager (who knows this is an irritant to his patrons, but doesn't ever really butt in because they're big boys who can handle themselves) and maybe the owner.

See, a gentleman knows when he is unwelcome, when to keep his distance and when to not make a nuisance of himself. A boor (and general bore) does not.

I'm asking for a little more control over that scenario in this virtual world.
Right, you're asking for something as a guest on a barstool from someone who is not interested in engaging in this conversation with you, but you keep pushing your barstool into other closed rooms into his eyesight even though he has started a presentation about how you/we/he can support this hobby with a positive comment toward other members in the restaurant and separate meeting rooms.

You've walked onto the stage of a separate conference room from a bar full of spouting narcissists to openly complain about how the business owner runs his bar which happens to have a heading stating not to go if you have delicate feelings. And you wonder why people outside the bar don't like to hear about the bar at all?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need for me to engage this any further, Doug. I painted a word picture to provide clarity towards my request. You've proved my points by trying to make this into an argument with an antagonistic approach and over-stretched analogies, not to mention insults for the people who have chosen to have you on ignore ("bar full of spouting narcissists"). Goading someone into further arguing is the mark of a true internet troll and I will not participate.

Back on "ignore"...

DM_FAN, if you cannot enable such a "blocking" feature as I requested, please see if "ignore" feature can be made to ignore all "quoted" posts. Either one suits me, and many others who use the "ignore" feature (which is obviously quite necessary).

Thank you!

Last edited by einstein; 09-20-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
There is one lonely and friendless guy there who is a generally mild nuisance, somewhat insulting, but mostly ignored by the regulars.
Oh, you weren't the least insulting and condescending were you Hypo?

Everybody wishes the barstools would stop getting dragged out of the bar into the more decent parts of the building.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:

A guy pops into his favorite local pub/restaurant and grabs a stool for a beer while waiting for his friends for their weekly get-together. There is one lonely and friendless guy there who is a generally a mild nuisance, somewhat insulting, but mostly ignored by the regulars.
ZZZzzzing!

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Careful, Bob. You don't want to lose your mud trying to celebrate.
And WOW I'm getting more popular in the Lobby every day.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
You already have the IGNORE option. Use that if you don't care for someone LOL. Steve is encouraging a GOOD THING! A "get lost" button is just asking for a pi$$ing war to start.
Shazam! Listen to Mary Ann...pretty simple.

I see now Poncho V8 Doug has been calling this one dead on accurate: a few members cant IGNORE him and are following him around...

How hard can it be to: just don't read the quoted posts if you know they will upset you?

Darndest thing I have seen on any forum....but then it got worse: to request "more" ignore features added on the owners dime (who invited you in as a guest in the first place and told you the rules multiple times) when its now crystal clear you are unable to utilize the main ignore feature after months of trying?

OHTAY.....lol...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLHarper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the 'Thanks' button is a good idea, IF it was used as intended.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to JLHarper For This Useful Post:
Thanks for a post that is useful to a person.

As it stands now, it's just a way for some people to get 'noticed' more.

Maybe the 'Thanked Standings' list should be for the actual post being 'Thanked' for?
Since it's the information itself being the useful information?
(original intent was to be able to find that useful information?)

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Suspended

I've never heard the theory that THANKS is a way to call attention to oneself before. Now that's one cynical theory, John...and an assumption. I would think being thanked by someone who is trolling you is a manner of killing with kindness. But I'm not as cynical I guess.

I don't want to forget anybody by mentioning a few names, but there are a few members who deserve a thanked status for demonstrating an online persona that's worthy of acknowledgement. They are few. They have positive outlooks. We probably all agree on most of them. Why don't we let the system work the way it's supposed to?

I agree that the content of the posting is what should receive the thanks.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try clicking on the names of some of the 'Top' people and see what they are 'Thanking'?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Sorry, I don't know what to click on to see what is being thanked.

I see a thanks at the bottom of someone's post and that's as far as I understand the system. For instance (IMO) in this thread people known for trolling are thanking other people for insulting comments toward other members. I'm thanking people in this thread to help get them over the shock of a thanks system. In at least one case I'm thanking someone for their observances.

What am I missing in the system that proves what a person is thanking? I'm not saying I'm not a cynic. I just don't see the ability to self promote by thanking someone as you insinuate.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 09-21-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to bottom of main page: PY Forum

Click on a name, lets say Mike Leach he has quite a few 'Thanks'.
(#2 in list)

Mike Leach

or

John M #6 on list

or

Jeff Kinsler #7 on list

or

Drunk Injun #8 on list

or

Lil Jack #9 on list

etc. etc. etc

How many of those top guys do you agree have a good 'Thanked' post that other people coming here to search for info etc. would like?

BTW, here is yours:

PonchoV8

No stroking of egos anywhere here, right?

Last edited by johnta1; 09-21-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta spell it right....leech

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike Leech

Looks like they won't link by the page, so have to click on their name and then click on theStatistics then 'Thanked' link.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So since you don't agree with a post I or anyone else made and someone else liked it was not good?

What would you like...

A I hate that post button?

A no thanks button?

Where are you going with this? I reread mine and others. They were either helpful or someone saying what needed to be said. The truth IS HELPFUL. Too bad the guys hearing it don't like it. Life isn't fair... Everyone gets an equal say even if what they say isn't true or useful. OTHERS may find it useful that someone is willing to CALL IT LIKE IT IS.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no way in h*ll that a EHTTFMF is a 'good' or 'useful' post.
Then have a lot of people 'Thank' it.

Heck, I have Eheads and race them.

Was that useful?
Will other people reading this think so?

Most people don't even know what it means.

Then the ones were people are called names and are thanked for it?