Old 11-24-2020, 07:18 PM

Default Manifold Gasket Question

I have a 1967 GTO with 670 heads.

The relatively thin divider between the center two ports has some corrosion due to the fact (I'm guessing,) that the original metal gasket didn't have a center portion to seal that area off that allowed exhaust gas to blow through into the adjacent port.

I can use the original (reproduction,) steel gaskets. If I do so gas will continue to pass between those ports. or, I can use a modern Fel-Pro gasket that has the divider portion that will seal off the gap partially or entirely.

The steel ones will give me an original look. The new ones I'm sure will give a better seal.

My plan is to use Permatex Copper sealant on the gaskets to help seal up any imperfections.

Question...does that blow through matter? If not I may as well use the steel gaskets and get the original look. If it does matter of course, I suppose the newer gaskets will be the best choice. It'll be a nice driver, not a concourse trailer queen where points are of concern.

Thoughts?

SusieQ

Old 12-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ultra copper

Old 12-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Again for the ultra copper!

Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

Use Ultra Copper instead of gaskets?